I want to like this game

#1jwolfe340Posted 1/26/2013 3:13:57 PM
I really do. However, I have a bit of a problem. I find there to be a lack of incentive to battle. In the older entries, even in Super Paper Mario, there was a level system that encouraged consistent and random battling. Here, however, all battling does is waste your limited amount of attacks. Sure, some enemies drop decent stickers, they're usually inferior to the ones I wasted fighting it. Please, give me a reason to like this game. I loved the others and waited restlessly for this. I want to love it. Please give me incentive to finish it.
#2howdydoodlePosted 1/26/2013 3:51:54 PM
It gets kind of fun to strategize how to beat every battle in one turn for a "perfect". Later in the game there will be flags in the sticker grounds that will be unfurled for certain accomplishments, including 500 perfects and 1000 excellent attacks.

You get way more coins at the end of each level for defeating many enemies, and you get coin bonuses for perfects.

Or... don't bother fighting every enemy, just zip through the game avoiding as many enemies as possible. Maybe it will grow on you eventually and you'll start to enjoy the battles more.
---
Video games ruined my life! Fortunately, I still have 2 lives left.
#3Czar_YoshiPosted 1/26/2013 4:36:14 PM
jwolfe340 posted...
Please give me incentive to finish it.

Sorry, subjective fun is the only incentive. If you don't care for it, then you'll just have to live with the facts that you're out $40 and TTYD is now 8 years old with no sequel.

Too harsh? Maybe, but it's reality and reality can be harsh.

HowdyDoodle, there's no strategy to getting perfects when you can't choose what enemies to target. Getting a perfect equates to using a flashy fire flower, flashy hurlhammer, shell, or thing. No strategy, just spamming.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#4SpunkySixPosted 1/26/2013 7:23:44 PM
Honestly, I can't MAKE you love it, because if you don't like the battling by itself, giving you reasons to do it won't make it feel better. Maybe if you ignore the battles and focus on other aspects of the game, a good portion of which are fairly cool, you'll like it more.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Goof Troop has the bloopinest bloop.
#5PT_PiranhaPosted 1/26/2013 8:30:03 PM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
TTYD is now 8 years old with no sequel.

"Bad" sequels are still sequels.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#6MarioPenguin5Posted 1/26/2013 9:28:35 PM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
If you don't care for it, then you'll just have to live with the facts that you're out $40 and TTYD is now 8 years old with no sequel.

In the past 8 years, there have been many tragic things that have occurred: the Benghazi attacks, the Newtown shooting, the war in the Middle East and many many more things. Well, I'd like to add another tragedy to the list of awful things that has occurred in the last 8 years: a good video game hasn't had a good sequel yet. I believe that this too reminds the people that life and reality can be harsh. Thank you President Obama.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#7SpunkySixPosted 1/26/2013 9:39:57 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
Czar_Yoshi posted...
If you don't care for it, then you'll just have to live with the facts that you're out $40 and TTYD is now 8 years old with no sequel.

In the past 8 years, there have been many tragic things that have occurred: the Benghazi attacks, the Newtown shooting, the war in the Middle East and many many more things. Well, I'd like to add another tragedy to the list of awful things that has occurred in the last 8 years: a good video game hasn't had a good sequel yet. I believe that this too reminds the people that life and reality can be harsh. Thank you President Obama.

Based on the way people on this board seem to react to criticism, you'd think that would be up there, actually.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Goof Troop has the bloopinest bloop.
#8Ansem_the_evilPosted 1/27/2013 5:12:44 AM
If they just keept the story, chacters like partners and leveling up this game could have been awsome but it turned out to be just an ok game
---
My 3DS FC: 1332-7692-1950
#9FishyGoodness12Posted 1/27/2013 8:53:39 AM
Ansem_the_evil posted...
If they just keept the story, chacters like partners and leveling up this game could have been awsome but it turned out to be just an ok game

TTYD rehash then? lolnothanks
---
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
#10DMZappPosted 1/27/2013 10:22:56 AM
FishyGoodness12 posted...
Ansem_the_evil posted...

TTYD rehash then? lolnothanks

You're not who I usually type the following to, but...

Balance of old and new is what fans and customers want, not extremes like 3 of the 4 Mario games released last year did (this game and Party 9 for extreme new, NSMB2 for extreme old), as well having their gameplay ideas thought out completely (which the 3 games did not do).

Balance is key. Balance is essential. Balance draws new customers in and keeps old fans on. Why can't you "you wont uh TTYD rehash" generalizers understand this?

(end mini-rant)

(On Topic) Well, it really pains me to suggest an unorthodox method of play (since it's work the developers should have done in the first place), but maybe try and use this hierarchy in deciding what stickers to use, as a way of economizing:

Found in current level > unused from previous levels
Normal Stickers > Thing Stickers
Dusty > Normal > Big Shiny > Shiny > Flashy > Megaflash

...or just avoid enemies altogether as suggested by others.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 2664-2654-8959
Nothin' much, just cookin'.