Protip: Read the game manual before complaining about lack of in-game tutorials.

#1Chaosmaster00Posted 12/4/2012 1:00:57 AM(edited)
I have seen more than enough players complaining about how they didn't know about simple things like 'not knowing about mashing A for running' or 'didn't know I had to hit A during X move to make it stronger', and much more. The game manual, be it digital (via command option on 3DS home menu by moving cursor over PM:SS's slot, both for digital AND retail have this in it), or physical (retail only) does more than enough to have been able to answer these before they'd have been asked...

The reason why Nintendo didn't put any tutorial in this game was because they didn't want to force them down the throats of players like they have in the past. They simply put it in the manual this time around and thought players would do the common sense thing and read a manual before playing it (it's like operating a machine you're not even familiar with: why do it without reading the manual first?).

Now, while I understand that SOME things are not fully explained well in either (like how Things have action commands too, although the manual does imply that ALL ATTACKS HAVE ACTION COMMANDS, so I don't see why Things should be different), they both manage to work well in tandem enough to provide answers for all the rest of these things.

So please, do yourself a favorite, and READ THE MANUAL. The Almighty Goat thanks you for reading this topic as well.
---
Ar Rappy of the PS0 board | Rappy Souls: 1054 | 3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#2Demonee-HoPosted 12/4/2012 1:18:28 AM(edited)
A fluid and well-designed tutorial can only help a game. You know how Portal was so successful at what it accomplished? The entire game was laced with tutorials, with mechanics being introduced and then expanded upon almost immediately. The process of it doing so was incredibly fluid.

Now for the fleeing or action commands, that doesn't even need a tutorial. A "Mash A!" prompt for fleeing or a quick and skip-able explanation the first time time you used it would have sufficed. Nothing in the game itself directs the player to go and read the manual to find out, and no game should really do that anyway because the explanation should already be in the game in one form or another.
#3SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 1:15:23 AM
quit trolling. you have no proof people didn't read the manual.

i read it at least twice and it NEVER once mentions the blue flowers being a mark for hidden blocks hell even how are you supposed to know that if the first few times you see one nothing is there.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY opinion.
#4Chaosmaster00(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:27:15 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
quit trolling. you have no proof people didn't read the manual.

i read it at least twice and it NEVER once mentions the blue flowers being a mark for hidden blocks hell even how are you supposed to know that if the first few times you see one nothing is there.

Please read my whole post before attempting to troll my topic:

Chaosmaster00 posted...
Now, while I understand that SOME things are not fully explained well in either

---
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#5SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 1:47:00 AM
the point is just because one person didn't read the manual that's no reason to assume that nobody does.

besides most games have both a manual and a tutorial.
why is that a good thing because sometimes seeing something SHOWN to you is far more effective then just explanation through text.

and frankly i would rather a game hold my hand then except me to figure out something i couldn't possibly know if i hadn't read a guide.

like the blue flowers or boss weaknesses[excluding the first boss]
---
#6Chaosmaster00(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 1:56:50 AM
I never assumed nobody did. I know for a fact someone DIDN'T when they say nothing tells them something when the manual says it very blatantly.

Besides that, nothing else you mentioned has any relevance. All your opinion. And I already told you, in the OP, not everything is explained well in either. So please, stop trying to argue yourself nowhere in a topic that doesn't need your input. You have a habit of making yourself a nuisance in a topic that it was not necessary for you to post in at all.

So please, leave, unless you have something to add to the topic, rather than criticise me for telling others to do something they should want to know.
---
#7SMASHKING84Posted 12/4/2012 2:11:24 AM
I'm sorry but your treating people who don't read the manual as though they are stupid for doing so that's not acceptable.

like you read EVERY manual you own. the fact is nobody should have to read a damn manual if they don't want to.

especially when the only part you would need help with is running and the battle spinner and the latter is explained by kertsi nobody the rest of the info is obvious to anyone who's ever played pm before,nobody wants to flip through an entire manual to find ONE thing. they look at it if they cannot figure ANYTHING about the controls by themselves.

and frankly if you need a manual to tell you how to jump you shouldn't even play this game.

because i learned how to do that when i was 6 with no help...
---
#8Someguy_13Posted 12/4/2012 2:44:14 AM
Wait. People are complaining about lack of in game tutorials?

Who are these people and why do they want to ruin gaming?
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#9SpunkySixPosted 12/4/2012 4:45:43 AM
The button commands are so easy that they're explained in two pages and that is the entire manual. Anything else does get a tutorial or is supposed to be discovered. We don't need a fourth wall breaking tutorial in every Mario RPG. Read the manual, and if you still don't get it then PM somebody or something. We don't need more topics asking about why the hammer only does 1 damage.
---
Tissues to the extreme!
Even a single drop makes ripples...
#10wiiking96Posted 12/4/2012 6:29:37 AM
lol, no one reads the manual these days.
---
Quote and Curly Brace for Super Smash Bros 4!
Appeasing an unlimited amount of chocolate . . .