Considering buying this game

#1SuperturkeysPosted 11/29/2012 8:23:55 PM
I've played all three Paper Marios and liked them so naturally I'm thinking about this one. One concern I have though is over the sticker related battle system. As a packrat it might be difficult to use better stickers outside boss battles. Are there enough to go around? Do I need to grind for coins to save up for higher quality attacks? It would at least give some function to battles.
---
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
#2lanifPosted 11/29/2012 9:43:20 PM
you only use sticker in battles to my knowledge
---
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben sometimes she hits me first!!!!
#3Virtue777Posted 11/29/2012 9:46:13 PM
There are plenty of stickers to go around.

Coins are nearly useless unless you're going for 100% completion.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#4Virtue777Posted 11/29/2012 9:49:59 PM
lanif posted...
you only use sticker in battles to my knowledge

You frequently use them to solve puzzles, too.
---
#5Hirokey123Posted 11/29/2012 10:15:21 PM
Coins are used for everything, usually to mainly make the game flow better though. Since unless you want to be backtracking to re-get "things" to turn into stickers you'll be using the "thing" store that sell you any "thing" you've found and don't currently have in your possession in "thing" form or sticker form. Those can actually cost you quite a pretty penny. Beyond that unless you wish to manually keep stocked up on stickers you'll find yourself using the shops to buy lots of stickers quickly, and there are a number of good powerful stickers you normally can only obtain from the shops. Beyond that if you want to be attacking more that once per turn you'll be dropping so coinage on the Battle spinner, and the price of that will go sky high very quickly till the price reset after the battle is over. Past all this you have optional stuff like the secret doors which give you more things, powerful stickers, and even an HP upgrade. Those secret door stickers cost 80 coins a pop so you'll drop a ton of coins trying to get all the secret doors. Oh and at the same time you also have the sticker museum which will contribute to you spending coins to.

That being said as long as you're doing lots of battling you'll never be out coins. Though the battles themselves don't really give many coins rather instead it has to do with the sticker comet pieces at the end of levels. When you grab one you get a coin bonus based on how many enemies you killed. Kill only a few enemies and avoid most battles and you'll probably get around 3-15 coins, kill pretty much all the enemies and you'll be dealt between something like 200-500 coins.

As for stickers themselves you never really need to worry about running out. They give you stickers abundant to the point there rarely is a time you're going to be needing to save stickers. That's also partly where the shop fits in because you can very very easily stock up on stickers if you ever get low if you don't want to go manually hunting down stickers. I used shops quite frequently especially early game when I wanted line jumps and red koopa shells.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#6Virtue777Posted 11/29/2012 10:18:50 PM(edited)
I ran from pretty much every battle possible, and I have well over 2000 coins and I'm not even done with World 4.
---
#7RainvainzPosted 11/29/2012 10:25:58 PM
I've decided to buy the game after my classes on Friday. I'm pretty excited. A little worried from some of the posts here. This reminds me of Kirby's Epic Yarn. I saw so many conflicting posts and I had to finally buy it to find out. I was glad I did in that case. Like I said, I'm excited!

How is the humor in the game? Is it still funny? I know, funny is subjective, but still...
#8Virtue777Posted 11/29/2012 10:35:03 PM
Rainvainz posted...
I've decided to buy the game after my classes on Friday. I'm pretty excited. A little worried from some of the posts here. This reminds me of Kirby's Epic Yarn. I saw so many conflicting posts and I had to finally buy it to find out. I was glad I did in that case. Like I said, I'm excited!

How is the humor in the game? Is it still funny? I know, funny is subjective, but still...

There's not a whole lot of dialogue in this game. It has some funny parts, but for the most part you have to seek them out by talking to NPCs. Which may or may not be an issue for you.
---
#9RainvainzPosted 11/29/2012 10:48:38 PM
Virtue777 posted...
Rainvainz posted...

There's not a whole lot of dialogue in this game. It has some funny parts, but for the most part you have to seek them out by talking to NPCs. Which may or may not be an issue for you.

Not a lot of dialogue? Aw. :( Well, I love to chat with NPC characters, so no problem there.

I want this game now! I want to actually contribute to these topics. :P
#10lanifPosted 11/30/2012 9:02:24 PM
i knew that i meant the using mushroom out of battle slipped my mind to heal with
---
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben sometimes she hits me first!!!!