Seems like this is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. What side are you on?

#11blabberdooPosted 11/12/2012 8:29:59 PM
It's definitely not that black-and-white.

I love the writing and puzzles but I hate the lack of real RPG elements and mostly no solid hints. A lot of puzzles don't make sense until after you figure out the solution which requires too much trial and error.

Which is a really interesting switch because all of the other games have a partner who won't stop giving you hints. Kersti is useless.

So I love it, but it's frustrating. I can't even say "compared to the other games" because it's in a league all its own.

Waiting for a proper Paper Mario 3.
#12TeqkillaPosted 11/12/2012 8:32:13 PM
Love, and I've grown up with the series.

It's fresh, entertaining, and funny. The qualms people have with the sticker system seem to be entirely hypothetical, it works amazingly in game. I have more times where my journal is full rather than empty, like people worried about.
---
M.I.A. | Azealia Banks | Outkast
#13WhenZebrasgobadPosted 11/12/2012 8:37:52 PM
I don't like it. I don't hate it nearly as much as super paper mario though.
---
orc
#14FlyinTonitePosted 11/12/2012 8:43:50 PM
Level design in this game curb stomps the rest of the games in the series, so love so far. I like to think, and this game has some neat puzzles. Just beat world 1, so obviously I'm comparing the world 1s of all paper marios.
---
My karma was 777 on April 3rd, 2012
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#15ApolloJusticeAAPosted 11/12/2012 9:05:19 PM
Extreme Love this is my game of addiction I cant wait to try playing it different ways.
---
Alt to Millamac: The Official Apollo Justice of all boards
#16squeakthedragonPosted 11/12/2012 9:19:13 PM
I love it, but I see it as the "correct" fusion of action mario and paper mario, that Super Paper Mario was trying to find but failed. It had the wrong strategy.

This game is literally Super Paper Mario World. Using the Mario World map structure complete with tons of hidden exits and side branches was a great idea. It's well conceived for portable play. Navigating the stages is even more action feeling than the first two Paper Mario games, and battles with enemies is spaced out well so they're not too frequent.

Once you get into the economy of the sticker system, it's a great system. Generally, this is an incredibly well made game.
#17WitchBaby4200Posted 11/12/2012 9:44:31 PM
I'm in the like it category. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I feel like they could have at least done some things differently. I miss having XP. That is one thing I definitely miss. This reminds me of a regular Mario side scroller with sort of a minimal RPG element. The idea of this game is pretty neat, but they could have kept the XP for an overall better feel. I think it would have added to the game. We would want to jump into battle more, in my opinion.
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
#18OoSubaruoOPosted 11/12/2012 9:46:38 PM
WitchBaby4200 posted...
I'm in the like it category. I'm definitely enjoying the game, but I feel like they could have at least done some things differently. I miss having XP. That is one thing I definitely miss. This reminds me of a regular Mario side scroller with sort of a minimal RPG element. The idea of this game is pretty neat, but they could have kept the XP for an overall better feel. I think it would have added to the game. We would want to jump into battle more, in my opinion.

If they did keep XP, wouldn't they need to re-do the damage on each sticker?
#19WitchBaby4200Posted 11/12/2012 9:54:01 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
WitchBaby4200 posted...

If they did keep XP, wouldn't they need to re-do the damage on each sticker?

Not sure I get what you mean. I see stickers as attacks. Just like there are different stickers for one attack (for example a jump or mallet) each sticker could have (as it does already) a higher level of attack. Or keep the same damage of each sticker given, since the stickers do re spawn. You would have to use more stickers for a foe that is stronger. Or as Mario gets stronger his sticker attacks get stronger. That's how I see it anyway, but I could be completely wrong. Lol.
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
#20iloveheavyrainPosted 11/12/2012 9:55:09 PM
Love. Goty for any system thus far. The best 3ds game since Mario 3D land.