I stumbled upon this, and I couldn't help but smile.

#1Indigo209Posted 1/16/2013 6:01:46 PM
http://snes15.1up.com/previews/paper-mario-ttyd?pager.offset=0

It's an interview dating all the way back to 2004 with the North American localization team of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. They pretty much just talk about how fun and challenging it was to create a script that was distinctly entertaining to read while creating personalities for every character in the game, even minor ones.

Notable Quotes:

-"With Bobbery we looked at him and it's like, 'This guy looks like Master & Commander, a huffy little British sea captain.' So we went in that direction with him."

-"For a while we were going to do [the Bob-omb pirates] as Jamaicans."

-"Rawk Hawk was probably the most fun to write. I had a kind of Randy "Macho Man" Savage thing in mind [when writing for him], and his lines are utterly ridiculous."

It's a pretty fun read; y'all should check it out.
#2Czar_YoshiPosted 1/16/2013 8:30:26 PM
That was pretty interesting.

However, there were a lot of inconsistencies that bugged me- at times, it felt like they were talking about an early beta version of the game, namely when talking about badges. Different names, different effects, different locations, everything (I mean, close call doubles your attack when under 5HP?). They can't just be bad at the game, they've played it 8-9 times and have to have an enormous attention to detail to do their job.
#3AwasaiPosted 1/16/2013 9:43:23 PM
thanks for posting this, really. I've been seeing Nate, Bill, and Leslie's names in the credits of basically every Nintendo game ever, for years, and I knew they did localization, but I had no idea that that meant that they're actually the translators. I'm trying to figure out to do with my life right now, and my most marketable skill is essential fluency in Japanese and English. I wonder if any of those three are getting ready to retire...
---
What is a Mega Man?
A miserable little pile of mega secrets!-JCvgluvr
#4SlargTheGnomePosted 1/17/2013 6:51:21 PM
I would have loved Flurrie as a Southern belle.
---
I AM THE GREETEST! NOW I AM LEAVING EARTH FOR NO RAISIN!
#5BardWannabePosted 1/18/2013 11:58:30 AM
That was really good to read. It's fun to hear about people who have just the right skills for their job and put in lots of effort because they love. It comes through in the interview and in the game.

And I never knew that Yoshi's color wasn't random! Man, it makes me want to replay the game (Black Yoshi!!!)