The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

#301Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 10:05:21 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Counterpwnt posted...
Attack_A_Horse posted...
I'd also like to point out this quote:

"With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting."

Interesting is not the same thing as expected or necessary.

Also, it's my opinion that people who play Paper Mario more for their stories and less because they're Nintendo games probably aren't in Club Nintendo, but I realize that's a stretch.

Grasp for dem straws counterpwnt, KEEP GRASPIN

Oh, so you think a Club Nintendo survey is an objective measure of the story's quality? I lol, sir.

i was unaware you were using it as an objective measure of the story's quality

I wasn't. But why did you say that, then?

This: "A bunch of Club Nintendo kids don't think Super Paper Mario had a good story. I guess my fondness for Paper Mario's story, which is an entirely individual phenomenon, should be tossed aside completely" does not compute.
#302Mr_Snorlax1986Posted 12/1/2012 11:41:58 PM
This was an interesting read and an interesting debate so far. I like how you brought up as to why the original Paper Mario had a lot of charm. I'm not finished reading the topic, but I will when I have the time.
---
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: FLARE - 2062 8829 7411
PSN: killersalmon
#303KaabisteruPosted 12/2/2012 6:58:17 AM(edited)
Absolutely splendid post TC!

I remember once playing Paper Mario 64 for fun and wanting to try something new when I was young. I though fell in love with how much boundaries it broke to me as a Mario-themed game: Peach actually DOES something, not ALL Koopas and Goombas aren't BAD, there's more to it than just going place to place once which made Mt.Rugged one of the most memorable parts in the game, there's so much humour behind pretty bland-looking actor-like characters Mario-series are (Gourmet Guy, that's all. I wrote fanfictions about him.and so on. And also the story felt so big despite being so simple of "collect 7 Macguffins!

Meanwhile TTYD just took all this to a new level, making me laugh even more, cry actually for a Mario-game (spoilers) and also find the sense of humanity and charm behind it's quirky and surreal world and characters. It made Paper Mario feel like a suitable narrative on how Mario's world is like in a sense, yet how it seems to be more deeper and charming than that.

Feeling like posting this on Tumblr for everyone to see and hopefully it might turn the tide of people thinking that this game gets flak for no good reason. It's not we're complaining: it's that the longtime Paper Mario-fans were expected to buy a new Paper Mario expecting a new RPG-adventure but got something that could've just worked as a spinoff, or heck, EVEN A NEW IP.

We have a reason to say TTYD and PM64 had more ambition to them than this one.
And while we do so, we're called being having "nostalgia goggles" and not excusing this game for being "portable" and "fun." Are we supposed to never, EVER say Miyamoto's direction on some game isn't really in our favour or we don't, say, LIKE IT, despite it being fun? It's not good gameplay direction IMO if a game caters to ONLY ONE audience (in this case people who love simple fun games. What about the ones who fell in love with the story elements and the world of the game? That's what Paper Mario and it's sequel did.)

We're the audience for crying out loud, not some people who take fun like it's some kind of drug which is bad: it makes people feel good and but actually tends to be harmful in other aspects (backseating or even removing other important aspects of the game) and doesn't really profit or improve the series, in this case Mario-series. (In means of gameplay. It's neutered SMB3 and SMW mixed together nowadays).
---
The Official Starfy Of SSB4 /Komayto Of KIU Boards
3DS FC: 2793-0906-0731 / SoulSilver FC: 4084-1958-3424
#304StarSpriteZeroPosted 12/2/2012 7:37:18 AM
This is my next school essay, thank you TC!
---
"There is no I in team... (3DS FC: 2535-3686-5966)
But there's no team in win is there? Just like our football team!"
#305Attack_A_HorsePosted 12/2/2012 9:09:16 AM
StarSpriteZero posted...
This is my next school essay, thank you TC!

Don't forget to call your teacher a troll when he/she tells you you haven't proven anything but just hyper-analyzed the plot.
#306DMZappPosted 12/2/2012 10:39:47 AM
Attack_A_Horse posted...
Don't forget to call your teacher a troll when he/she tells you you haven't proven anything but just hyper-analyzed the plot.

There's a million comedians out of work in the world, and you're trying to be funny.

And it's part of the artistic/reviewer process to analyze the plot to see what works and what doesn't.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#307wiiking96Posted 12/2/2012 11:01:09 AM
Hey AAH, please explain how he can prove that the plot is story centric at any level in a way that doesn't involve analyzing the plot. He didn't hyper analyze it either, he just pointed out very basic and obvious aspects of the game and how they work as story centric elements.
---
Quote and Curly Brace for Super Smash Bros 4!
Appeasing an unlimited amount of chocolate . . .
#308KaabisteruPosted 12/2/2012 11:58:32 AM(edited)
Just ignore Attack_A_Horse wholly. Same for quietisgood.

Press "Message Details" of the user you want to ignore -> Scroll down -> Press Ignore User-button.

Simple as that.
---
#309XxIamKiraXxPosted 12/3/2012 9:24:34 AM
So should I buy sticker star? I've been wanting to buy it, but now I don't know.
#310KaabisteruPosted 12/3/2012 9:30:30 AM
XxIamKiraXx posted...
So should I buy sticker star? I've been wanting to buy it, but now I don't know.

It depends, really. It's fun on it's own right, but it has some design flaws. And it might feel less of a buy if you are a long-time PM fan and loved the core elements of the series which are absent in this game.

But it just depends on you.
---