So why is this game bland or bad?

#1RJP_XPosted 12/2/2012 8:36:28 PM
Sounds very discouraging to me so far, getting a 3DS for Christmas, probably going to skip it then. NSMB2 looked like it did horrid too. =(
---
RJP THE MVP OF MVPS
''We've managed to avoid drowning!''-Raiden
#2SpunkySixPosted 12/2/2012 8:42:41 PM
It isn't bad. It's just bland at times because IS was told by Miyamoto not to make new characters up, so the NPCs and enemies are generic. It's still a really cool/fun game though if you can get past the changes.

Rent NSMB2 though, don't buy it. That game is an awful rehash with a tacked on coin gimmick made by Nintendo's B team, and the main story is only 3 hours long at the very most. Yuck.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Even a single drop makes ripples...
#3ReptobismolPosted 12/2/2012 9:07:34 PM
You're not missing anything by skipping NSMB2 altogether.

This game is still pretty fun to play.
---
An infant sea turtle is actually capable of killing an adult African bull elephant. It does, however, require a substantial amount of surprise.
#4quittaboi78Posted 12/2/2012 9:14:44 PM
SpunkySix posted...
It's just bland at times because IS was told by Miyamoto not to make new characters up, so the NPCs and enemies are generic.

And that's not all. Ever since this game got released, we've gleaned info over interviews that there is indeed more to the story than this, much to the chagrin of Miyamoto-apologists. This game was actually going to be along the veins of The Thousand-Year Door - y'know, what people wanted - but Miyamoto said "This is fine without a story, so why have that?" (I'm not joking, this is literally what staffers claim he said.) He cited that Club Nintendo apparently voted down Super Paper Mario's story under 1% (which I think is unfair since the story was fine but its execution didn't work in gameplay, but that's neither here nor there), and forced IS to keep things bare-bones and to crank up the gimmick to "make it unique". And that's why people don't like this - it's a classic ironic case of executive meddling / what could have been.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#5SpunkySixPosted 12/2/2012 9:19:37 PM
quittaboi78 posted...
SpunkySix posted...
It's just bland at times because IS was told by Miyamoto not to make new characters up, so the NPCs and enemies are generic.

And that's not all. Ever since this game got released, we've gleaned info over interviews that there is indeed more to the story than this, much to the chagrin of Miyamoto-apologists. This game was actually going to be along the veins of The Thousand-Year Door - y'know, what people wanted - but Miyamoto said "This is fine without a story, so why have that?" (I'm not joking, this is literally what staffers claim he said.) He cited that Club Nintendo apparently voted down Super Paper Mario's story under 1% (which I think is unfair since the story was fine but its execution didn't work in gameplay, but that's neither here nor there), and forced IS to keep things bare-bones and to crank up the gimmick to "make it unique". And that's why people don't like this - it's a classic ironic case of executive meddling / what could have been.

I agree, and that's kind of what I meant. For the most part the actual gimmick works well, it's the fact that Miyamoto killed the story/characters that bothers me. We could've had both, easily.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Even a single drop makes ripples...
#6A_MAZ_INGPosted 12/2/2012 11:24:24 PM
RJP_X posted...
Sounds very discouraging to me so far, getting a 3DS for Christmas, probably going to skip it then. NSMB2 looked like it did horrid too. =(

The games not bland or bad. It's a solid B-. I'd recommend it.
The bad is a lack of story and NO new characters outside of Kersti. Freaking Miyamoto told IS not to put any new characters or bring back old ones and just focus on Mario and gameplay.

Personally I'd recommend the following games for you to buy for the 3DS, in order of quality:
1) Kingom Hearts 3D: Must buy.
2) Super Mario 3D Land. Only problem is it's short but it's really fun.
3) Paper Mario SS: Buy this if you like Paper Mario but it's probably worst of series. Still a good game though.
#7RJP_X(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2012 11:38:18 PM
Yeah, getting a 3DS for Christmas. Great to know I can skip a few Mario games. I already got KH DDD from Black Friday, cant wait to see what TWEWY characters play out like. Its just, all of Nintendo's top franchises are 40-60$ for life. I know for definite I'll get MK7, SML3D, Kid Icarus, and RE Revelations as well.
---
RJP THE MVP OF MVPS
#8RainvainzPosted 12/2/2012 11:56:46 PM
RJP_X posted...
Yeah, getting a 3DS for Christmas. Great to know I can skip a few Mario games. I already got KH DDD from Black Friday, cant wait to see what TWEWY characters play out like. Its just, all of Nintendo's top franchises are 40-60$ for life. I know for definite I'll get MK7, SML3D, Kid Icarus, and RE Revelations as well.

Yeah, I just got the system as well and I have all of those games, except for Kid Icarus. You will have the best Christmas ever! ^_^

I do, however, own Star Fox 64 3DS and Zelda OOT 3DS, which are basically the games for the N64, but maybe you would like them.

I liked New Super Mario Bros. 2, but I have not played it since I beat it. :(

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is also on the way! :D
#9Riggs55Posted 12/3/2012 1:04:20 AM
I like this game, but it IMO is by far the worst Paper Mario game. I feel it is a safe buy though because it is pretty fun I think, and it can be a real challenge to beat.

As for NSMB2, I love that game! I can never have enough 2D Mario I guess.
---
Mario Gold Club Community Join in!
58-3900-8278-4159
#10RJP_X(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 5:51:54 AM
Thats what I'm hoping, looks real often, I have a feeling that I'll fall right in love. Last year I got a PS3, didn't fall right in love for a long time like I thought I would, took awhile, but now I get on it every chance I get. XD

I have SF64 and OOT already. I'd rather spend money on a fresh brand new experience, lets face it, 40$ a piece for two games I played through a half a dozen times isn't cool. If they had them for 20$ I'd be sold however.
---
RJP THE MVP OF MVPS