Help! Ive never been so on the fence about buying a game before.

#1JonbazookabozPosted 1/27/2013 10:47:46 AM
Literally cant make my mind up. Need a definitive answer. Is it worth having or not? Is it fun or not?
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#2Chaosmaster00Posted 1/27/2013 10:53:43 AM
Fun? Depends on if you have good attention to detail and a knack for the occasional Moon Logic puzzles; as long as the battling system doesn't turn you off with boss battles basically being puzzles themselves and enemies being more of obstacles than real fights, you might like it. Music's good, the graphics/3D is great, but there's really minimal story too.

If you've played any other Paper Mario game, you'll know why this shouldn't be considered an RPG, but it's a good game otherwise... probably a 7/10 game. If you need some details, try watching a gameplay vid on YouTube or something to at least get a feel for what you'd be getting yourself into.
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#3FishyGoodness12Posted 1/27/2013 4:21:19 PM
Chaosmaster00 posted...
Fun? Depends on if you have good attention to detail and a knack for the occasional Moon Logic puzzles; as long as the battling system doesn't turn you off with boss battles basically being puzzles themselves and enemies being more of obstacles than real fights, you might like it. Music's good, the graphics/3D is great, but there's really minimal story too.

If you've played any other Paper Mario game, you'll know why this shouldn't be considered an RPG, but it's a good game otherwise... probably a 7/10 game. If you need some details, try watching a gameplay vid on YouTube or something to at least get a feel for what you'd be getting yourself into.

Do you even know the definition of RPG? >->
---
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
#4Chaosmaster00Posted 1/27/2013 4:58:25 PM
FishyGoodness12 posted...
Do you even know the definition of RPG? >->

From wikipedia:

Role-playing video games (commonly referred to as role-playing games or RPGs, as well as computer RPGs or CRPGs) are a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world. Many role playing games have origins in pen-and-paper role-playing games [1] such as Dungeons & Dragons, using much of the same terminology, settings and game mechanics. The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests. The major similarities with pen-and-paper games involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion. Electronic medium removes the necessity for a gamemaster and increases combat resolution speed. RPGs have evolved from simple text-based console-window games into visually rich 3D experiences.

Now, in detail, what this game has from this:

a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist as this character lives immersed in a fictional world.

The player in RPGs controls one character, or several adventuring party members, fulfilling one or many quests.

Then again, what videogame isn't like that? Any game with any character fits that first description. As for the quests thing, even non-RPG's can use quests. One catch-all of a description does not an RPG make.

Now, what are stigmas of RPG's this game does NOT have:

involve developed story-telling and narrative elements, player character development, complexity, as well as replayability and immersion.

Virtually no story beyond the intro, no development (increasing sticker capacity is not development; if you say it is, does that not make things like LoZ RPG's?), little complexity beyond Moon Logic puzzles (which really aren't "complex" as they are headache-inducingly annoying), no replayabilty (once you know how to beat the game, it becomes a joke, and there's no file-specific incentives to beat the game more than once; as long as you have one file that unlocked the Sticker Museum rewards, you don't need to fill up the museum in another file), and zero immersion to this game.

I don't care if you think you're funny or cool trying to instigate something in the topic of someone asking about the game, but if you have nothing to add to help his or her desire to buy this game or not, why do you even bother posting?
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
#5MarioPenguin5Posted 1/27/2013 5:03:14 PM
Yeah whatever it may not be an RPG, but please explain what you mean by these "Moon Logic puzzles"? All the puzzles where you stick a thing on another thing are pretty straightforward and intuitive if you think for like 10 seconds. What puzzles are you referring to exactly?
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#6Chaosmaster00Posted 1/27/2013 5:22:25 PM(edited)
If you need specifics, the weaknesses of the first and third world bosses (I would say the second as well, but his is KINDA obvious; only a little bit more so than the first and third), which if you don't use the weakness or outright spam Things on any bosses, you're going to have a tough time (go from fighting ~5-10 HP foes in battle to suddenly a 90 HP boss that 1/4's the damage they take by regular non-Thing stickers in world 1, to most all the other worlds with enemies ranging from 10-25+ HP for regular foes and 300-400 HP bosses who also quarter non-Thing damage, not including the final boss (who halves instead of quarters), whose weakness you have to use progressively in a gauntlet style format to beat until a penultimate Final Battle whose total HP is a massive 500, though with knowledge and skill, can be brought down easy, mind you.

Outside of bosses, you have the hidden blocks in 3-5 that you HAVE to hit that nothing explains about, there's both of the snow-melting segments of 4-1whereyou can't progress until you collect something the game presents as something meant to be OPTIONAL, the obviousness questionable 5-1, the hidden REQUIRED exit of 5-3, and let's not forget all the hidden-in-the-shadow Things in this game there are little to no hints of being able to get, like Turkey, D-Cell Battery, and Powder Puff.
---
#7NintendoDudeGuyPosted 1/27/2013 6:49:47 PM
you have the hidden blocks in 3-5 that you HAVE to hit that nothing explains about

Actually, the forest Toad in the shop level says something about it. They say there was a bridge and now it's gone. I tried paperizing but there was no sticker outline. ...After some time I suddenly thought "invisible blocks!" and found them.
---
"Please... never do anything as crazy as that again...."
"...I'll think about it."
#8Chaosmaster00Posted 1/27/2013 7:20:29 PM(edited)
While he does hint at there having been a bridge before, that doesn't exactly mean anything for the puzzle. He could just have easily been referring to the broken bridge itself and NOT the invisible blocks you have to hit by the bridge to be able to cross it, as he does not give any direct clue as to how the broken bridge is to be remedied.
---
#9deaddaysPosted 1/29/2013 8:55:40 AM
As long as you don't mind using Gamefaqs on a couple key spots, yes, the game is great and you should buy it if you like Paper Mario games.