Would the game have been improved with more penguins?

#1MarioPenguin5Posted 2/5/2013 9:39:36 PM
Would Paper Mario: Sticker Star have been a better game with more penguins? - Results (102 votes)
Yes
70.59% (72 votes)
No
29.41% (30 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a flawed game. The battle system, while interesting and fast, has a few kinks. There is about three minutes worth of story, and like one puzzle is confusing.

People have been throwing around "improvements" on this board that they believe, that if Intelligent Systems implemented them, the game would have been much improved. Some changes are things like "The story should have been more in depth", or "Make coins more worthwhile". I want to say a suggestion for an improvement that I feel would fix all the issues that people have with the game: add more penguins.

As the people who played the game up to 4-1 know, there are penguins in Sticker Star, making their comeback appearance after being shafted in Super Paper Mario. While they still have their cool shades from New Super Mario Brothers Wii, all they do is slide down an ice bank and try to prevent Mario from reaching the top of the bank. It is a lackluster effort on the part of Intelligent Systems with their implementation of penguins. Penguins could have done a whole lot more.

For instance, instead of making a Blue Shell sticker, simply replace it with a Penguin sticker. The Penguin sticker would be exactly the same as a Blue Shell sticker, except it is a Penguin tobbagoning over the enemies and it would be awesome. That would completely fix the battle system, as Penguins melt the ice around people's hearts. Seriously, how could you resist a Penguin running over enemies? Much cooler than an empty, boring Blue Shell running over enemies.

Secondly, any penguins at all that got involved with the plot would have made the story more interesting. We must remember our ancestors, aka Chapter 7 of Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64. The murder mystery was a bland idea, until they did it with penguins! Then Intelligent Systems did it again in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door when Pennington helped catch culprits on a train. Paper Mario: Sticker Star didn't need to rehash the "penguins plus mystery" theme that had been going on. Intelligent Systems could have done a number of things with the jack-of-all-trades penguin. Such as making them the villain instead of Bowser. Instant great story! Or how about replacing Kersti... with a penguin???

Finally, the puzzles in this game were pretty intuitive for the most part, but there was no puzzle involving a penguin. That is a shame. As I have just covered, the first two games in the spin-off series of Paper Mario feature penguins and puzzles, as well as a few Mario Party games. Which is why it made no sense to me that there was no penguin "Thing" sticker. Heck, it did not even have to be a penguin "Thing" sticker. They should have put a giant penguin in your way, and the only way to get past would be to equip the penguin with giant sunglasses! Intuitive, and involving penguins, a perfect puzzle. A penguin "Thing" sticker could have also taken the place of the Refrigerator and it would have been 20 times better.

I really hope my words have convinced you that penguins deserve to be highlighted more in a possible sequel to this game, but if they haven't, you can always vote no. All in all, penguins own.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#2Czar_YoshiPosted 2/5/2013 11:23:36 PM
I don't know whether this is a joke topic or you're one of those crazy people who are obsessed with some random thing from a game (series), but I'm inclined to think it's a joke because a true fan would know that the PM64 penguins are called Bumpties and the SS penguins are called Cooligans.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#3Watt64Posted 2/6/2013 12:59:45 AM
No way. Penguins can be removed forever for all I care.

Watt, on the other hand, needs more love.
---
"Hi, mister! I'm Watt. Can I, um, get out of here?"
#4SpunkySixPosted 2/6/2013 3:37:33 AM
Absolutely.

Penguins = good game design
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Sometimes we even manage to speak words.
#5StephenYap3Posted 2/6/2013 6:47:35 AM
The game would need more than just Penguins to be perfected.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(
#6StarSpriteZeroPosted 2/6/2013 2:10:07 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
Heck, it did not even have to be a penguin "Thing" sticker. They should have put a giant penguin in your way, and the only way to get past would be to equip the penguin with giant sunglasses!

Or they could have had a crying penguin that dropped his ice cream and had a crown sticker so Mario could give him some shaved ice! Better boss than the World 4 boss anyway. (I beat the boss too easily with 2 infinijump stickers.... they shouldn't have made him too easy when you had access to infinijump stickers...)
---
"There is no I in team..." (3DS FC: 2535-3686-5966)
"But there's no team in win is there? Just like our football team!"
#7MarioPenguin5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 3:24:25 PM
Please vote if you haven't! This is a very serious poll.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#8SpunkySixPosted 2/8/2013 5:10:04 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
Please vote if you haven't! This is a very serious poll.

Clearly.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Chris Chan > Sonic X Chris
#9Adamario_129Posted 2/8/2013 11:11:07 PM
Scientifically, no Paper Mario game where a penguin had extended lines of dialogue has ever sucked. So extrapolating from that, yes, having more penguins would have improved this game.
---
"An apostrophe does not mean 'uh-oh, here comes an s.'" - Dave Barry
#10Chaosmaster00Posted 2/8/2013 11:39:29 PM
Adamario_129 posted...
Scientifically, no Paper Mario game where a penguin had extended lines of dialogue has ever sucked. So extrapolating from that, yes, having more penguins would have improved this game.

Rudimentary, my dear Adamario.
---
''Sage'' of The Denpa Men board (Completionist Medal of Honor: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Don't bother sending me Swapnotes.