The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

#291Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 6:15:05 AM
"That's right. At first, we were making a lot of individual allies as in a regular RPG, but when we decided to focus on stickers, in order to make a clear change with previous games in the series, it was like we started all over again by throwing out the system—including those characters—that we had made up to that point.

You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.

Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.

I had actually been thinking for a long time that I wanted to get rid of the RPG experience points. In the Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland28 game, which Kudo-san and I worked on together, the player-character didn't develop at all. We adopted a system whereby they solved everything with money."

So basically, they threw out the story, partners, leveling, experience points, and character development. In favor of solving everything with stickers.

Who thought this was what people would want?
#292DavidawPosted 11/29/2012 7:27:12 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
"Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—'It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?'"

In other words, no story.

"In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series."

In other words, no story = the exact opposite direction from the other games in the series.

They sound pretty story-centric to me. Man, what a freakin' shame.

I really think Miyamoto has lost touch with his customers. And I really hate to say that, because I loved what he has done in the past, but it seems like lately he has been making some piss-poor decisions.
#293Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 7:32:30 AM
Davidaw posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
"Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—'It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?'"

In other words, no story.

"In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series."

In other words, no story = the exact opposite direction from the other games in the series.

They sound pretty story-centric to me. Man, what a freakin' shame.

I really think Miyamoto has lost touch with his customers. And I really hate to say that, because I loved what he has done in the past, but it seems like lately he has been making some piss-poor decisions.

I just don't get it. It's like he has no idea what the other Paper Mario games were like at all. He thinks it's just something happening with Mario, and Mario is made of paper. The guy's focus seems entirely absorbed with gameplay and controller-based gimmicks. Whatever happened to focusing on good storytelling? An interactive media can be less "interactive" and still be engaging the player's imagination, ability to read, etc.
#294Attack_A_HorsePosted 11/29/2012 8:38:57 AM
Counterpwnt, you do realize there's a whole topic discussing the article. You don't have to post 5 times in a row (every 30 minutes) discussing quotes from the article with yourself.

Dare I say, it's a bit insane.
#295Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 8:40:24 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt, you do realize there's a whole topic discussing the article. You don't have to post 5 times in a row (every 30 minutes) discussing quotes from the article with yourself.

Dare I say, it's a bit insane.

I'm a man grown, I can do whatever I want foo'.
#296Attack_A_HorsePosted 11/29/2012 8:42:42 AM
I'd also like to point out this quote:

"With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting."
#297Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 8:45:03 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...

"With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting."

Interesting is not the same thing as expected or necessary.

Also, it's my opinion that people who play Paper Mario more for their stories and less because they're Nintendo games probably aren't in Club Nintendo, but I realize that's a stretch.
#298Attack_A_HorsePosted 11/29/2012 8:47:29 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...

Also, it's my opinion that people who play Paper Mario more for their stories and less because they're Nintendo games probably aren't in Club Nintendo, but I realize that's a stretch.

Grasp for dem straws counterpwnt, KEEP GRASPIN
#299Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 8:56:21 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...

Oh, so you think a Club Nintendo survey is an objective measure of the story's quality? I lol, sir.
#300Attack_A_HorsePosted 11/29/2012 9:00:35 AM
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...

Oh, so you think a Club Nintendo survey is an objective measure of the story's quality? I lol, sir.

i was unaware you were using it as an objective measure of the story's quality