I liked this game (massive spoilers)

#11PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 10:04:47 PM
Well that's your opinion.

I must ask though, why are you here? I know other people stay to give advice for people playing, but what about you? I've only ever seen you spitting on this game (and half the time, it's redundant), never really lending any advice.
---
OH. BANANA.
<Last remaining Mario fan>
#12JHH62Posted 1/14/2013 10:34:23 PM
PT_Piranha posted...
Well that's your opinion.

I must ask though, why are you here? I know other people stay to give advice for people playing, but what about you? I've only ever seen you spitting on this game (and half the time, it's redundant), never really lending any advice.

You act like I'm the only one who bashes this game and my previous topic, I didn't know other people had already posted it before
#13Czar_YoshiPosted 1/14/2013 10:53:18 PM
PT_Piranha posted...
Bowser Jr. seemed severely under-utilized. I mean, he had his place in the story I guess, but he didn't really need to. Kamek was the one doing all the antagonistic stuff, Jr. just showed up to try to beat you up.
-Introduce Kamek in 1-1 and maybe skip his fight in 1-3.
-Remove the second Jr. fight entirely.
-Put a random, yet higher-end minion in charge of the flotilla.
And bam, the story (work with me, here) would be exactly the same despite the fact that Jr. would be gone.

Bowser Jr.'s place in the story was just to be an inconsistent mouthpiece for Bowser. During the first two fights (the second of which was out of the blue, unnecessary and should have been removed) he rants about how he needs to grab stickers for his dad's sticker collection, which is never heard of again.

Unfortunately, due to the SMB only policy, removing command of the airships from Jr has a 90% chance of it being given to Boom-boom.

Granted, Bowser's been able to retain that while talking in the past, but I interpreted it that the Royal Sticker corrupted him so badly and so thoroughly, that he couldn't even form words. The other bosses had lesser stickers, and even they could only barely speak. Except Goomba, but maybe it's since he's... a Goomba.

If there had been any sort of plotwork to back this up, it would have worked. I would still miss funny Bowser, but it would work.

I just really don't think there's a lot he could have said in 6-3 that would have been really meaningful. "ROOAR, SHINY SHINE SHINE! MARIO IT'S TIME TO MEET YOUR END!" Or something like that. He has no excuse for being mute in the final scene though, I'll concede that.

It's not lack of story in 6-3 that bugs me though. By then I'm resigned to the fact that there won't be any. What bugs me is that there's no final dungeon, which have all been very good in the past 3 PM games (and SMRPG).

I was way overstocked, in terms of healing items. Up until the fireball segment, the big 1-Up had me covered pretty well. And then in the final stages, the shiny version made 0 hp only a fantasy. In the final stage, it was kind of gruesome to see Bowser's arms fall off.

Probably because guarding cuts damage in half instead of reducing it by one, but is just as easy as a regular guard in TTYD. Speaking of gruesome, you did kill Kamek, right?

Seeing everyone at the revived Sticker Fest was neat,

The progression on the revival was well done, yeah. If this game had been an RPG, I would have expected it to be the main sidequest hub, finding building materials and recruiting workers and such, but it was not to be...

The music did change once (once the Toads came up with the idea of a revival) but I think it would have been better if it had changed for every world every world you beat (sort of like Clock Town in MM changing with the progression of time).

I know "NSMB" is kind of spoken with a negative connotation around here, but I did like at least seeing enemies from those games or enemy depictions from those games, all done in paper form, and would not object to seeing those in future Paper Mario games.

The presence of Broozers in the game is not the problem, though, it's the lack of Clubbas and other PM exclusive enemies. I'd love to see them and Sombrero guys again, but not at the cost of Piders and Clefts.