My two cents about this game

#1farmcoPosted 12/26/2012 5:52:16 PM
You guys probably don't care, but here goes nothing.

This is by far the worst Paper Mario game I ever played. I'm not saying it's bad, but there are many gripes in this game that keep me from enjoying it.

Stickers - Personally, I don't like the idea of being required to use consumable items in battle. I mean, you need to use a sticker to jump? Lame! Also, with the lack of experience points in play, it ultimately discourages me from fighting enemies at all, since I would be "wasting" my stickers if I did. At least the enemy goes away if you decide to run.

Story - Weak, at least from what I played so far. First of all, I don't like how pretty much all the good characters in this game are plain toads. It destroys the memorability of the game. Also, I understand that every Paper Mario game had the idea of collecting objects, but this game doesn't have as strong of an incentive to collect them. For TTYD, the incentive was to open the thousand year door, and for SPM, it was to clear the void you keep seeing in the game, Sticker Star's is to save a sticker comet. How lame!

Partners - I miss them! Although there's Kersti, you rarely see her, and she's not as fun/useful as Goombella and Tippi, who can give descriptions of everything you see. Also, taking away partners destroy the strategy of what partner to use in battle.

Open World - As many people have already stated, I also don't like how solutions to certain puzzles involve going to different worlds to solve them. Although it's cool how can you explore a lot in the beginning, it adds to the frustration of the game. There's way more backtracking than ever before.

And there you have it. If you even bothered to read through this, feel free to post why you agree or disagree with my statements.
---
Disclaimer: I hate farming.
#2GonTo30Posted 12/26/2012 6:05:44 PM
farmco posted...
You guys probably don't care, but here goes nothing.

This is by far the worst Paper Mario game I ever played. I'm not saying it's bad, but there are many gripes in this game that keep me from enjoying it.

Stickers - Personally, I don't like the idea of being required to use consumable items in battle. I mean, you need to use a sticker to jump? Lame! Also, with the lack of experience points in play, it ultimately discourages me from fighting enemies at all, since I would be "wasting" my stickers if I did. At least the enemy goes away if you decide to run. I don't really mind at all. Sure it is different, but it doesn't really draw away from the experience. Now I do agree on the lack of XP being and issue as that was my favorite part of the first two games.

Story - Weak, at least from what I played so far. First of all, I don't like how pretty much all the good characters in this game are plain toads. It destroys the memorability of the game. Also, I understand that every Paper Mario game had the idea of collecting objects, but this game doesn't have as strong of an incentive to collect them. For TTYD, the incentive was to open the thousand year door, and for SPM, it was to clear the void you keep seeing in the game, Sticker Star's is to save a sticker comet. How lame! Agree for the most part

Partners - I miss them! Although there's Kersti, you rarely see her, and she's not as fun/useful as Goombella and Tippi, who can give descriptions of everything you see. Also, taking away partners destroy the strategy of what partner to use in battle. I also miss partners, but it's not super annoying without them. Though, it would of driven the story along better with them.

Open World - As many people have already stated, I also don't like how solutions to certain puzzles involve going to different worlds to solve them. Although it's cool how can you explore a lot in the beginning, it adds to the frustration of the game. There's way more backtracking than ever before. If it had a world hub that was larger and more engaging then it would be great.

And there you have it. If you even bothered to read through this, feel free to post why you agree or disagree with my statements.

---
"Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."
#3SpunkySixPosted 12/26/2012 11:29:01 PM
I'm not gonna go crazy with specifics, but I more or less agree.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Come on, really?
#4YosherPosted 12/27/2012 11:09:10 PM
I have to agree with all of this. I loved all of the previous Paper Mario games and this game, to me, seems like a slap to the face for Paper Mario fans if you ask me. The sticker mechanic is just horrid, the story not Paper Mario-worthy, partners are amiss, and honestly I don't like the way the world map is handled in this game. It would be fine if it were a Mario platformer but it's not. It's a Paper Mario game and you should be able to go everywhere from a central hub place.

I think I'll simply re-play The Thousand-Year Door to forget about this sticker-infested game. Yes, I AM saying this game is bad. It's bad. Bad Bad Bad. With a capital B. I simply can't enjoy it. Something I had no problem with in the previous games.
---
Yoshiii!
#5Czar_YoshiPosted 12/28/2012 2:40:11 AM
In that case, you're in the majority here.

Something that you may or may not want to know is the 0 original characters, lack of story, and un-RPGishness of the game was all ordered by Miyamoto shortly after e3 2010, when he found out that the devs were trying to make a proper TTYD sequel. This was confirmed in the SS Iwata Asks.
#6Chaosmaster00Posted 12/28/2012 6:58:18 AM
Inb4fanboysjustlookingforsomeonetoblamebull****...
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#7ZappPosted 12/29/2012 4:49:55 AM
Having every single possible attack you can do be a consumable item that you pick up off the ground as you go along is a wonderful idea. Forcing the player to limit and ration their attacks, along with the Mario Staple of having attack effects vary based on player skill would make for a very good Rougelike/Mystery Dungeon-like game.

I also think it works fine without an EXP system, since the idea of fighting enemies is to get coins as a backup supply in to prevent running out of stickers, and to occasionally get better, rarer stickers than the ones you find lying around. An EXP system might encourage players to deal with the battles, but adding attack and defense stats would dampen the effect of collecting rarer versions of stickers.

Not willing to defend the other points. There's a lot of potential for gameplay but the implementation is lacking.
---
Dragie! *Huggles*
Futari wa nido to mou meguri aenai no ... The Two of us shall never cross paths again
#8Lunar_NallPosted 12/29/2012 8:31:57 AM
I didn't like how spells had to be drawn from enemies and collected in final fantasy 8, so I figured I wouldn't like the battle system in this game.
#9Wario_manPosted 12/29/2012 9:26:18 AM
The people saying "it isn't so bad" and "Give it a try anyway" are giving the people that did this money and showing that this is the future we want for the series. We don't have to make hate topics, we don't have to protest, we don't have to boycott whole companies, just don't buy the game and rationally tell others not to buy it. It is the best way to prevent stuff like this from happening again.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#10SpunkySixPosted 12/29/2012 1:59:24 PM
Wario_man posted...
The people saying "it isn't so bad" and "Give it a try anyway" are giving the people that did this money and showing that this is the future we want for the series. We don't have to make hate topics, we don't have to protest, we don't have to boycott whole companies, just don't buy the game and rationally tell others not to buy it. It is the best way to prevent stuff like this from happening again.

The problem is... I like this game. But it isn't great and it's most likely due to one guy. Do I not buy the game knowing darn well that nobody will care and I'm simply missing out? I don't think it was bad enough or their fault enough to punish IS for this. NSMB2? Terrible sequel, average game, doesn't get my money. This? I have to say that I found it to be worth $40. But it isn't the best possible product that we could have had and that troubles me.

Lately, and this is coming from somebody who stuck by Nintendo without screaming "lol CASHOOAL" when the Wii came out, Nintendo has been disappointing me. I used to point at them and proudly single them out as a company that did new things for quality. Lately it seems like all they can do is the bare minimum to ensure sales and profits. The 3DS barely has a library, and almost all of it is remakes or sub par sequels. 3D Land and KI:U are the only two that I can truly say are great.

The Wii U only needs one game to be bought per player to be profitable, and from the looks of things at launch, that really is all they're concerned about. Selling one less than their best game to some chump with kids.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Don't be racist to elephants, now.