Just got this game..

#1JenestyPosted 2/8/2013 3:53:39 PM(edited)
So, today I bought this game. I've never played any Paper Mario before, but I'm a huge fan of Mario games, so I thought it would be fun. I thought it would be something like the Mario & Luigi games. (Superstar Saga, Partners in Time and so on.) I don't know how you call that sort of games, but I mean the ones where you play in a big world where you slowly explore every part of it, oh, and the turn-based fights of course. But.. I'm playing this for like 2 hours now, and it's so.. the same? I like the whole concept and stuff, but will it be like this the whole game? Also, this game has levels. Levels.. 1-1, 1-2 and so on. I thought of this game more like an RPG, not a platform..

I'm sorry if I'm complaining too much. I like the game, but I think it's kinda boring if it 'stays' like this the whole game, you know what I mean? I wanna visits towns and cool places and stuff like in Superstar Saga. But I'll be kinda sad if this game only has levels and one town in the middle..

Also, what was your first impression of this game?

EDIT: Forgot to ask what the reason of battling is.. Since you don't earn any experience points. Can you even reach a higher level? I guess not. Right now I'm just avoiding enemies because I don't get the point of fighting them at all. :/
---
A Game Girl.
#2gamezrochardPosted 2/8/2013 4:37:20 PM
There is no point, and the battle system doesn't evolve any further then what you have now. Thus, the downfall of this game, as some claim. I personally, think you should return it, and get the Gamecube version, or 64 version. Those would seem to match your needs much better.
---
Quoting the Topic Creator's original post is stupid and redundant.
I'm here for intelligent arguments or flaming. It's your job to decipher which.
#3UltraCantaloupePosted 2/8/2013 7:36:17 PM
If you have a Wii, get PM64 off of VC as soon as possible.

And Amazon prolly has TTYD.
---
Hey, thanks for reading this! It took me a while to type it out.
#4McmadnessV3Posted 2/8/2013 7:57:31 PM
Some people think it gets better later, others think it gets worst later.

My advice is to just keep going for a little while longer and if your not having fun, just return it and buy PM 64 off the wii's eshop.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#5pokemongamesPosted 2/8/2013 8:04:39 PM
World 2 is fun, so at least you can look forward to that.
---
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, and I am 100% proud of it.
#6PT_PiranhaPosted 2/8/2013 9:56:16 PM
I liked World 4 a lot.

And after a disappointing first level, I liked what World 6 had to offer from then on.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#7CopShow GuyPosted 2/8/2013 10:40:39 PM
You don't get stronger though battling so there really is no point. The only way you get stronger is by picking up HP increasing items in the levels. As your HP increases, that increases the damage you do with attacks outside of battle (hitting an enemy with your hammer/jumping on an enemy to start a battle). You can get strong enough to kill low tier enemies without going into a turn based combat (you get less money out of it).
---
GET AGAINST THE TREE!!!
~ The Sage of Shadow ~
#8Jenesty(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 6:04:49 AM
Thanks for the reactions. I think I'll keep playing for a while. I don't have a Wii or an N64, but I do have a GC so maybe I'll try to find the GC version of Paper Mario later.

Also, are there things I should keep in mind? I heard you can screw this game up by using rare stickers too early and get stuck in boss fights and such..
---
A Game Girl.
#9McmadnessV3Posted 2/9/2013 8:35:18 AM
Jenesty posted...
Thanks for the reactions. I think I'll keep playing for a while. I don't have a Wii or an N64, but I do have a GC so maybe I'll try to find the GC version of Paper Mario later.

Also, are there things I should keep in mind? I heard you can screw this game up by using rare stickers too early and get stuck in boss fights and such..

You can go back to where you find thing stickers to pick them up again, or you can go left to where you paperize things to find a secret store to buy things you have previously found.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#10Czar_YoshiPosted 2/9/2013 11:02:11 AM(edited)
Jenesty posted...

TTYD (GCN Paper Mario) is commonly regarded as the best.

Regarding bosses, it's more of an issue of not knowing what sticker to have, rather than using it beforehand (you can get more things, but only one of a kind at a time, however you aren't told what thing you need for the boss until you're in the boss room, and even then the hints are very vague).

However, there are some missable easter eggs in world 3 that are impossible to obtain without a guide. The window of time for obtaining them is extremely small, and during it the game is rushing you to go complete a very simple other objective.

Read after completing 3-3, if you ever get that far:

Once you have defeated a wiggler segment and it's on your team in the overworld map, you need to take it to some special locations before taking it home. Each segment can only go to one place, and I don't think the order you do them in matters. The places are: The poisoned hot spring, a large sunflower in the bafflewood, and the viewpoint in 3-6. For each one you visit, wiggler will complete a diary entry that you can read after beating the world 3 boss.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780