So Miyamoto wanted to limit the story of the game?

#1MarioLinkGenofaPosted 11/27/2012 8:07:01 PM
I'm trying to get the whole of this, but Miyamoto still wants to limit games that live off a story like charm? I found it annoying in platformers, but when he goes to spin offs... damn it.
---
ROW ROW Fight Da powah
Cheap is an idiots word for effective.
#2Sol_ClydePosted 11/27/2012 8:11:50 PM
I couldn't care less about the story of a Mario game but it still bugs me how he goes through the trouble of purposely scrapping it off when he was the guy who started the whole game with stories thing...
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.
#3Hirokey123Posted 11/27/2012 8:14:27 PM
Actually he gave a simple restriction, IS was not to use IS characters and instead use only Mario characters. That right off the bat cuts out out any past partners, the Merlin line, any IS created characters like kammy Koopa, etc.... and prevents them from making new ones to fill that gap.

Basically every single Paper Mario thrives on IS's characters, all partners are characters IS made, the evil groups of the last two paper mario games were IS characters,etc....

So with already such a big restriction in place IS decided rather than make this a story and character focused game it would be a puzzle adventure oriented game focusing heavily on the other aspect that makes Paper Mario unique, the paper aspect which they ultimately haven't done much with in the past.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#4SlargTheGnomePosted 11/27/2012 8:15:02 PM
Yeah, the logic of that decision kind of escapes me as well...
---
I AM THE GREETEST! NOW I AM LEAVING EARTH FOR NO RAISIN!
#5BringerOfPiePosted 11/27/2012 8:16:53 PM
Can someone link me to where he says this? It's not that I don't believe anyone, but I keep seeing this mentioned by people and I never actually saw the original source for it.

Miyamoto's said some questionable things, though his words have also been twisted a lot of times through the years. Not to mention he's not involved in game development these days as much as people think he is.
#6DoctorPiranha3Posted 11/27/2012 8:18:12 PM
He's an old fool and not with the times... He doesn't know what gamers want. Luckily he's stepping down by the end of the year. Can't wait.
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/346l4pv.jpg
#7Hirokey123Posted 11/27/2012 8:19:13 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

Mr Kensuke Tanabe: The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the story
or characters we focused instead on paper. We tried to add as many creative uses of paper as we could to the game. The theme of the game is stickers and we also put a lot of effort into this (including paperisation). Creating a world and story using only Mario characters meant for example we had to give each Toad a distinctive character even if they looked the same. So it was quite a challenge but I feel that we succeeded in overcoming it.

---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#8BringerOfPiePosted 11/27/2012 8:27:26 PM(edited)
^ Thanks!

Mario is Miyamoto's baby and all, but the rest of Nintendo shouldn't always be yes men to him. Second opinions are for the best. He's brilliant but he's not perfect.

DoctorPiranha3 posted...
He's an old fool and not with the times... He doesn't know what gamers want. Luckily he's stepping down by the end of the year. Can't wait.

He'll still be working on Nintendo projects, though. He's relinquishing a bit of power but he'll still be a pretty strong influence in the company for many years to come.
#9Virtue777Posted 11/27/2012 8:37:44 PM(edited)
DoctorPiranha3 posted...

This could possibly be the best thing to happen to Nintendo in a long, long time. Thank God Miyamoto's losing power.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#10Sol_ClydePosted 11/27/2012 8:47:16 PM
Miyamoto is a great designer but his big problem is being so bossy toward games he's not developing.

And mark my words, many of you who think him retiring is a good thing will regret those words very soon.
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.