My Reaction to all your whining on the Mario Series

#41OoSubaruoOPosted 11/11/2012 10:02:46 PM
Kingboo83 posted...
Delirious_Beard posted...
The next Paper Mario will most likely go back to its roots, then that game will be flooded with "ZOMG IS Y U REHASH?".

This would not happen. At all.

For real.

No one was even going "ZOMG REHASH" when we first heard news of the game coming out and saw images/videos of it when it looked like it had retained the basic PM64/TTYD battle formula, with the chain chomp partner and everything. Everyone was ecstatic about the fact that the game would finally be returning back to its original formula. It's been how many years now since we've had a "true" sequel to TTYD? We already had SPM to deviate enough from the mechanics of the first two games, so I would imagine people would feel relieved over the idea of the series returning to its natural roots once again, since those two games were considered so great and "abnormal" from the regular Mario game, in a sense.

If it was a series like NSMB, in which case, we're getting a game nearly every other year or so, then I could understand more so how they might wanna take a path really distinct from its previous iterations for the next one.

I wasn't even talking about GameFAQs in general, cause you know the fan base for Paper Mario is beyond just here you know? I'm talking about the fan base in general. There's always going to be those few people who do this, it's common knowledge in any fan base.
#42SpunkySixPosted 11/11/2012 10:02:49 PM
wiiking96 posted...
This has been covered way too many times. Different series == different expectations. No one seems to get this.

It's been years since TTYD, and there are a plethora of ways to not make a sequel of it a rehash while also making it true to the original games. There needs to be a balance. People act likes there's no middle ground.

It's true. Honestly though, I just got the game today and I'm badabababa lovin' it.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
So, why was Kylie Koopa not in every spinoff again?
#43LUlGIPosted 11/11/2012 10:07:04 PM
The reason hardcore sonic fans didn't like Generations if way different than why some hardcore PM fans didn't like Sticker Star.
#44Lupin the 4thPosted 11/11/2012 10:10:12 PM
I'm a hardcore Sonic fan and I loved Generations. The reason SOME hardcore fans hated generations is because they're jaded little goobers who don't even know what they actually want.

It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario with both this series and Sonic for that matter. Change too little and people will whine that it's getting stale and repetitive. Change too much and people will whine that it's not true to the games before it. Sadly most hardcore fans will go into one of those two camps either way, so companies will just do what they personally think is right for the series with that in mind.
---
The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again! Ha Ha Ha!)
-Lupin III: Stealing jewels and schooling fools since 1967-
#45Kingboo83Posted 11/11/2012 10:13:07 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
Kingboo83 posted...
Delirious_Beard posted...
The next Paper Mario will most likely go back to its roots, then that game will be flooded with "ZOMG IS Y U REHASH?".

This would not happen. At all.

For real.

No one was even going "ZOMG REHASH" when we first heard news of the game coming out and saw images/videos of it when it looked like it had retained the basic PM64/TTYD battle formula, with the chain chomp partner and everything. Everyone was ecstatic about the fact that the game would finally be returning back to its original formula. It's been how many years now since we've had a "true" sequel to TTYD? We already had SPM to deviate enough from the mechanics of the first two games, so I would imagine people would feel relieved over the idea of the series returning to its natural roots once again, since those two games were considered so great and "abnormal" from the regular Mario game, in a sense.

If it was a series like NSMB, in which case, we're getting a game nearly every other year or so, then I could understand more so how they might wanna take a path really distinct from its previous iterations for the next one.

I wasn't even talking about GameFAQs in general, cause you know the fan base for Paper Mario is beyond just here you know? I'm talking about the fan base in general. There's always going to be those few people who do this, it's common knowledge in any fan base.

Of course. And I did mean the fanbase in general, from not just GameFAQS, but from other websites (where people got to comment on the articles/footage), to YouTube, to web forums, etc. (that's about as much information as I can get in terms of generality anyway). I know there's always going to be that group that's unsatisfiable anyway. I did notice a peep or two here and there about people complaining how it looked generic or how there was no way it was going to be as good as TTYD or something, but it really was diluted out by a much larger vocal majority that was really excited for another PM experience, whether or not it would've retained the exact in-battle gameplay as TTYD, as far as I could tell/speculate. I'm only basing my knowledge on from what I've noticed and gathered anyway. Sometimes you just can't please people, and I get that.
#46LUlGIPosted 11/11/2012 10:13:45 PM
Well yeah, you can't please everyone anyway.

As much hate as Generations got, this was probably the biggest complaint of the entire game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16IBC_kD5o

I mean, I enjoyed it greatly, but that did come off as odd to me.
#47OoSubaruoOPosted 11/11/2012 10:17:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#48Riku___Posted 11/11/2012 10:33:08 PM(edited)
The thing we're forgetting here is that the two games at the top are two of the "New!" series, which is just garbage all together (no, NOT because it's like older SM games). The New series is a bad example. Staying true to the original formula is always the best way to go.
---
It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.
#49Devil_wings00Posted 11/11/2012 10:46:44 PM
Well I just take it as it's very hard for a developer to strike Lightning twice. I mean just look at the Mario and Luigi games. The first one is a classic and the sequels while good never really ever got up to the "wow this is awesome" factor that first one did. Personally because the sequels had ZERO replay value once you beat the fairly short main game.

Nintendo has just chosen the PM series as that one where they try new stuff to see what sticks. It sucks if the new stuff doesn't stick for you and you will miss the old games but at least they are willing to change. We have NSMB to show as an example of CoD/Madden style Mario games (never changing rehash's on a regular release schedule) and personally it's not very good. I'd much rather see them throwing stuff out there that's different because then when the new stuff does stick you get OG Paper Mario/TTYD/M&L/galaxy.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#50SeamusOHasseyPosted 11/11/2012 10:52:03 PM
Haters are going to hate no matter what.
---
You're not funny and nobody likes you.
http://www.rpad.tv/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/T-Mobile-Carly.jpg