It's just too bad that Nintendo won't learn their lesson from this.

#1BlackSaborPosted 2/22/2013 11:15:47 AM
This is possibly the worst 'quick cash in' Nintendo has ever done. I don't need to list what's wrong with this game. Many of you already know, so I won't waste my time.

What the big issue is, is that Nintendo is starting to get into this habit of taking things we want, and using them as a quick cash in knowing we'll buy it on release day not knowing it sucks. They've done it before, but like I said this is possibly the worst case of them just getting everything wrong and not giving us what we actually want.

And the worst part is it doesn't matter. the devs of games get the most money from the initial sale of the games, the 40 dollar price tag. Buying it used for 25 dollars at a later time, or even less doesn't hurt them because they aren't getting that money anyways.

Basically, because we all buy it right away, it doesn't hurt their sales, and they get away with making a bad game scott-free.

And this isn't the first time, it's just the latest time they've done this. I'm just getting sick of Nintendo pretending like they don't know what we want.

We want a REAL paper mario RPG. We want a REAL new pokemon stadium with a ton of awesome features. We want a REAL star fox on rails shooter. We want a REAL new metriod game.

But instead they just make crappy games, or hire other companys to make them (badly) with a small budget and make a huge profit and pretend that they don't exist.

At least they didn't ruin Fire Emblem.
#2RMR_SS_BBSPosted 2/22/2013 11:23:11 AM
The worst one? Try playing any NSMB game.

That trash is pretty much the reason why I've come to detest the Platformer half of the Mario franchise.
#3LonelyGoombaPosted 2/22/2013 11:26:59 AM
this wasnt a cash grab lol.. it took forever to make.
if it was a cash grab they wouldnt have scrapped the whole game and start over.
It was a design choice which means they did it because they thought it was the right choice, not for money
---
Watch my video's please...or else...
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
#4BlackSabor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 11:27:57 AM
Yeah I admit it's pretty bad. I haven't played any of the NSMBs since the very fist one on the DS, but the fact that they've made 2 in the last year is just ridiculous. I have heard that the Wii U one was actually pretty good, the world was very different and interesting for once. But again, that's just what I've heard.

What the NSMB 'series' has though, is an excuse. At least they have the excuse of coming out to have a Mario game on the new consoles almost right away. Most of the other ones have no excuse. However it is really dumb that they can get away with rehashing the same games over and over and over again.

I just don't get how they can rehash some series over and over, but completely ignore the other ones. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
#5BlackSabor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 11:31:21 AM
LonelyGoomba posted...
It was a design choice which means they did it because they thought it was the right choice, not for money

Them thinking this was the right design choice means that they should go back to game design college. This game is so bad it has to be clumped into the 'adventure' genre because it lacks good elements of anything else to even be considered those things. Map like a platformer with no platforming. RPG style battles with no actual RPG elements. And stupid either overly easy or overly cryptic puzzles that have no actual satisfaction to be considered a puzzle game.

It sucks so bad at everything. It has to be categorized as an 'adventure game' like IS says it is.

Though there was an interview a long while ago with IS that said it was originally an RPG, but nintendo make them scrap it and start over because it was 'too much like TTYD'. That really grinds my gears. 'Oh sorry, this game is gonna be too successful. Make it suck, please.'
#6LonelyGoombaPosted 2/22/2013 11:36:13 AM
i know the problems with the game

but it wasnt a cheap cash grab.. its just not that good
---
Watch my video's please...or else...
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba
#7shadowreaper7Posted 2/22/2013 11:48:55 AM
BlackSabor posted...
LonelyGoomba posted...

Them thinking this was the right design choice means that they should go back to game design college. This game is so bad it has to be clumped into the 'adventure' genre because it lacks good elements of anything else to even be considered those things. Map like a platformer with no platforming. RPG style battles with no actual RPG elements. And stupid either overly easy or overly cryptic puzzles that have no actual satisfaction to be considered a puzzle game.

It sucks so bad at everything. It has to be categorized as an 'adventure game' like IS says it is.

'too much like TTYD'. That really grinds my gears. 'Oh sorry, this game is gonna be too successful. Make it suck, please.'

Is it flawed? Yes.
Is it Broken? No.

Its a mediocre game. It had some stuff which actually performs quite well. The control schemes, overall level design and interaction is probably just as intuitive as past paper mario titles.

I can't argue personally with the puzzles. Because i stand at the point where i'm in agreement (with a great amount of others on the board) that the puzzles do suffer from the flaw you mention in being too simple or overly cryptic.

I however wouldn't call it bad.
Nintendo went into this believing they were making the right decisions, and it would be a harsh place to say they should go back to game design college based simply that the new ideas they brought to the field in sticker star failed miserably in most aspects.
Yes, it was poor decision making, but its not as though they went to a half-a**** effort in an attempt to take our cash. Regardless of what i may look like.

Also, the decision to change it from looking and feeling like TYD was simply because it was decided the similarities were too similar and it would feel like Nintendo had lost all imagination with the project. Even though we can argue in hind-sight they probably should have stuck with what they did well and knew.
It is not conversely what you portray it as in "oh, its too successful if we leave it as TYD, so lets make it suck." That is not a conscious design decision.

I'm not saying that it didn't turn out to have its flaws. It did. And don't think i'm here trying to defend the game and call it a masterpiece compared with other games in its field and compared with the predecessors. I'm not.
But i don't believe it to be a cash grabbing attempt by nintendo merely because the game has its faults which even imo should have been corrected or at least thoroughly looked at through any form of beta testing to decide whether it would hit the targets or not.
I just don't find that it is cash grabbing. I could make the same claim about Sonic 06, but there again, that game was in parts actually broken. You could stand upright on a 45 degree surface. That is something which should be looked at.

But you have to go about and show how many good games nintendo has put forward compared with how many bad games they have put forward believing they are good.
There are quite a few substantially worse games nintendo publish under their name (but not under their direction) than this.

TL:DR
You should read my post. :L
---
Black FC: 2666-8397-4718
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out! Don't Fear the Reaper
#8BlackSabor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 12:22:11 PM
The big issue is that this could have all been avoided. They pretend they don't know what we want, even though we constantly ask for it.

I never said the game was broken. I just said it was bad. What makes a game mediocre and not bad? When a game has more bad qualities then redeeming qualities. The only redeeming quality with Sticker Star is that the dialogue is still pretty good. Even if it's not as good as the other games, it's not really bad.

While my game design college comment is harsh, it's mostly me saying something very true in a mean way. Game Design 101 on a series level is pretty simple. Take what WORKED, and EXPAND on it, and add new ideas. Instead of scrapping a TYD style game. CHANGE it a LITTLE, because being like TYD would not have been a bad thing. It's considered one of the best Nintendo RPGs of all time.

The biggest thing was I wasted my money on this. I am a consumer. And I am very unhappy with Nintendo having a double standard about things. They don't give us the very simple things we want for no reason.

How hard is it to make another Paper Mario RPG? How hard is it to make another on-rails Star Fox game? How hard is it to make a Pokemon Stadium like game? (It would be very different, but it could be very very very good).

The thing is, they seem to PURPOSELY give us what we don't want with a lot of things. Which just doesn't make any sense. So to me it feels like a money grab when they go out of their way to make a game we DON"T want, and it sells well anyways.
#9MarioPenguin5Posted 2/22/2013 4:56:22 PM
BlackSabor posted...
The big issue is that this could have all been avoided. They pretend they don't know what we want, even though we constantly ask for it.

You constantly asked for it on a message board that no Nintendo developer reads. Did you get a bunch of people to send emails? Did you answer polls related to the Paper Mario series? Did you get anyone to picket Nintendo Headquarters for a Paper Mario game in the style of The Thousand Year Door? If not, then you weren't really asking for the game. You can't just make posts on the internet and expect them to do anything. You have to be proactive if you want a developer to make a game you want.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#10Chaosmaster00Posted 2/22/2013 5:03:10 PM
Like they would have listened to us over the word of Miyamoto.
---
''Sage'' of The Denpa Men board (Completionist Medal of Honor: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Etrian Odyssey 4: DEFINITELY F.O.E.