The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

#11wiiking96Posted 11/16/2012 11:14:03 AM
klecser posted...
Counterpwnt posted...

I think we can objectively say that a journey consisting of a series of disconnected achievements is less interesting than a detailed, sweeping story that ties everything together. That's what makes a good story, in my opinion.

I think that we can also objectively say that gamers have vastly different expectations when they play a game. ;)

Well, the general expectation of a RPG is of a sweeping story. All of the previous Mario RPGs have been very story heavy, and if they didn't like, then they shouldn't expect something else from another Mario RPG.
---
Quote and Curly Brace for Super Smash Bros 4!
Appeasing an unlimited amount of chocolate . . .
#12phisho873Posted 11/16/2012 11:14:17 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
phisho873 posted...
You've put into words what I've been trying to. I've been describing this as Paper Mario without a soul, but you explained why.

That was my intention. If just to explain the problem that people like you and I have with Sticker Star.

I'm not demanding everyone look at the first two games that way. But for those of us who do, Sticker Star is understandably disappointing.

First three games, in my opinion. SPM was a little bit of a disappointment in gameplay expectations, but every point you made about the differences between this game and the first two games could be said about the differences between this and SPM, as well.
---
Shut up.
http://blaremagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lights.jpg
#13Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:15:20 AM
klecser posted...
Counterpwnt posted...

I think we can objectively say that a journey consisting of a series of disconnected achievements is less interesting than a detailed, sweeping story that ties everything together. That's what makes a good story, in my opinion.

I think that we can also objectively say that gamers have vastly different expectations when they play a game. ;)

We can say we expected anything because of Super Paper Mario. We can still be disappointed, having based our expectations on the first two games in the series—"series" being a very, very key word here.

I think many gamers shared my expectations. Look at how many people are disappointed by this game.
#14Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:18:16 AM
phisho873 posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
phisho873 posted...
You've put into words what I've been trying to. I've been describing this as Paper Mario without a soul, but you explained why.

That was my intention. If just to explain the problem that people like you and I have with Sticker Star.

I'm not demanding everyone look at the first two games that way. But for those of us who do, Sticker Star is understandably disappointing.

First three games, in my opinion. SPM was a little bit of a disappointment in gameplay expectations, but every point you made about the differences between this game and the first two games could be said about the differences between this and SPM, as well.

True. The issue here is with the story, and SPM was fine in that regard.

PM64 and TTYD set a standard for gameplay, story, and design aesthetic (visual/aural make-up). Almost all games can be broken into those three elements.

PM64 and TTYD had a certain quality of gameplay, story, and design aesthetic.
SPM had that same quality of story and design aesthetic, just different gameplay.
PM:SS has only the quality of design aesthetic (and frankly, I don't think the music is as good as it was. "Toad Town Variations" by itself is compositional brilliance.)
#15Makoa123Posted 11/16/2012 11:28:44 AM
People are comparing this game too much to the prequels. We get it you liked the first two games. Yes we get it, this game could have been another one of those games. But it's not, so stop reminiscing about old games and move on. I think Sticker Star is good and deserves to go on the shelf with the other good Mario games.
---
FC: 3654 8659 5013
#16klecserPosted 11/16/2012 11:31:03 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
Look at how many people are disappointed by this game.

The rule of the internet is that for every person who comes to the internet to complain, there are about 10,000 people IRL that have no problems with the product. GameFAQs attracts the vocal minority.
#17Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:32:40 AM
Makoa123 posted...
People are comparing this game too much to the prequels. We get it you liked the first two games. Yes we get it, this game could have been another one of those games. But it's not, so stop reminiscing about old games and move on. I think Sticker Star is good and deserves to go on the shelf with the other good Mario games.

What I'm saying is that what makes SMRPG/the Paper Mario games stand out at all from the other Mario games is that they are story-centric traditionally, not gameplay-centric.

This game is not story-centric. Would you complain if you ordered a hot dog at a restaurant and got a hamburger? It's as simple as that. This is a board for this game and we are discussing it.

Your phrase "but it's not" is exactly what's being discussed here. And this isn't for the people who don't have a problem. This thread is here to pinpoint what the problem is. If you have no problem, then you can't add anything. Unless you want to argue that Sticker Star IS story-centric—to which I say, best of luck.
#18quietisgoodPosted 11/16/2012 11:35:35 AM
Your partners were gained in a sensible manner.
lol

What I'm saying is that what makes SMRPG/the Paper Mario games stand out at all from the other Mario games is that they are story-centric traditionally, not gameplay-centric.

lol
---
Hypothetically, if the only choice you've got is to do the wrong thing, then it's not really the wrong thing, it's more like fate.
#19Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 11:40:09 AM
quietisgood posted...
lol

lol

What are you lol'ing at? Those games ARE story-centric. Super Mario Sunshine is gameplay-centric. There's more focus on gameplay mechanics than story mechanics—which would be elements like narrative, dialogue, and cinematic material.

And the partners you acquired in the first two games had a reason to join you, a reason to be where they were when you encountered them, and brought specific personality (and on the gameplay side of things, a specific skill) to Mario's journey.
#20quietisgoodPosted 11/16/2012 11:42:24 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
quietisgood posted...
lol

lol

What are you lol'ing at? Those games ARE story-centric. Super Mario Sunshine is gameplay-centric. There's more focus on gameplay mechanics than story mechanics—which would be elements like narrative, dialogue, and cinematic material.

And the partners you acquired in the first two games had a reason to join you, a reason to be where they were when you encountered them, and brought specific personality (and on the gameplay side of things, a specific skill) to Mario's journey.

i don't think you understand what a story-centric videogame is.
---
Hypothetically, if the only choice you've got is to do the wrong thing, then it's not really the wrong thing, it's more like fate.