Nobody on this board should review a video game. Ever.

#11wiiking96Posted 1/23/2013 7:23:04 PM
super_luigi16 posted...
Yeah... way too many people on this board search for subjective flaws rather than looking at the objective successes of this game. Granted, there's going to be a wide variability in review scores regardless, but there's a point where you cross from making objective criticisms (e.g., little story, boss problems, etc.) to subjective hatred (battles are repetitive, coins aren't an incentive, etc.).

Why aren't those things objective flaws? Sure, not everyone minds them, but they are things that could be better to make the game more enjoyable for everyone.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#12Mariofan15Posted 1/23/2013 8:14:04 PM
Yeah... way too many people on this board search for subjective flaws rather than looking at the objective successes of this game. Granted, there's going to be a wide variability in review scores regardless, but there's a point where you cross from making objective criticisms (e.g., little story, boss problems, etc.) to subjective hatred (battles are repetitive, coins aren't an incentive, etc.).

None of these flaws are subjective. Quit being such a fanboy. They're legitimate things that are wrong with the game.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#13super_luigi16Posted 1/23/2013 8:18:32 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

None of these flaws are subjective. Quit being such a fanboy. They're legitimate things that are wrong with the game.

What wonderful evidence/arguments you have to back up your assertion. You're entire post hinges on me being a fanboy--I'm not. I gave the game a freaking 7/10, if you'd bother to get out of your self-flattering over there and look around before speaking. Please prove to me objectively that battles are repetitive with appropriate scientific evidence to support such assertions. Please prove to me objectively that coins aren't an incentive when they clearly are used to buy stickers and things. Oh wait, you can't.
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project
: Revisions to KH3D FAQ | Upcoming Project: Luigi's Mansion FAQ
#14Mariofan15Posted 1/23/2013 8:21:45 PM
Mariofan15 posted...

What wonderful evidence/arguments you have to back up your assertion. You're entire post hinges on me being a fanboy--I'm not. I gave the game a freaking 7/10, if you'd bother to get out of your self-flattering over there and look around before speaking. Please prove to me objectively that battles are repetitive with appropriate scientific evidence to support such assertions. Please prove to me objectively that coins aren't an incentive when they clearly are used to buy stickers and things. Oh wait, you can't.

It's been proven allready. Not my fault you refuse to accept the fact the flaws people complain about are legit.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#15Bass50Posted 1/23/2013 8:25:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16super_luigi16Posted 1/23/2013 8:39:56 PM
Mariofan15 posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

It's been proven allready. Not my fault you refuse to accept the fact the flaws people complain about are legit.

Link?
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project
: Revisions to KH3D FAQ | Upcoming Project: Luigi's Mansion FAQ
#17Czar_YoshiPosted 1/23/2013 8:53:51 PM
super_luigi16 posted...
Please prove to me objectively that coins aren't an incentive when they clearly are used to buy stickers and things. Oh wait, you can't.

Yes, I can.

Normal Stickers can be found commonly in the overworld, costing very little time to get, can be obtained rarely from enemies, which cost a medium amount of time to battle, and can be bought for coins at shops, costing a medium amount of time to get when a shop is nearby and a large amount of time when one is not in the level you're in.

All of this is objective and fact.

Normal Stickers can be used to fight random enemies, bosses/forced encounters, and solve some (rare) puzzles. They can also be sold for coins or placed in the museum (but only one of each). However, they don't do very much to bosses.

All of this is also objective and fact.

Now, coins can be found commonly (but in small quantities) in the overworld, are dropped by defeated enemies (in wildly varying quantities), are given out as perfect bonuses (in wildly varying quantities) and are awarded upon completion of a stage (based on how many enemies you killed, with upper end bonuses exceeding 300 coins).

All of this is objective. I don't have exact numbers, but approximations should be good enough.

Coins can be used for the battle spinner (which can only be used during bosses/forced encounters and random enemy battles) which is very cheap. They can be used to buy Normal Stickers (which are very cheap), and to buy replacement Things (which are moderately expensive). They can also be poured into the enemy gallery, which you should reset after using to keep your coins. They can also be used to save Toad if you want to save him but don't feel like fighting.

All of this is objective and fact.

Finally, Things can be found in the overworld at set locations, and bought in Decalburg. Things cannot be found more than once without backtracking, however there are no things you need more than once, including boss things. (and you will still have plenty left over for battling). Things can be used for random battles and forced encounters, are almost required for bosses, and are required for puzzles.

All of this is also objective and fact.

Now that I've established all that (if you believe any of the above is wrong enough to invalidate my argument, feel free to point it out), think about this: if battling enemies takes stickers and gives coins and (fewer) stickers, but you already get loads of stickers in the overworld and coins don't buy anything you need if you don't battle (except secret doors, but you only need one of those), what do you get from battling?

The answer cannot have anything to do with fun. Fun is subjective and does not apply to everyone.

Before you point out that TTYD's battles only give rewards that help in battles, I will point out that you cannot get them anywhere else (coins can be found and items can be bought, but Star Points are what matter) and you still need them for bosses/forced encounters.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#18SpunkySixPosted 1/23/2013 10:15:28 PM
I thought I already wrote what was basically an essay on why coins aren't enough of an incentive to battle on this game. Tl;dr or something?

And the lack of enemy variety, (proven in a topic by Wiiking) along with the lack of strategy, (also in my "essay") make for what can be safely called repetitive battles.

It's not like I tried to find those problems, they're immediately apparent. And I've given the game credit for its high points multiple times over.

Could somebody he isn't ignoring give him the message? Apparently the use of reasoning skills annoys him or something.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
We're the good guys, not you!
#19JHH62Posted 1/23/2013 10:40:45 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#20JHH62Posted 1/23/2013 10:49:37 PM
So the only way you back up your topic is by saying this game is good? And like P_T said, what you're basically saying is that we're not allowed to express our opinions?