The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

#281quietisgoodPosted 11/27/2012 3:03:30 PM
I find it amusing how quietisgood's argument against PM64 beginning in medias res seems to be that the very concept of medias res is impossible, as the place where the story starts is always the beginning by definition.

not really, if you want, i can list several games that start in medias res for you, but judging by the simple fact you can't read i won't bother.

Actually we're talking about how Sticker Star compares to the Paper Mario series as a whole, so yes, Super Paper Mario is completely fair game.
if you could read (i understand that this is a difficult thing to do, but you can do it!!), you would notice that this very specific discussion was about paper mario (the first game), not ttyd (another game) or spm (another game) or paper mario (the series)

idk bro, but it's a bit hypocritical to say i have a mental illness when you can't read.
---
Say what you want about Americans but we understand capitalism. You buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for.
#282ThatGuyZPosted 11/27/2012 3:44:01 PM
Cool story, TC.
---
For every set of games I see the exact same weapons, specials, and characters used over and over, I die a little as a gamer..;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#283ThatGuyZPosted 11/27/2012 3:48:22 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Post "I agree" if you believe that either quietisgood, Attack_A_Horse, or both are trolls.

*Signs*
---
For every set of games I see the exact same weapons, specials, and characters used over and over, I die a little as a gamer..;3DS FC-5370-0900-3336
#284Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2012 6:15:03 PM
I just remembered all of the letters and letter delivery in PM64. Talk about a little immersion, having to travel and remember the names of characters and locations and stuff. Some of those letter deliveries turn into side quests, too. It really gives the world a living, breathing sort of feel.
#285Attack_A_HorsePosted 11/27/2012 6:28:16 PM
Counterpwnt posted...
I just remembered all of the letters and letter delivery in PM64. Talk about a little immersion, having to travel and remember the names of characters and locations and stuff. Some of those letter deliveries turn into side quests, too. It really gives the world a living, breathing sort of feel.

Desperately trying to get this topic to 500 posts?
#286DMZappPosted 11/27/2012 8:19:40 PM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...

Blablablatrololo

Desperately trying to annoy us?
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#287Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 4:46:35 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...

Desperately trying to get this topic to 500 posts?

Yes. It just means so much to me, you see. When my parents passed, they left me with a single dying wish: No, it wasn't to be rich and famous. And no, it had nothing to do with owning a lot of cats. It was to make a topic on GameFAQs, and then stuff it full of random nonsense until it hit 500 posts. Step 2: ??? Step 3: Profit.
#288Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2012 5:50:59 AM
ThatGuyZ posted...
Cool story, TC.

Ironically, that's exactly my problem with Sticker Star. Kensuke Tanabe even said directly in an interview that they had taken the focus off of the story and off of characters, per Miyamoto's request that they use no original characters, and instead were going to focus on "paper." Not only can we infer that the first three games were, by association, focused on story and characters, we can also infer that Miyamoto clipped this game's wings and potentially ruined it compared to what it might have been.
#289Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 6:00:47 AM
"I remember how the first thing (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san said when he saw that was, "That's not right." He started with how Mario wouldn't have a sword, but might have a hammer."

Looks like the hammer serves more than just a "gameplay" purpose. Duh.
#290Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 6:11:21 AM
"Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the projectó'It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?'"

In other words, no story.

"In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series."

In other words, no story = the exact opposite direction from the other games in the series.

They sound pretty story-centric to me. Man, what a freakin' shame.