The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  3. The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star
3 years ago#321
I'm just saying that Paper Mario games tailor more elements towards the development of their stories than towards their inset gameplay. Partners have names and affected dialogue and particular appearances/outfits. None of that is there for the gameplay. When the game is sad, the music is sad; when a fight looks to be difficult, the music ramps up. That doesn't have anything to do with gameplay either. When you go to a new area, you get a "Chapter X" message. That's a reinforcement of the story. When you finish a chapter, the NPCs in the world and the messages of the world reflect that achievement, usually focusing as much or more on how it effects the plot or a set of characters than on what you actually did.

If you're saying its taken x amount of posts for me to "prove it," perhaps it simply can't be proven. It's meant to be subtle. The games are good because they don't seem story-centric, even if they are, or gameplay-centric, or art design centric, or anything. They feel like a whole, finished product with no glaringly obtuse or acute elements. Nintendo has made a large amount of games like that.

And still, if you look at what makes up Paper Mario as a game—gameplay, art design, music, sound effects, dialogue, narrative, tutortials, puzzles, items, "key" items—I think you'll find that as much or more of those elements are based on the plot, sub-plots and overall storytelling aspect as they are on just pure button-pushing gameplay. That is what makes it story-centric.
3 years ago#322
This is interesting, and relevant to the overall quality of the Paper Mario games thus far:

http://lifehacker.com/5965703/the-science-of-storytelling-why-telling-a-story-is-the-most-powerful-way-to-activate-our-brains
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  3. The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived