Nobody on this board should review a video game. Ever.

#31Bass50Posted 1/24/2013 7:41:42 AM
Chaosmaster00 posted...
super_luigi16 posted...
But you can't prove that there is no fun to be had. Hence, you can't objectively prove that there is no incentive--

Religion logic always immediately cancels your validity beyond the point it's mentioned.

http://www.wtfcaptcha.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WTFCaptcha-Baseball.jpg

And since it's used in nearly every post they make...
#32ThatGuyZPosted 1/24/2013 8:35:21 AM
super_luigi, can you honestly explain to me how:

-Me using any sticker other than the basic ones they give me on the field as a means to test what they do and never really bother to pick up anything unless they're Shiny/Flashy ones at best is a good thing?
-That me purposely going into regular battles as a means to keep myself entertained and to waste stickers so my album could be empty enough to fill it up with Thing Stickers that I THINK I may need because they generally have no purpose outside of mashing the A Button to win within boss battles after I've used weakness stickers?
-How I've only gone to the shop to sell Stickers as opposed to only buying ones I test out ONCE and never go back unless I'm trying to empty out my inventory?
-How my coin count, for obvious reasons, will never drop below the thousands because I only use them for the Roulette, when that naturally should not be the case?

I'm sorry, but the Sticker System, much less the battle system, is flawed/broken beyond all belief. It's too easy and literally gives no (practical) incentive to go into unless it's your first time playing. Compared to the previous entries, it's rather laughable...
---
Jumping around, reading Tropes all day. Got video games to play, school sure isn't easy. 3DS FC-5370-0900-3336/Wii-U: NewZen41
#33poptarts22Posted 1/24/2013 9:27:33 AM
The problem is with the game mechanics themselves.

1) There is too big of a power difference between battle stickers and Thing stickers when it comes to bosses. It's okay to make bosses have weaknesses, but not to the point that it almost completely negates anything outside of infinijumps, especially when the game expects the player to have flung specific Things into stickers ahead of time. From there it becomes an issue of knowing when to use the specific thing stickers on top of already having them (i.e. the sponge right before the poison spit). Yes, you can get specific hints from Kersti about the boss...after you die. In fact, needing to fling Things into stickers in the first place ends up hindering the entire mechanic in the first place, as cute as the dev team may have thought it was. This might be alleviated a bit if the game treated Things as permanent objects you retained in your inventory that simply required "Thing Points" (TP) to use.

2) 50% of the Thing stickers don't get used outside of contributing them to the museum. By the time you have enough sticker pages to justify carrying around multiple giant Thing stickers, the game is almost over, at which point you have also been taught to be punished for using any Thing that isn't the "right" Thing.

3) Many segments of game progression are locked behind invisible blocks and narrow passages in the background of the screen. It's okay to hide extra, fun goodies and secrets to games. It's not okay to hide game progression behind those things. It's a puzzle to decipher hieroglyphics in a temple. It's not a puzzle to jump at a specific spot (and this is outside of the invis blocks that have flowers underneath them as a clue) or walk behind a random bush that otherwise looks flat, even with 3D on. Imagine if you couldn't clear the original Super Mario Bros without knowing where the invisible 1-Up mushroom was on stage 1-1.

4) There is no meaningful reward for combat; therefore, there is no reason to get into combat. Prior to world 4, the amount of coins you get for defeating an enemy is negligible, especially when stickers are so abundant that the only thing you need to use coins on is black market Things and secret doors. The one saving grace of game design in this aspect is that battles aren't forced.

The only real point where the game hit it's stride was World 4; specifically, the Enigmansion. The puzzles had context, (fire) battle stickers were on par with Things in boss combat, and progression flowed extremely well.

Anyway, just wanted to get this out there, regardless of whether or not you agree with any of the points brought up. It's okay to defend a game, but it's frustrating to see a game being defended over the wrong reasons.

And, again, none of these things are game-breaking, they are just poor game design choices that could have easily been alleviated by a few tweaks to gameplay.

Sticker Star felt like it was too afraid of being an RPG, but when it drifted towards being a point and click puzzle adventure game, it didn't drift far enough and the final result was some hybrid that didn't incorporate proper game mechanics from EITHER genre.
#34SpunkySixPosted 1/24/2013 9:31:18 AM
Guys. He used subjective fun as an argument, then tried to reverse the burden of proof. And he ignored ME because apparently I don't know how arguing and opinions work.

You will never win any debate here because people don't know how they work and refuse to give up when they've been repeatedly countered, even going so far as to use the same arguments that have already been countered over and over in a loop.

This board kind of sucks.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
We're the good guys, not you!
#35super_luigi16Posted 1/24/2013 12:38:06 PM
Chaosmaster00 posted...
Religion logic always immediately cancels your validity beyond the point it's mentioned.

http://www.wtfcaptcha.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WTFCaptcha-Baseball.jpg

Wonderful contribution. You can't argue that there is incentive because you can't prove that (a) coins aren't an incentive, and (b) people can subjectively like battles, so you try to make me the radical one. You're the one who worships the freaking Goat when someone calls you out for a screwy grasp of probabilities. Your comment is solely indicative of your inability to prove anything.

ThatGuyZ posted...
super_luigi, can you honestly explain to me how:

-Me using any sticker other than the basic ones they give me on the field as a means to test what they do and never really bother to pick up anything unless they're Shiny/Flashy ones at best is a good thing?
-That me purposely going into regular battles as a means to keep myself entertained and to waste stickers so my album could be empty enough to fill it up with Thing Stickers that I THINK I may need because they generally have no purpose outside of mashing the A Button to win within boss battles after I've used weakness stickers?
-How I've only gone to the shop to sell Stickers as opposed to only buying ones I test out ONCE and never go back unless I'm trying to empty out my inventory?
-How my coin count, for obvious reasons, will never drop below the thousands because I only use them for the Roulette, when that naturally should not be the case?

Why would I bother trying to explain any of that to you when you're so entrenched in your opinions that you post something along the lines of this:

I'm sorry, but the Sticker System, much less the battle system, is flawed/broken beyond all belief. It's too easy and literally gives no (practical) incentive to go into unless it's your first time playing. Compared to the previous entries, it's rather laughable...

I've got finals this week and next week, so it's an absolute waste of my time to try to change your preconceptions of this game. I've already argued against those points, yet you don't even bother to look at those arguments. If you want to act as if your opinion is fact, then your illegitimacy will speak for itself. But, again, this is exactly why people like you shouldn't write reviews--rather than looking at the game objectively, you look with your feelings and with your preconceived notions that this game is "laughable" "compared to the previous entries." What a joke.
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project
: Revisions to KH3D FAQ | Upcoming Project: Luigi's Mansion FAQ
#36Mariofan15Posted 1/24/2013 1:54:13 PM
Are you guys still arguing with him? Just ignore him,label him as the fanboy he is,and move on.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
#37super_luigi16Posted 1/24/2013 2:22:28 PM
Mariofan15 posted...
Are you guys still arguing with him? Just ignore him,label him as the fanboy he is,and move on.

A fanboy that gave the game a 7/10. I must be the worst fanboy ever.
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project
#38FishyGoodness12Posted 1/24/2013 2:22:35 PM
SpunkySix posted...
Guys. He used subjective fun as an argument, then tried to reverse the burden of proof. And he ignored ME because apparently I don't know how arguing and opinions work.

You will never win any debate here because people don't know how they work and refuse to give up when they've been repeatedly countered, even going so far as to use the same arguments that have already been countered over and over in a loop.

Burden of proof? LMAO you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Just please hush up and get on with your lives, arguing over something this stupid is just dumb.
---
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
#39SpunkySixPosted 1/24/2013 2:40:46 PM
FishyGoodness12 posted...
SpunkySix posted...

Burden of proof? LMAO you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Just please hush up and get on with your lives, arguing over something this stupid is just dumb.

Okay. Then you hush up.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
We're the good guys, not you!
#40super_luigi16Posted 1/24/2013 3:13:16 PM
FishyGoodness12 posted...

Oh look. It's the guy who likes to satirize people for liking a game and then resort to saying that other people can't play a game or have opinions when he's losing an argument.

Besides, you guys were the one to take up the challenge. You didn't have to respond if you didn't want to. I already proved that there is an objective reason to battle, and, on top of that, there's a subjective reason that you can never argue, unless you want to get into an opinion battle. But, knowing you, you'll just state that others' opinions suck.

It would be very nice if you guys would stop doing that already. Your argument largely consists of seeing how many times you can say that coins aren't an incentive because you like to spend time getting stickers in game for free. Ironically, you'll later argue that the battling is broken because you can buy Flashy Fire/Ice Flowers/Shells which you need lots of coins to do--hence, an incentive to battle. Unless, of course, you're saying you want to go search for coins in the level which can, what, buy one Flashy Flower? Hypocrisy at its finest.
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project