Kamek (ALSO spoilers)

#21SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 3:11:11 PM
quittaboi78 posted...
1) Kamek calls it his melodramatic "vanishing act" (though it could be translation censorship).

2) Kamek is not only in the parade (and many villains like the X-Nauts have been through worse), but he's also right there in the next Mario game, New Super Mario Bros. U.

3) Luigi is also one of the audience members in TTYD, and he has a chance of getting his soul sucked. I guess that means that he's a ghost in subsequent appearances?

In the end, it's not only a Mario game, but one in a colorful paper world at that. The only permanent deaths in the Mario series is the rare one-shot / self-contained big RPG villain, and very occasionally side-series like Wrinkly Kong in Donkey Kong 64.

Holy crap, nobody said it was permanent. Given the general tone of the game though, it was mood whiplash and totally out of place the way he died. He died. People come back to life in Mario World all the time, but Kamek clearly died.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Who's that kid next store, posting on GF with his iPod?
#22quittaboi78Posted 1/22/2013 3:54:16 PM
Yup. So did Luigi.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#23Chaosmaster00Posted 1/22/2013 4:01:09 PM
Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser all died in SPM. </topic>
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#24SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 4:53:58 PM
quittaboi78 posted...
Yup. So did Luigi.

Cool. Gameplay and story segregation. Also, Luigi didn't go insane with hate and rage before he died.

On top of this, TTYD was generally darker and so was SPM. This was so lighthearted that Kamek's death feels out of place. Don't be so annoyingly stubborn that you aren't even trying to see the difference.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
#25quittaboi78Posted 1/22/2013 7:07:39 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Cool. Gameplay and story segregation.

Cool. A player-created concept.

In all seriousness, if he calls it a vanishing act, it's a goddamn vanishing act. He died just as much as much as TEC did.
---
#26Chaosmaster00Posted 1/22/2013 7:08:41 PM
The difference is that TEC was alive during postgame; you can even go and talk to him. Kamek... not so much.
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#27quittaboi78Posted 1/22/2013 9:07:00 PM
Because there is no post-game opportunity.
---
#28SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 10:48:33 PM
quittaboi78 posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Cool. Gameplay and story segregation.

Cool. A player-created concept.

In all seriousness, if he calls it a vanishing act, it's a goddamn vanishing act. He died just as much as much as TEC did.

Gameplay and story segregation is very much an actual thing, it's why characters can do things in cutscenes that they can't in normal gameplay. Nothing about that is player created. Luigi didn't die in a TTYD cutscene.

Yeah. And like I said, that fit the tone of TTYD much better. It wasn't mood whiplash, and it was more heroic than mean spirited and unecessary. TEC didn't go insane with hate. And he didn't imply that his superiors would tear Mario to pieces.

And he doesn't call it a vanishing act. He says that he is so sure that Bowser will basically rip Mario to pieces that he doesn't fear his "time of vanishing". As in, a euphemism for death because they didn't want to say "die" for whatever reason. If he was just doing a magic trick, he wouldn't have a reason to fear it in the first place, and if he could just poof away and heal, he'd have no reason to stop fighting Mario. He turned in to ashes and died.

So light hearted and fitting, right?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
#29CopShow GuyPosted 1/29/2013 11:27:13 AM
I'm also pretty sure that all the things in the parade besides the toads were just props. Wasn't that Kamek hanging by a piece of string in the parade?
---
GET AGAINST THE TREE!!!
~ The Sage of Shadow ~
#30SpunkySix(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 5:43:10 PM
CopShow Guy posted...
I'm also pretty sure that all the things in the parade besides the toads were just props. Wasn't that Kamek hanging by a piece of string in the parade?

Not sure. Based on the fact that it's Nintendo though, I AM willing to say that Kamek was brought back to life somehow, I mean, Bowser has clearly died... how many times now? It was more about HOW Kamek died that got to me.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Oh, the food? Tasted like blood...