How I think bosses should work in the next Paper Mario game

#1wiiking96Posted 1/21/2013 8:26:00 AM
Each boss will have at least two phases.

One phase will be like a fairly standard boss battle. Each boss will have at least 4 different attacks to keep you on your toes, and have some twist to make them unique, like Macho Grubba's stat increases. You can attack them at your leisure.

The other phase will be more puzzle oriented, like Lantern Guy in PM64. Some bosses might require a specific item to defeat, but that item will be made available to you in the battle, unlike the bosses in Sticker Star. For example: You are fighting a robot boss of some sort. It can summon Zap Bubbles(electric versions of Lava Bubbles) that when defeated drop a Volt Shroom. You must use the Volt Shroom to make yourself zappy so that when the robot uses a grab attack, it gets zapped and stunned, revealing a spot where you can damage it.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2shadowreaper7Posted 1/21/2013 9:20:30 AM
I don't mean to be that guy.
But this should have happened in sticker star.

And i completely agree with how you think the bosses should work. Equal measure puzzle and action.

Not conversely 99% puzzle 1% action *until the puzzle is solved*
before swapping to 99% action 1% puzzle
Because the bosses are ludicrously easy once the right sticker is applied. They pose no threat at all.

So yeah. I agree with your statement.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#3MarioMan847Posted 1/21/2013 9:42:04 AM
Do you wanna work for Nintendo or something?
---
Video games are awesome.
#4wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 9:47:04 AM
MarioMan847 posted...
Do you wanna work for Nintendo or something?

I would just like them to use my ideas.
---
#5BringerOfPiePosted 1/21/2013 9:58:57 AM
Can Miyamoto be the final boss?
#6KAMMYqueenPosted 1/21/2013 10:06:38 AM
wiiking96 posted...
Each boss will have at least two phases.

One phase will be like a fairly standard boss battle. Each boss will have at least 4 different attacks to keep you on your toes, and have some twist to make them unique, like Macho Grubba's stat increases. You can attack them at your leisure.

The other phase will be more puzzle oriented, like Lantern Guy in PM64. Some bosses might require a specific item to defeat, but that item will be made available to you in the battle, unlike the bosses in Sticker Star. For example: You are fighting a robot boss of some sort. It can summon Zap Bubbles(electric versions of Lava Bubbles) that when defeated drop a Volt Shroom. You must use the Volt Shroom to make yourself zappy so that when the robot uses a grab attack, it gets zapped and stunned, revealing a spot where you can damage it.

Souned boreing and useless for every boss to have it. one or 2 it good
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#7Czar_YoshiPosted 1/21/2013 12:52:30 PM
Only problem is, if the boss chucks a ton of volt shrooms at you, it would be sort of obvious as to what to do (like Bowser Jr.).

Still miles ahead of what SS has to offer, though. It just seems more like a unique aspect of one boss (like Brobot's candy bars) than a game mechanic.
#8wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 1:02:44 PM
Well, it's just a really basic example. It wouldn't have to work that way necessarily. A partner could be required instead, or something else. IDK.
---
#9SpunkySixPosted 1/21/2013 9:45:28 PM
This game should have worked like that.

A new PM game though? Good idea, wouldn't want EVERY boss to have it, only a few. It would become predictable otherwise.

And seriously why is it that this board clearly understands game design better than IS did for this? That usually sounds nooby, but in this case it's just straight up true. We honestly could have corrected all of their biggest mistakes had we been consulted before release.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Back on board.
#10wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 10:42:40 AM
SpunkySix posted...
A new PM game though? Good idea, wouldn't want EVERY boss to have it, only a few. It would become predictable otherwise..

The puzzles would be very varied. I mean, I don't think people would say that fighting Huff. N. Puff makes it easy to see how to beat Smorg. Just have a different type of puzzle for each boss.
---