Okay Nintendo, what the heck...

#11Chaosmaster00Posted 11/18/2012 8:38:32 PM(edited)
It's not like we can't do that already in this game... *cough*
---
Ar Rappy of the PS0 board | Rappy Souls: 1054 | 3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#12DMZappPosted 11/18/2012 8:40:12 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
They wouldn't work with the sticker system.

(Copy-pasta idea from past topics) What about a perk-based partner system? Like, Boo gives a Boo Sheet sticker every few turns, or Clubba increases hammer attack power by 3, in exchange for them not really fighting.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#13cjimmy99(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 8:42:42 PM
So what, just use Partners as stickers in themselves?

Maybe partners are more effective at using certian stickers, or they can use unique stickers other partners can't use, or they each get their own mini album page. Those all would've been good things to add to the game.
#14SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/18/2012 8:54:56 PM
cjimmy99 posted...
So what, just use Partners as stickers in themselves?

Maybe partners are more effective at using certian stickers, or they can use unique stickers other partners can't use, or they each get their own mini album page. Those all would've been good things to add to the game.

I wouldn't have a problem with the first suggestion, or the perk based one, I guess. But should we just assume the other two would be a good idea?

If partners use their own stickers, that means you have to stock their own stickers. Which means that level design would have to be taken into consideration(the levels are already pretty nice with keeping you stocked up on stickers), and you'd probably have to spend more time buying stickers

Each partner having their own mini page would either add more pages, or replace the current page upgrade system, which, I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe at least one page was hidden.

Either way would kind of go against the design philosophy of have a consumable based battle system. I'm not saying it's impossible to pull off well, but I wouldn't assume that they didn't try and decide the results were unsatisfactory, or that added features would automatically make the game better.
---
I used to be perplexed at all the hate that D3 got until I realized that the series is the western equivalent of Final Fantasy and the fanbase hasn't caught on.
#15Chaosmaster00Posted 11/18/2012 8:59:11 PM
No pages were hidden. You started with 2, a 3rd was given to you near the beginning of 1-3, and the rest were all from bosses.
---
Ar Rappy of the PS0 board | Rappy Souls: 1054 | 3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#16SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/18/2012 9:27:15 PM(edited)
If they only function as pages or perks, would that be satisfying either way? If they were pages, how would incidental dialog work, since all partners would be active at all times? If they were just perks, could you switch them during battle? If so, there wouldn't be much strategy, unless maybe you'd have to sacrifice a turn to switch them, which would probably be too harsh. If you couldn't, it would be very difficult to determine which would be the best to use for any given battle, since it only ever shows 1 enemy one the map.

You guys are welcome to the opinion that the game would have been better with partners. Honestly, I only see problems with implementing them into the battle system. I assume IS did too(since they were planning on using them). If using a feature is just going to add problems to the game, there really isn't any reason to use the feature.

And you already have a supporting partner that has dialog in all the places that active would, so we really aren't missing out on anything in that regard either.
---
I used to be perplexed at all the hate that D3 got until I realized that the series is the western equivalent of Final Fantasy and the fanbase hasn't caught on.
#17DMZappPosted 11/18/2012 9:35:06 PM
If they only function as pages or perks, would that be satisfying either way? If they were pages, how would incidental dialog work, since all partners would be active at all times? If they were just perks, could you switch them during battle? If so, there wouldn't be much strategy, unless maybe you'd have to sacrifice a turn to switch them, which would probably be too harsh. If you couldn't, it would be very difficult to determine which would be the best to use for any given battle, since it only ever shows 1 enemy one the map.

You guys are welcome to the opinion that the game would have been better with partners. Honestly, I only see problems with implementing them into the battle system. I assume IS did too(since they were planning on using them). If using a feature is just going to add problems to the game, there really isn't any reason to use the feature.

And you already have a supporting partner that has dialog in all the places that active would, so we really aren't missing out on anything in that regard either.

...I'm gonna be honest. I didn't think that part through.

With these design issues brought up, in a theoretical Paper Mario Sticker Star sequel with perks, I'd imagine the player could switch out their partners, but their perk wouldn't activate for a turn, plus more if it was a partner who gives a sticker every few turns. In addition, perks being bonus benefits, no boss would really require an exact partner, allowing the player to play the game again differently each time.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#18YEMbotPosted 11/18/2012 10:58:08 PM
I think it could support partners/ allies in it's current form, but you'd spend a lot more time in your menus swapping stickers between books, with each ally having their own book. I am reminded somewhat of the consumable spell system used in Chrono Cross.

So basically it could be done, but you'd be looking at the menu screen a lot more often.
---
"First come smiles, then lies. Last comes gunfire." -Roland Deschain, of Gilead
#19SinfullyvannilaPosted 11/18/2012 11:03:20 PM
The problem is, Chrono Cross didn't use consumables, just a kind of Vancian Magic(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VancianMagic).

If it did have a partner system as is, the fields would be absolutely covered in stickers to make up for the needs of the partners. I honestly don't think it would be worth fiddling around with all that.
---
#20GroadergreenPosted 11/18/2012 11:20:25 PM
The problem is, Chrono Cross didn't use consumables, just a kind of Vancian Magic(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VancianMagic).

If it did have a partner system as is, the fields would be absolutely covered in stickers to make up for the needs of the partners. I honestly don't think it would be worth fiddling around with all that.

On an unrelated note, if Chrono Cross used a true Vancian Magic system it could have provided a decent challenge. A buddy of mine and I decided to try a run with that style since we felt having your spells get recharged each battle was a little cheap. We packed consumables for once and it was actually pretty fun (with the exception of keeping track of what spells we used.. that was a pain till I made some decent charts).
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board