Sticker Star VS Super Paper Mario

#1robbrim00Posted 11/13/2012 4:57:00 AM
Many feel that Super Paper Mario was a good game, but not quite as good as the first two games. From the reactions/reviews I've seen, Sticker Star seems to be getting a similar reaction. So how do the two games compare? Is Sticker Star better than Super Paper Mario, or is it the other way around?

Many won't have finished the game yet (I have to wait until December to play it unfortunately). But feel free to post your thoughts of the game so far, in comparison to SPM, and you can update us when you've finished it. If you've played all the games in the series, you can compare Sticker Star to any and all of them.

Sticker Star VS Super Paper Mario

Fight!
#2InfernislePosted 11/13/2012 5:48:50 AM
I like sticker star more as a paper mario game. I liked SPM a lot, but it just felt. . . off. It felt like it would've been better off with a different name.
#3PaperSpockPosted 11/13/2012 7:11:45 AM
It's like they put back everything they took away in SPM, but removed everything they kept in SPM as well.
---
Fame is but a slow decay.
-Theodore Tilton
#4marc5third3Posted 11/13/2012 7:15:59 AM
Personally I like Sticker Star more than SPM.

However, I still like the first 2 the best.

However, I'd say I still find all 4 Paper Marios to be very enjoyable.
---
"You killed my brother, you sons of a *****es!"
- Mario, from Robot Chicken Episode
#5Jak7733Posted 11/13/2012 7:31:23 AM
In my opinion, Super Paper Mario is better.

Super Paper Mario still had a brilliant story, 'helpers', humorous dialogue, and a basic RPG-like system (by which I mean HP, levels, stats, and experience) like the previous entries, but it took on a more action oriented role, and in the end, it simply feels like the previous two games with seamless real-time battles instead of transitioned turnbased battles.

Sticker Star, on the other hand, feels like Nintendo heard the complaints about SPM being too different and decided to mix the old with the new. So the result is a game that's trying too hard to be the more traditional turn based RPG of PM64 and TTYD while at the same time, trying too hard to be the level based platforming style of SPM, while not doing particularly great at either.

The sticker gimmick is fine and works well in the paper universe and the humor in the game is absolutely fantastic, I would even say the best in the series. There's a lot of really great and fun to use stickers available, too. The world map system is pretty reminiscent of SMW and it's quite enjoyable (and even preferable to SPM's world selection). The music's pretty good too and the art is fantastic. You can really feel the importance placed on everything being paper with cardboard structures and all the paper physics, such as crumpling and folding. My favorite part is that the game doesn't force you through a bunch of unskippable tutorials to jump into the action.

That's where the good ends.

The battles, despite what people say around here, are pointless if you are good at the slots. All they give you are coins and rarely you'll get a sticker from a battle. Coins are pointless if you're good at the slots. Not as pointless as they are in NSMB2 as they DO serve as a convenience catalyst, but I would expect speed runs of this game to surface with little to no battles and almost no coin consumption. The story is almost non-existant. The intro into the game, aside from a brief narration of what the Stickerfest is about, is completely without dialogue. There's little actual story progression beyond your initial task, as well. You do have a Navi-like helper but Kersti is pretty useless when you actually need her help as she will generally just say "Try paperizing if you get stuck." which is totally unhelpful.

Even though I listed a bunch of good points and only 3 bad points, I feel like the bad outweighs the good. I place a high importance on the reward for battling and story, as well as conveyance, and the game comes up short in those categories.
---
What the hell is a Firioniel? Is that the cable that fits an iFrion? - ponosmcgee on Dissidia Final Fantasy
#6manobonPosted 11/13/2012 7:50:19 AM
I'd rather have had an action-rpg, instead of turn-based battles (I haven't played either, but I've seen gameplay, read reviews, etc.). Unfortunately, I doubt Nintendo will make an action RPG/Super Paper Mario for the 3DS after releasing this one.
#7fon1988Posted 11/13/2012 9:57:19 AM
marc5third3 posted...
Personally I like Sticker Star more than SPM.

However, I still like the first 2 the best.

However, I'd say I still find all 4 Paper Marios to be very enjoyable.

My feelings exactly.

I wish more people on this board felt this way, but people will be people haha
#8Solar_Boy_DanXPosted 11/13/2012 2:34:31 PM(edited)
FFFFFF..IIIIIIIIIIIIII......NNN........NN...IIIIIIIIIIIIII...SSSSS.......HH.........HH
F...................IIII...........NNNNNN............IIIII........S.................HH.........HH
FFFF.......IIIIIIIIIIIIII......N...NNN...........IIIIIIIIIIIII...SSSSS........HHHHHHH
F.................................N......N.........................................S.........HH.........HH.........................................................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,,,...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...........,,,,,...................,,,,,,,,,,,,....,,,.................,,SSSSS.........HH.........HH

THIS, Sticker star
---
I'm Black ace lookin for bros. Fc:219343500170
The Official Challenge Gamer of Gamefaqs