I wonder what the thought process behind Bowser... *spoilers*

#21MarioPenguin5Posted 2/9/2013 1:15:48 PM
SpunkySix posted...
And besides, the bolded part is a half truth. Whether you realize it or not, music, story and atmosphere all affect your gameplay experience.

well considering the two games I've played the most in the last 10 years have been Super Mario Strikers and NHL 2K10 (which is godawful, but it's my only hockey game), I'd say I extremely undervalue any of this. But you're right, for non-sports games I do expect those things, I just don't care as much as some of you about them.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#22SpunkySixPosted 2/9/2013 4:09:31 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
SpunkySix posted...
And besides, the bolded part is a half truth. Whether you realize it or not, music, story and atmosphere all affect your gameplay experience.

well considering the two games I've played the most in the last 10 years have been Super Mario Strikers and NHL 2K10 (which is godawful, but it's my only hockey game), I'd say I extremely undervalue any of this. But you're right, for non-sports games I do expect those things, I just don't care as much as some of you about them.

SMS had music and atmosphere, as did NHL 2K10. Especially SMS though.

Just saying.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
Chris Chan > Sonic X Chris
#23MarioPenguin5Posted 2/9/2013 4:40:31 PM
SpunkySix posted...

Just saying.

And neither one had especially good atmosphere or music. I played the two games for the fun they brought, not to hear the same 3 songs over and over (Super Mario Strikers) or for the awesome crowd and stadium graphics (National Hockey League 2000 and 10).

I wish I recorded some of the crap that goes on in National Hockey League 2000 and 10, it's ridiculously buggy at times.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#24SpunkySixPosted 2/9/2013 5:49:05 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
SpunkySix posted...

Just saying.

And neither one had especially good atmosphere or music. I played the two games for the fun they brought, not to hear the same 3 songs over and over (Super Mario Strikers) or for the awesome crowd and stadium graphics (National Hockey League 2000 and 10).

I wish I recorded some of the crap that goes on in National Hockey League 2000 and 10, it's ridiculously buggy at times.

SMS at least had a very solid atmosphere, and the music was still better than none at all. You not liking them subjectively doesn't make them not there.

Say if, instead of being shocked on an electric fence and screaming, the characters just flashed red and fell on the ground silently, or all of their win/loss/entry/scored/scored on animations were gone, or all of their Super Strikes were generic kicks, or all of the stadiums were the exact same theme, or the music didn't change when using a Super Strike, or all of the characters reacted to everything the same way, or the pre game holograms were replaced with generic character portraits. That would make the game feel empty. All of those add to atmosphere, and alone they're small, but together they add up.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
#25MarioPenguin5Posted 2/9/2013 6:39:09 PM
SpunkySix posted...
SMS at least had a very solid atmosphere, and the music was still better than none at all. You not liking them subjectively doesn't make them not there.

Say if, instead of being shocked on an electric fence and screaming, the characters just flashed red and fell on the ground silently, or all of their win/loss/entry/scored/scored on animations were gone, or all of their Super Strikes were generic kicks, or all of the stadiums were the exact same theme, or the music didn't change when using a Super Strike, or all of the characters reacted to everything the same way, or the pre game holograms were replaced with generic character portraits. That would make the game feel empty. All of those add to atmosphere, and alone they're small, but together they add up.

You're not understanding my point. All I'm trying to say is that I play the games for their gameplay. Not for their atmosphere, not for their story, not for their music. I play them for how much fun they are. Hell, I mute the sound when playing Super Mario Strikers and put my iPod on shuffle instead. Fun gameplay is what keeps me coming back. I just played Super Mario Strikers yesterday, and I'm in the middle of my third straight season in National Hockey League 2000 and 10.
---
#26SpunkySixPosted 2/10/2013 6:54:34 AM
Alright. And all I'm saying is that if every piece of every game that wasn't pure gameplay got super simplified or removed, you'd be playing some pretty boring games, even for you. So while gameplay is the biggest factor by far for you, whether you think about it or not, it certainly isn't the only one.
---
Tissue to the extreme!