The problem with Paper Mario: Sticker Star

#41PowersolisbackPosted 11/16/2012 4:01:53 PM
DoctorPiranha3 posted...
I agree with everything TC said. Sticker Star is a great game, but the first two games felt like epics, coupled with a near flawless (in my mind) turn-based battle system. That made for games that keep you on the edge of your seat, and just suck you into the worlds.

I agree with this statement. The firs two games had an overall plot for the whole game as well as a sub-plot for each chapter. It feels as though this game only has the former, bear in mind, however, I have yet to play this game so I am unsure.
---
http://tubeexposure.com/default.aspx?user=SuperAP97
#42Counterpwnt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 4:20:29 PM
Powersolisback posted...
DoctorPiranha3 posted...
I agree with everything TC said. Sticker Star is a great game, but the first two games felt like epics, coupled with a near flawless (in my mind) turn-based battle system. That made for games that keep you on the edge of your seat, and just suck you into the worlds.

I agree with this statement. The firs two games had an overall plot for the whole game as well as a sub-plot for each chapter. It feels as though this game only has the former, bear in mind, however, I have yet to play this game so I am unsure.

Exactly. Each chapter is like its own little story within the larger story.

I can't completely disagree with the previous post made about subtlety, but to me, it seems like it could be subtlety, or it could just be laziness.

The only indicator we get upon finishing a "world" in Sticker Star is a four-line limerick and some charming music. It is not bad or wrong. Just as a game, it is wholly less story-full than the first three. I don't see how anyone can argue against that.
#43WitchBaby4200Posted 11/16/2012 4:21:53 PM
TC, this was beautifully done. Thank you so much! This isn't bashing. This isn't a "well this game sucks because..." topic. This was a beautifully written piece about what is genuinely lacking in this game that I think we can all agree we miss. Thank you for putting this so eloquently.
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
#44WillbailPosted 11/16/2012 4:54:09 PM
The story is nearly nonexistent, but that's okay. What about the gameplay?

I loved the battle mechanic, it's puzzling at times but its great! ...Until I realized something.
I don't have to battle anyone. Running away even makes enemies disappear just as defeating them would. Sure, battling increases the coin count at the end of the level, but avoiding battling and not having to buy stickers AT ALL because I could make good ones on my own left me with plenty of money, which I never spent. But wait, BOSSES! Yes, can't get past them, gotta fight them!

A fan, A bat, and A sponge later and I'm in world 4. I didn't even have to try.

My last incentive to battle was the museum. You can't complete it without battling quite a bit. The reward for completing the Museum? An incomplete sound test room (come on game, world 3 boss music was fantastic, WHERE IS IT?) and a enemy sprite room, which you have to pay a coin to use... for some reason.

Sticker Star isn't a RPG, it's a puzzle game. Once you figure out the puzzle, almost zero fighting skill is required. I haven't even USED a mushroom ONCE. There are healing stations everywhere, why would I need one?

Returning the game today. I wanted a RPG, this is not one.
#45a_lil_monsterPosted 11/16/2012 5:14:37 PM
ApolloJusticeAA posted...
I am sorry that people(not you in particular) cant take off their nostalgia glasses and see that 1) this is a handheld game not a full on sequel to TTYD so to expect it to have the same level of anything while still maintaining its portability is silly. 2) Mario has never been story focused. sure the first time had more dialogue and details but in the end they were still just generic stories with the mario cast.

this game is what it is and it is an excellent paper mario game once people stop trying to give the originals so much more credit than they are really due

So because it's a handheld game my expectations should be lower? This is the 3DS, not the original Game Boy! Should my expectations of the Ocarina of Time remake have been really low and assumed it wouldn't be on the level of the original simply because it was a handheld game?
---
Now Playing: Halo 4, Skyrim, Pokemon Black 2
#46blazingsonicPosted 11/16/2012 5:23:23 PM
This game is a pop up book without a story.
Plus If I could change this game just a bit, I would have Toad partner up with Mario and learn different abilities, The battle system will still use the stickers but they would be used to enhance Mario's jump and hammer attacks, or give him a different attack altogether.
---
PSZ FC: Team-B 1892-2449-7676
PSZ FC Team-A 4125-5095-5213
#47Delirious_BeardPosted 11/16/2012 5:54:44 PM
Well said, TC.
---
This sig will not change until J.P. Howell and Carlos Pena are released or sent down from the Tampa Bay Rays.
http://i34.tinypic.com/adnlsk.jpg
#48Sephiroth C RyuPosted 11/16/2012 6:01:01 PM
The game does feel like it had some meddling in it though (currently in the middle of "world" 3).

The following may contain some spoilers up to there.

I mean, in terms of story as well as other things, there seem to be, shall we say, inequities between different parts of the game.

World 1 had a decent portion of whatnot between some of its "training" events and some of the whatnot toads and goombas were up to.

Then I go through world 2, which is mostly sand and standard levels. Not much dialog or interaction with NPCs aside from an oasis, a toad getting bullied (which I understand to be something that will happen in multiple worlds), and our favorite magikoopa to hate messing with our stickers while fighting on a statue's tongue.

Now I'm in world 3, and never mind being back up to the level from world 1. Suddenly it feels like I'm actually in an area from a Paper Mario game. Wiggler is involved, things happen, and well, the area feels more interconnected (perhaps with some help from wiggler's little fetch quest).

Its kind of weird, as games don't usually have that level of difference in the amount of events/story/side whatnot between primary areas.

On that note, there is a similar thing to do with music sometimes it seems. Then again, that may just be me occasionally coming across a piece that just is that awesome. Like the version of the standard song that plays at the port with the saxophone. That felt awesome. Maybe a bit too much so, because hearing it so early may have set my expectations a bit high for music in other parts of the game.
---
I am the Hunter of Topics. My post never fails to kill its prey.
*pounces* Nyaa!
#49SMASHKING84Posted 11/16/2012 6:01:17 PM
some video games do have a good story. having novel length ammounts of texts is not nessiary to a good story.

you ever read a novel? sometimes they spend entire pages describing the scenery you don't need that in a video game because you literally see it. they spend alot of time describing what things look like and sound like but it's unnecessary if you see/hear it yourself.

you strip down a book to nothing but dialog/monologue and action sequences and it'll be pretty damn short.

the paper mario series has always had a strong story especially when you compare it to mario platformers.

the story here is like a zelda game a few important events happen at the beginning and end of the game but the stuff you do in between has no real plot importantance.

alot of people compared this to mmbn but that series had actual effort made towards story telling.

that's why i feel more like this is what zelda would be like if turn based.
little story,emphasis on exploring and back tracking,emphasis on puzzle solving,you upgrade your stats by doing sidequests,and like every zelda game since oot half of the fan base loves it and half hates it.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY opinion.
#50Sephiroth C RyuPosted 11/16/2012 6:23:55 PM
Overall, the game is quite enjoyable and by no means bad, but far as should-have, could-have goes...

A little more NPC interaction and story would have been nice. Maybe some little sidequests here and there (fetch quests for stickers or "go defeat this palate swap of an enemy that has extra health and power", with rewards of less common stickers and/or coins). Maybe more dialog around too. It doesn't even take very much to greatly liven things up. The basic overall story doesn't need to be complex (that's clearly not why many of us like PM64 and TTYD). And really, the basic plot of this game isn't really any better or worse then usual. It just lacks much in the department of conveying whats going on.

I also would have liked a little bit more in the RPG-mechanics department. Like maybe in addition to being able to find those HP-up hearts, to have occasional attack-power-up boosters you find from time to time (so far all I seem to get is a "hidden" boost to my first-attack strength). The Paper Mario series seems like its gameplay style has generally been a simplistic easy-to-understand RPG system at its core, without the number randomizers or black-box stat mechanics a typical RPG (including Mario and Luigi games) tend to have. Yes, even SPM. Which while I didn't like its tendencies with regards to the look of some of its areas and partners (sorry, but the scribbles just killed it for me) and its tendency to be rather repetitive in certain areas, did go with mechanics that could be described as "action RPG."

But yeah. The sticker system is not that bad, but it would be nice to get more then just HP, sticker capacity, and a little better surprise attack as I go through the game, regardless of whether I got that from finding stuff/defeating a story boss or whether some of it could come from battle experience.

Also, this is a minor nitpick, but I might have preferred if the fling-a-thing didn't use up the thing, but simply cost coins instead. That and I wish I could turn off auto-save, if only for those times when the special sticker I need is not entirely obvious (i.e. I first thought I should try a fan for that sandstorm). Thankfully, you can copy a file, so I can just go into said copy and toss all my stickers to make room for all the things I have at the time, and then go experiment with them as needed. But it would still be nice to be able to just stop saving for the purpose of experimentation, then reload after doing so in order to not have to go get every item back.
---
I am the Hunter of Topics. My post never fails to kill its prey.
*pounces* Nyaa!