Anyone else get stuck at this game way too much?

#1InuYashaaaPosted 2/5/2013 2:40:12 PM
I've almost never had problems with getting stuck in any other games. The previous Paper Mario games were straightforward all the way too. I imagine SPM was too but it was too boring to play all the way through. And I've played tons of other games, even puzzle games that were simple enough to figure out.

This game though, I got through a few worlds with very little trouble, but where I am now it seems I need to stop playing and look up how to do something in every level. And it doesn't turn out being things like "Oh, I'm an idiot for not figuring that out myself", it's usually "How the hell was I supposed to know to do that?". Like hammering a completely random spot, or using a very specific sticker I may not have even known existed in a place there was no slight hint I was even supposed to paperize...

It's just making it completely impossible for me to be immersed in the actual game. Maybe if the hint button they put in the game was actually useful it wouldn't be a problem, but all that does is give you the same annoying comment no matter where you are in the level.
#2KorlithielPosted 2/5/2013 2:51:23 PM
I've gotten stuck a couple of times which I just couldn't devote the time to finding out the answer. But it doesn't really ruin the experience for me, since I can so easily just find a guide as necessary.
---
Compounded - Chemistry themed board game, on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/XIcdXO
Gert's Gaming Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCupGMZ3gBhIGVZ_TSUBgM_w
#3yzmanPosted 2/5/2013 7:03:46 PM
I used a guide on this game because it was way too opaque on what to do.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#4Czar_YoshiPosted 2/5/2013 8:31:28 PM
I didn't use a guide, but the puzzles were very frustrating. And yes, they are badly designed, it's not your fault, and this is widely acknowledged by all but a few fanboys who are in denial.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#5SpunkySixPosted 2/5/2013 8:46:14 PM
Yep, this is backtrackapalooza, even with a map.

And what's funny is that this was supposed to be the most accessible PM game yet, but somehow it has caused WAY more confusion than any other game in the series. Talk about irony, right?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Sometimes we even manage to speak words.
#6PT_PiranhaPosted 2/5/2013 9:45:56 PM
More times than I would have liked, but not as much as when I played Zelda Spirit Tracks.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#7Final Fantasy2389Posted 2/5/2013 11:16:27 PM
I got stuck quite a few times myself and it was annoying.

And I know I didn't collect everything but it honestly feels like I've checked every level from top to bottom completely. Though I think last I checked I had only gotten 67% of the heart ups. What?

That and the last boss battle is the most trial and error BS I've ever experienced for a final battle. I had to restart 4 times to figure out which "things" I needed to play the game properly and not just force my way through to the end (which I doubt I would have been able to do without 3 pages of mushrooms).
---
Former WWE Diva & BJJ Blue Belt. Smart. Sexy. Powerful. Eve Torres <3
http://bit.ly/MQgbcu | http://bit.ly/Lw3HJz
#8Czar_YoshiPosted 2/5/2013 11:31:28 PM
PT_Piranha posted...
More times than I would have liked, but not as much as when I played Zelda Spirit Tracks.

Really? I could see that for the final section of the Tower of Spirits (although I consider that legitimate difficulty and not fake difficulty because it never asked you to do something completely absurd) but for the most part it was a fairly straightforward game...

Final Fantasy2389 posted...
That and the last boss battle is the most trial and error BS I've ever experienced for a final battle. I had to restart 4 times to figure out which "things" I needed to play the game properly and not just force my way through to the end (which I doubt I would have been able to do without 3 pages of mushrooms).

You wouldn't have been able to do it with three pages of shrooms, you would need all that space for attack stickers because he has so much HP.

But the shrooms don't even matter because blocking reduces damage by half instead of 1 in SS and the game throws so much HP at you it's ridiculous.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#9PT_PiranhaPosted 2/6/2013 10:37:32 AM
Towards the end of Spirit Tracks I couldn't figure anything out on my own. Now part of that was maybe because by a certain point I'd just developed a dependency on any Spirit Tracks FAQ I could find, but I still don't remember the difficulty of the puzzles fondly.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#10howdydoodlePosted 2/6/2013 12:00:13 PM
Yes. It offends my intellect not to be able to figure out a Mario game without resorting to a guide. Especially one this silly.

I had to use a guide more for this one than for Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars, Paper Mario N64, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, and Bowser's Inside Story combined. Mostly because I don't think I ever had to use a faq for any of them except post-game to find any secrets I'd missed.

My intellect was offended, my self-esteem blown to the wind, and I may never be the same...

(presses back of hand to forehead in a melodramatic fashion and sighs deeply, mournfully, regretfully...)
---
Video games ruined my life! Fortunately, I still have 2 lives left.