lol at Mario "fans" who are resistant to the series doing new things.

#1TheLetterGuyPosted 12/7/2012 5:11:31 PM
I mean, that's why you liked the first Paper Mario game? Right?

....oh.
#2wiiking96Posted 12/7/2012 5:18:36 PM
The first Paper Mario was created as a spin-off series, not as a direct continuation of another series. This games does far less new than the first PM, and it dumbs down a lot of old aspects.

And just for good measure:
The Mario fan base is not some giant hivemind; the different subsets want different things from different series with different genres with different histories in different situations. Why don't people get that?
---
Quote and Curly Brace for Super Smash Bros 4!
Appeasing an unlimited amount of chocolate . . .
#3TheLetterGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:22:45 PM(edited)
My point was that how are we "resistant" to change if we liked Paper Mario, which was a game that changed a lot from SMRPG and added much to the entire Mario series as a whole.
#4DMZappPosted 12/7/2012 5:22:50 PM
Well, Mario fans want a balance between old and new, not going to extremes in old or new like three of the four Mario games released this year did (Mario Party 9 and Sticker Star for extreme new, NSMB2 for extreme old).
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#5LeftyGreenMarioPosted 12/7/2012 5:29:43 PM
DMZapp posted...
Well, Mario fans want a balance between old and new, not going to extremes in old or new like three of the four Mario games released this year did (Mario Party 9 and Sticker Star for extreme new, NSMB2 for extreme old).

This. I've been trying to argue this forever.
---
Every time I post, Wario gets killed. Also, Mario > Luigi.
BabyLuigiOnFire is my sister.
#6bcorneliaPosted 12/7/2012 5:30:25 PM
The changes and omissions led to a more shallow game.
---
My old account got better.
#7wiiking96Posted 12/7/2012 5:36:24 PM
TheLetterGuy posted...
My point was that how are we "resistant" to change if we liked Paper Mario,

Paper Mario was an entirely new sub series at the time made by a different developer than SMRPG, expecting a true sequel to that game would just be wishful thinking. People in general are resistant to negative change, not just change in general. I'm freaking tired of people being so close minded in this issue.

which was a game that changed a lot from SMRPG

Because it wasn't a sequel to PM, at best a spiritual sequel. IS wanted to do it's own thing instead of copying another developer.

and added much to the entire Mario series as a whole.

And way way more than this game ever could have hoped to do.
---
#8TheLetterGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:40:16 PM

Other than kersti and stickers (lol) I'm not quite sure what this game added to the series.
#9wiiking96Posted 12/7/2012 5:48:31 PM
TheLetterGuy posted...

Other than kersti and stickers (lol) I'm not quite sure what this game added to the series.

Exactly. IS actually tried very little new in terms of content, instead opting to rehash environments and revamp an excellent battle system that no one wanted to see gone.
---
#10Toad_and_Pit_coPosted 12/7/2012 6:40:32 PM
TheLetterGuy posted...

PERKY TOAD AND THE ENIGIMANSION TOADS!!!
---
I'm MnK N!ck!
What would I do? I'd press Z or R to GANGNAM STYLE! 3DSXL FC: 2191 8396 776..... Goombas lurk in your toaster.....Bow before the almighty cheese.