I never noticed this about the World 2 boss (World 2 boss spoilers)

#1PT_PiranhaPosted 1/30/2013 10:16:29 PM
Instead of FIGHT! at the beginning, it says PLAY BALL!

Never noticed that. I guess if it hadn't sunk in what the idea of the level and the method to beating the pokey is by that point...
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#2Chaosmaster00Posted 1/30/2013 10:19:14 PM
You only just noticed?

I noticed it my first time... :/
---
Unofficial Sage of The Denpa Men board (Awaiting the sequel: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Apparently a PM:SS ''know-it-all''
#3PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 10:39:11 PM
I tend to take messages that get a total of 1 second of screentime for granted.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#4SpunkySixPosted 1/31/2013 3:17:50 AM
What I want to know is why does being in a baseball stadium suddenly equate to being weak to bats? It's a hint sure, but if you take a second to consider it, it makes absolutely no sense.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Oh, the food? Tasted like blood...
#5CursePosted 1/31/2013 8:04:06 AM
It's not just that. It's also the fact that his body segments are shaped like balls and that getting rid of them is the obvious way of weakening him. The stadium is just there to give you a hint about which of the thing stickers that could potentially do this is the correct one.
#6shadowreaper7Posted 1/31/2013 8:17:55 AM
Curse posted...
It's not just that. It's also the fact that his body segments are shaped like balls and that getting rid of them is the obvious way of weakening him. The stadium is just there to give you a hint about which of the thing stickers that could potentially do this is the correct one.

Although this is true. Did you think that using a bat would be any different from using a hammer (and you can't use a hammer because of the spikes?). I sure didn't.

Even shells don't work (IIRC) and logic suggests they should. It worked in previous titles against pokeys.
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#7CursePosted 1/31/2013 10:40:00 AM
I did think that the bat would work right away. The reason why hammers don't work is because Mario can't get within range because of the spikes. But there's two good reasons to assume that this wouldn't be a problem with the bat. First, it was a really big bat, so the range would be longer. And second, none of the thing stickers I had used at that point were used by Mario directly. The things just showed up and moved on their own, so I figured that the bat would likely do that too anyway. As for the shells, well, yeah. They're regular stickers. Of course something that simple wouldn't be the solution. Thing stickers are special, so of course they'd work even if a regular sticker didn't.
#8PT_Piranha(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 12:18:14 PM
Shell stickers do damage the Pokey, but not like the Bat does. And the damage is real inconsequential.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#9SpunkySixPosted 1/31/2013 8:18:20 PM
Curse posted...

But the bat knocks out individual segments in a way that really isn't how pokeys normally work. You'd think whacking his face would do the most damage, and the whole point of the fight would be to keep his segments underground so that you can do that, or to just smack away his segments like any other pokey.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Oh, the food? Tasted like blood...
#10CursePosted 1/31/2013 8:41:57 PM
I don't get what's so different about knocking segments using a bat than how it normally works. The way I see it, normal stickers don't do it as easily because that Pokey is too big and shiny. But thing stickers are more powerful, so the bat can do it. Also, as far as I remember, in most Mario games when you knock away a Pokey's head, the top segment becomes a new head. And even if you didn't know that, that boss still had a ridiculous amount of health even when he starts out buried, so just keeping it buried doesn't sound like it would be enough. The segments are clearly the Pokey's main defense by keeping Mario out of hammer range and also aid it in its attack by allowing it to fall from a greater height and deal more damage when it crushes you. Any way I look at it, it makes perfect sense to assume that you need to get rid of them first. And all of the other clues point towards the bat being the way to do it. Not all bosses are obvious, but I think that this one definitely is.