Sticker Star or Super Paper Mario?

#31Mirror_AuraPosted 1/11/2013 9:36:54 AM
I feel guilty for clicking SPM... it's like the lesser of two really demonic evils. :(
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.
#32SpunkySixPosted 1/11/2013 2:19:22 PM
Mirror_Aura posted...
I feel guilty for clicking SPM... it's like the lesser of two really demonic evils. :(

SPM was really good, it was just too slow paced sometimes and it over did the flipping thing.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Okay, real talk?
#33farmco(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 10:16:57 PM
I'm pretty surprised at the results. Thought you guys liked Sticker Star better because it brought back turned-based battles.

Personally, I like Super Paper Mario better, but that may have been because it was my first PM game.
---
Disclaimer: I hate farming.
#34StephenYap3Posted 1/19/2013 11:42:20 AM
farmco posted...
I'm pretty surprised at the results. Thought you guys liked Sticker Star better because it brought back turned-based battles.

Well, yeah, but for some people. Most of the others complained mainly about the lack of partners and Star Points earned after battle, but I'm not one of them.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(
#35Czar_YoshiPosted 1/19/2013 3:51:15 PM
farmco posted...

Having the battles be turn based isn't in and of itself a good thing. Because all the battles are broken wide open by hurlhammers and fire flowers, and there's no growth or customization whatsoever, turns don't count for much.

Similarly, no turns isn't necessarily a bad thing. While it did do away with FP, BP and customization, I found the Pit of 100 Trials in SPM to be much funner than the TTYD one. I like having some larger challenge to tackle at the end of TTYD, but once I've beaten them both SPM offered way more replay value, and the SPM pit just wouldn't have worked with TTYD.

Tl;dr I think the loss of turns was decried because it was synonymous with the loss of BP, FP, Star Powers and Partners, but not turns themselves. Thus when turns came back without all the good stuff, they didn't really make much of a difference.
#36BringerOfPiePosted 1/20/2013 5:32:56 PM
Man, I can't get over how hilarious this board's attitude has flipped since Sticker Star's release. All that SPM bashing before its release and how Sticker Star was going to revive the glory of the first two games...and now SPM is seemingly hailed as a saint in comparison.

I'd also give it to SPM by a billion miles. For all that game's flaws, it was still enjoyable from start to finish with only 2 or 3 stages that really pissed me off, as opposed to PMSS being a frustrating exercise in tedium from start to finish with only 2 or 3 stages that brought a smile to my face.
#37PT_PiranhaPosted 1/20/2013 5:41:34 PM
I still can't decide. I like both games, but for different reasons.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#38SpoinkRulezzPosted 1/21/2013 6:27:43 AM
Super Paper Mario, which I never considered to be less than very good in the first place. Fun game overall, great soundtrack, a unique concept (not executed perfectly, but most of the time I definitely thought it was a fun concept), great story and writing.
#39DragonSamuraiPosted 1/21/2013 2:51:27 PM(edited)
BringerOfPie posted...
Man, I can't get over how hilarious this board's attitude has flipped since Sticker Star's release. All that SPM bashing before its release and how Sticker Star was going to revive the glory of the first two games...and now SPM is seemingly hailed as a saint in comparison.

It's like you read my mind. That's essentially what I was going to say.

"SPM was a real Paper Mario! This doesn't deserve the title!"

Lol, Mario fandom. Just lol.
---
"You're turning into a real human being. You're beginning to confuse generosity with stupidity." Odd to Aelita (Code Lyoko)
#40Mirror_AuraPosted 1/21/2013 5:18:00 PM
From: DragonSamurai | Posted: 1/21/2013 5:51:27 PM | #039
BringerOfPie posted...

It's like you read my mind. That's essentially what I was going to say.
"SPM was a real Paper Mario! This doesn't deserve the title!"
Lol, Mario fandom. Just lol.

Why are you laughing and mocking the "Mario fandom" as if they're wrong? Everyone was genuinely hoping that this was going to be an amazing game. It's pretty much unanimous that it is not an amazing game, or even a decent game. Therefore, Super Paper Mario, also a poor game by the PM/TTYD standards, is still better.

It isn't some weird coincidence or even an interesting point that Super Paper Mario holds 75% of the votes in the above poll. It has nothing to do with "lol Mario fandom". If Sticker Star had been a good game like people wanted it to be, this discussion wouldn't happen. Of course SPM is going to be a "saint in comparison", this game doesn't even stack up to most NES jRPGs, let alone Paper Mario 1 and 2.

I can't really think of any way that Paper Mario : Sticker Star is objectively better than Super Paper Mario, and that's saying a lot considering both games are pretty bad. Please take your obnoxious "JUST LOL" comments elsewhere, this isn't funny and neither are you.
---
The most powerful army, in, HISTORY.
YAAAAAAYYYYY.