Discussing each level as I'm playing..

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  3. Discussing each level as I'm playing..
3 years ago#1
So since I'm currently in the process of going through the game for the first time I thought I'd give my thoughts on each level.

Decalburg
Introduction: I really liked the intro to this game, it was fun trying to find the Toads and getting into the whole paper aspect of the game. Pulling the bowser tapes and stickers was pretty intriguing at this point because it was the beginning, plus the whole thing storyline with the Toads was more than I expected for the intro.

World 1

1-1: Tutorial level for the most part, but I thought it was fun. It introduced the paperization, things, and of course fighting. I really like the aspect of paperization and it's kinda cool seeing all the everyday objects that are included in the game as things, so that's a plus. The fighting at this point is alright, being the first level and that's all I will say on that. The fight with Bowser Jr. was a basic tutorial boss battle, and his personality is almost exactly what I expected it to be.

1-2: I found this level to be very boring, because you're not really doing anything in it... it literally feels like you're playing in a platformer for the majority of this level. The part with the fan was annoying for me because I didn't understand how to get passed it at first, and it took me around 3-4 round trips around the level before I realized that you how to press an invisible button on the fan in order to turn it off. Oh well.

1-3: Decent level for the most part. It introduces Kamek, who has a great personality in this game, a great combination of wicked and funny. The rest of the level was pretty linear, so finding the first goal star is pretty simple. However, it was fun trying to find the hidden goal star, which I actually didn't find until I went back to this level searching for the faucet. Getting the faucet was a little confusing, but I eventually figured out that you had to jump on it.

1-4: Not a very memorable level, and what I do remember was decent at best. Using the fan to turn the windmill had a cool animation, but the rest of the level was medicore. The big buzzy beetle fight was underwhelming, and the whole thing with the Green Toad is tedious (I still haven't done it).

1-5: I don't remember much about this level either, but I recall it involving a ton of backtracking with the whole white gate thing. The most memorable moment of this level is when the boulder slides down the mountain and messes up the whole level.

1-6: For the first boss level, it is very underwhelming. I had to use a guide for the first time before I realized that you had to use stickers to cover up the blowing fans in the first half of the level (how was I supposed to know to do that?). After a while I finally was able to cover the spikes at the beginning of the level with the rug and I was free to face the boss. The boss itself was pretty simple after I learned its pattern, so I didn't even have to use the scissors (I didn't have the sticker anyway iirc).

World 2 will be put up soon
---
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, and I am 100% proud of it.
3 years ago#2
Sounds like you went in with some high optimism and expectations and the game isn't loving you back.

1-2 is standard fare, so get used to it.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
3 years ago#3
Please dont post any more. Coz our enjoyment of this game is at polar opposite ends of the spectrum in contrast. And it will save me writing a review contradicting everything you say.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
3 years ago#4
johnnybazookabo posted...
Please dont post any more. Coz our enjoyment of this game is at polar opposite ends of the spectrum in contrast. And it will save me writing a review contradicting everything you say.

What? I should stop posting so you don't have to write a wall of text for the sake of disagreeing with me?

No thanks, I think I'll keep posting. You can disagree with me whether you write a wall of text or not. I've written a ton of walls of text in defense of my opinions, and never once have I had to say, "go away, disagreeing with you is too much work".
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
3 years ago#5
Czar_Yoshi posted...
johnnybazookabo posted...

What? I should stop posting so you don't have to write a wall of text for the sake of disagreeing with me?

No thanks, I think I'll keep posting. You can disagree with me whether you write a wall of text or not. I've written a ton of walls of text in defense of my opinions, and never once have I had to say, "go away, disagreeing with you is too much work".

^This.
You never had to write a review to contradict him to begin with. You can argue against his points (that a vast portion of not just this board agree with) which doesn't have to take up all too much text at all.

Why should he stop writing just because you don't like what he has to say?
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
3 years ago#6
World 2

2-1: I did not like this level one bit. When the levels it nicely transitions from World 1 into World 2, but this level does not do the rest of World 2 justice. For the most part it's just a straightaway path up to the end, which is reminiscent of a 2D Mario game, which would be okay if there was an interesting theme for the level, but there isn't. Honestly, I'm not that big of fan of when we had to walk up the sandy slop either... but I guess that isn't that big of a deal. Climbing the pyramid at the end was pretty interesting though. Overall not a good level, but luckily World 2 gets better from here on out.

2-2: Fun level, I like it a lot. I'm going to start off on a bad note though, this level is where the tediousness and repetitiveness of the battles really begins to show, I honestly feel like I'm wasting stickers at times during the battles, but still it's not that bad yet. Now about the level itself... it was pretty fun to say the least. After I eventually figured out how to get passed the first room with a secret door, the rest of the level was fun. I thought the idea of walking through a big Yoshi (albeit a sphinx) was a nice thought. The end battle with Kamek was great, and changing all of your stickers into flip-flops was rather funny, mostly because it was unexpected and random :P. Kameks personality is beginning to shine here as well.

2-3: Not a memorable level in anyway, but what I will say is that there were a lot of coffins... lol. Anyway, this level starts off linear but quickly becomes a little complicated. I literally got through the level by luck, but I didn't know we could jump on the coffins until I luckily happened to jump while standing next to one. Mario's face when first opening the coffins was pretty funny, but it turns out that the mummies inside are just a bunch of paper with stickers inside them, whatever. The end of this level involved you trying to sink a bunch of sand to climb a pyramid again... it was a decent ending though.

2-4: Oh man... this level is a great example of good on paper, bad when actually done. This is the whole level; suck up all the sand with the vacuum, fill the pool with the faucet, leave. That would be okay, if we got more of a hint as to what thing sticker we needed... I had yet to get the faucet so I once again to use a guide to get through. Kersti gave a really good hint on the vacuum though, I must say, so that was simple enough to figure out. Anyway after getting the faucet, I filled the pool, had a quick laugh about the Toad in the pool, and then finished the level.

2-5: Bad level. I do not like it one bit. I get what they were going for by having us look at the pictures on the wall to see what stickers we need to get through each floor, but to base an entire level on that? I don't it was a good idea. Anyway, once I finally got passed all the floors in the pyramid, I was able to fight the boss. The boss itself was pretty unique, and after finding out that the bat was absolutely a must for this fight, pretty simple and fun. I liked the baseball theme of it, and the bat animation was great. Overall not a good level though, the boss makes up for the rest of the level quite a bit though, stopping it from being a horrible level.

On to World 3
---
3 years ago#7

How about you go away if you have a problem with opinions.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4513-9468-5924
3 years ago#8
Mariofan15 posted...

How about you go away if you have a problem with opinions.

This. The guy's just giving his honest opinion on the levels, playing the game with an open mind, and he will continue to do so. No-one can stop him.

Plus, stopping this topic just because of one person's feelings? If what he were posting were really really hateful, then yeah, but this guy's giving the game a chance to impress, so...how about no?
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 2664-2654-8959
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
3 years ago#9
I'm on the final boss now, so I'm just going to get this out here now. The fighting in this game isn't fun (barring boss fights) and it is just completely pointless after World 2. I ran from almost every battle starting from World 3 and I still am finishing the game with around 1800 coins.

- No Experience
- No Leveling Up
- No Powerups
- Excess Coins throughout the game
- Tedious and at times just a waste of stickers

I can't think of one good reason for why I would want to fight any of the non-boss enemies in this game.
---
3 years ago#10
pokemongames posted...

- No Experience
- No Leveling Up
- No Powerups
- Excess Coins throughout the game
- Tedious and at times just a waste of stickers

I can't think of one good reason for why I would want to fight any of the non-boss enemies in this game.

This is why I lost interest so quickly. oh well. -_-
---
Name: trev. :}
3DS FC -- 0559-7269-5928
  1. Boards
  2. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  3. Discussing each level as I'm playing..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived