Reviewing this for a buddies website, how's the review?

#11Razum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 12:27:47 AM
Which is a perfectly fair opinion. Random battles in most RPGs register as obstacles to me and little else. The only ones where I seek out battles are the ones that I enjoy the battle system (Tales of games, Megaman Battle Networks, Paper Marios, etc). While I do love Final Fantasys, Dragon Quests, SMTs, etc, I don't often seek out random battles because outside most bosses and some specific encounters, the battle is merely basic attacks to win. To me, how much enjoyment the battle system gives is a prime reason to fight random battles (I detest grinding and general end up at low levels, which adds to the game for me as I like a challenge).

But, like I said, I understand where you're coming from.
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer
#12Czar_YoshiPosted 2/3/2013 1:04:42 AM
Razum posted...
Which is a perfectly fair opinion. Random battles in most RPGs register as obstacles to me and little else. The only ones where I seek out battles are the ones that I enjoy the battle system (Tales of games, Megaman Battle Networks, Paper Marios, etc). While I do love Final Fantasys, Dragon Quests, SMTs, etc, I don't often seek out random battles because outside most bosses and some specific encounters, the battle is merely basic attacks to win. To me, how much enjoyment the battle system gives is a prime reason to fight random battles (I detest grinding and general end up at low levels, which adds to the game for me as I like a challenge).

But, like I said, I understand where you're coming from.

The main issue here is the fact that fun is subjective. If you had fun, that's great, but it doesn't guarantee that everyone will have fun with it. It's not something everyone will be able to gain from battling, unlike EXP, which can lead to character customization and multiple playstyles.

Here's some typos I noticed:

Razum posted...
There really isn't anything more to the story then that. It's a standard Mario story where Boswer did this and took Peach, go collect this to stop him. With no story in-between, you're left with a pretty underwhelming story that I can't give better than a 3/10.

Obvious.

Razum posted...
Some levels do mix it up pretty well, like a level that emulates Luigi's Mansion and requires you to find 100 Boo's hiding in a mansion to move on.

Should be Boos.

Probably some more I missed, but every bit helps.

Other than that, it's pretty well written. There's some stuff I disagree with, but reviews are opinion based and as long as you back up your statements it's totally fine.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#13FishyGoodness12Posted 2/3/2013 8:13:15 AM
Razum posted...
Final Thoughts
Overall, Paper Mario Sticker Star is a good game and a lot of fun. Most of its biggest flaws are from comparing it to previous Paper Mario titles, though it does have a couple flaws on its own. I've decided to give this game 2 separate scores. One is the game as its own game; the other is a game as an entry in the Paper Mario series.

As a game on of its own, the game a blast, well worth playing through, but doesn't really stand out as a top game of its genre, so I'm giving it a 7/10

As an entry into the Paper Mario series this game losses a lot of the charm of the series from the loss of partners/characters and the bare-bones story. It's still fun, but if you're looking for a Paper Mario like the first 2 and nothing else, you'll probably want to give this a pass. As a Paper Mario game, I'll give this a 3/10.

Best review I've read. You actually gave it two seperate scores.
Too harsh on the second score though.
---
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
#14Razum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 11:19:17 AM
Yeah, I understand that fun is subjective. I ultimately game it a 7 in the gameplay largely because of that. Thanks for pointing out the spelling errors, not sure how I missed Bowser.

The second score is as low as it is because I looked at it as if it was I was expecting a sequel to PM1 and TTYD. Ultimately, it's got some drastic differences that would make someone expecting that rather upset.
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer
#15Razum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:00:45 PM
Thanks for the input on this everyone, much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone have input on what other games I should review if I do anymore for his site?
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer
#16Czar_YoshiPosted 2/9/2013 11:22:34 PM
Razum posted...
Thanks for the input on this everyone, much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone have input on what other games I should review if I do anymore for his site?

Sonic '06.

If you've never played it, forget it, because I don't want to put you through that. However I absolutely love reading reviews for that game, and the more the better.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#17Razum(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 9:03:48 AM
I have actually, but not recently enough to have the knowledge required to review it. Haven't played it since it came out, and as you mention, it's not something I'm really looking to replay.
---
UMvC 3 Team:
Haggar/P.Wright/Spencer