I am absolutely baffled as to how they could make this game so bad. **spoilers**

#1Austin_4ePosted 3/4/2013 6:48:59 PM
I haven't played this game until recently. I was willing to suspend my expectations and try this out, especially with how everyone's been raging about this. I figured I loved Super Paper Mario despite all its hate, so I thought that the same thing applied here. I thought I'd probably love Sticker Star and everyone was on a nostalgia-blinded rage bandwagon like Super Paper Mario. I was wrong.

So this is my disappointment rant. If you're not interested in reading, the topic list button is at the top of the page!

Feel free to counter these points, but these are what I believe the biggest problems are...

STORY! This is the absolute worst thing about what they've done. I was able to look past Super Paper Mario's flaws, because despite it's lack of real RPG elements and some REALLY bad level design at times (Mimi's coin collecting, Bleck's castle, Sammerguy Kingdom, etc) it had an amazing plot with some extremely interesting and likable characters.

Sticker Star has none of this. Bowser kidnaps Peach. Kersti is the useless hint partner this time around. That's the plot, plain and simple. No twists, interesting subplots, or anything. They took everything that made Paper Mario out of Paper Mario. This might as well be New Paper Mario Bros.

BATTLES! There is so many things that are so wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin. First you're limited to stickers. WHAT A TERRIBLE CONCEPT! The worst part of this is how easy it would've been to fix. How? Give Mario two moves... JUMP and HAMMER. Then use stickers as items / special attacks. How hard would that have been!? They could have made leveling up unlock more sticker space / HP. No. Instead we have this terribly broken system. Battles have no purpose besides wasting stickers you'll inevitably need later for mandatory battles. Coins and Stickers are literally handed to you everywhere. Why battle? You're better off avoiding / running from fight and saving stickers for bosses, but that leads to another problem...

BOSSES! The best example of this problem is the second main boss. You absolutely NEED the baseball bat to do this battle. Unless you have 30 of those green multi-jump stickers, there's no way you'll knock down all 300 HP, and that's assuming you got the timing down perfectly for the action commands and can get all ten jumps in one sticker.

Now the game does a good job of hinting at this... the fight is in a baseball stadium, the fight starts with the words PLAY BALL, etc. What's the problem then? Well if you didn't find the baseball bat while playing through the game and get to this boss, YOU'D HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO FIND IT! Why? Because it's hidden in a coffin, in some random room, in the middle of a desert level, that's also a maze. Now would this be your first guess as to where the baseball bat is? OF COURSE NOT! And every single boss has these special items that are basically required to win, and the hints to these are BEYOND vague later on! So literally every boss comes down to, you either have the random "use this to win" sticker or you don't. Bosses require no skill, but random special stickers!

PUZZLES! This is the largest problem. Let me explain to you what the problem is...

Remember Creepy Steeple in Thousand Year Door and how everyone considers it one of the worst chapters because of all the backtracking?

Paper Mario Sticker Star literally takes the Creepy Steeple approach to puzzles / progression and applies it to an entire game!!!

Enjoy backtracking through the entire game constantly to find that ONE sticker you need to progress. Oh yeah you'll also be given little to no clues on where they are, and their locations will never make logical sense. Don't have enough space for it? Prepare to toss some useful stickers for it!

/rant
---
http://i.imgur.com/PSz4T.gif | http://i.imgur.com/FIpNw.gif | http://i.imgur.com/K86pJ.gif
[[ PSN: Austin_4e ]]
#2PT_PiranhaPosted 3/4/2013 7:17:24 PM
Good call, I'm certainly not interested in reading.

Not because I disagree, but because after all this time there can't be any meaningful complaint left about this game that hasn't already been voiced.
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."
#3Mariofan15Posted 3/4/2013 7:20:51 PM
Good call, I'm certainly not interested in reading.

Not because I disagree, but because after all this time there can't be any meaningful complaint left about this game that hasn't already been voiced.

That's because everything the game did wrong is the only thing to complain about.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:0691-4768-6135
#4avengahPosted 3/4/2013 7:26:53 PM(edited)
Here we go again.

The only three things I'm going to say is that there is a clue for the Bat, as well as the Bulb, Radiator, Bowling Ball, Fishhook and a few other required items. If you find the item, you won't get the hint, and in some cases, the character giving the hint will vanish. Miss the item, however, and the character giving the hint will keep giving you the hint until you do find it. There aren't many NPCs in the game, really, so if someone got totally stuck without a required Thing and no idea where to even START looking, I guarantee someone will tell you where it is.

Secondly, if you're going for 100%, battles are required - and if you've got plenty of coins and have been paying attention to the NPCs and your surroundings, you'll rarely need to backtrack. (I don't count going to Fling-a-Thing as backtracking.)
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#5avengahPosted 3/4/2013 7:33:26 PM
Have you tried running from a boss then refighting it? Give it a try. As for random battles, some people enjoy them. It all comes down to personal taste. And with all those coins, it minimises backtracking even more - you can buy replacement Things instead of going back for them. Seriously, the most backtracking I ever had to do to complete the main plot was to go through half of 2-1 and 5-1 again. That's pretty much it for compulsory backtracking.
---
#6Mariofan15Posted 3/4/2013 7:41:45 PM
Have you tried running from a boss then refighting it? Give it a try. As for random battles, some people enjoy them. It all comes down to personal taste. And with all those coins, it minimises backtracking even more - you can buy replacement Things instead of going back for them. Seriously, the most backtracking I ever had to do to complete the main plot was to go through half of 2-1 and 5-1 again. That's pretty much it for compulsory backtracking.

That's the thing. You should never have to run from a Boss just to get a hint on how to beat it or to go back and find a thing you'll need. That's bad game design.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:0691-4768-6135
#7avengahPosted 3/4/2013 8:01:37 PM(edited)
Yeah, I agree there. Boss hints should definitely have been worked into the game in a better manner.

I don't normally get involved in these topics for obvious reasons, but I have done this time because I'm sick of seeing people repeatedly state untruths about the game. Yeah, the person complaining found all the items he needed, but what if he didn't? Don't assume the game doesn't drop some hints just because you didn't happen to see any.

Case in point 1: the Toad outside the east house in Decalburg during World 2 hints at the bulb and the bat. He actually appears BEFORE the level hiding the item he hints at, so you get your hints early if you bother to speak to him. He is one of the few Toads that's not always there, so again, it can be as simple as paying attention and noticing a new Toad has appeared.

Case 2: the Green Toad in 3-6 hints at the Bowling Ball. He also hints at the required Scrap in 3-5, as well as the not-so-required comet piece in 3-8. His next hint is obvious, though - "don't jump into poison, but jump into holes that don't contain poison when the opportunity presents itself". Really?

Case 3: Several Toads at Surfshine give you hints for the Fishhook, both before and after the fish appears.

Case 4: In 3-10, refuse the final part of the stage. You'll be told: "You'll be REALLY glad to have it in a cold place, and stuck if you don't. You know what I mean?"

So anyway, this game has its flaws and could have done some things better. But I still find it fun, and am on my second 100% run. I enjoy the battles, though; I think that's a big factor in whether someone will like the game or not. To me, it's good fun and I will continue to play it. And I never got stuck either.
---
#8StephenYap3Posted 3/4/2013 8:36:33 PM
avengah posted...
To me, it's good fun and I will continue to play it. And I never got stuck either.

This. However, the first time I did get stuck, but the second time and onward, I never did.
---
Awaiting for Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (Classic style), Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Mario Sports Mix successor on Wii U...
#9wiiking96Posted 3/4/2013 8:44:46 PM
The problem with hints from Toads is that they look so uninteresting that few people will bother with talking to them, and out of those few people, few will pay serious attention to what they have to say because they won't know that Toads give hints. I sure didn't, and you can't blame me; the Toads are dull.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#10avengahPosted 3/4/2013 9:32:11 PM(edited)
What about if you get completely stuck at a Thing paperisation spot? You haven't got what you need, and there are over 20 levels to scour. In that situation surely, talking to the Toads would be something you'd think to do... even if you don't normally?

Still, I never had any problems finding required stuff. Even the most craftily-hidden optional stuff, e.g. Powder Puff, I found my first time in the level - it's late game and I learnt how the developers hid things.

Oh, apparently there's another clue - in 2-4, if you haven't ever picked up the Vacuum, I think you'll be given a clue as to its location by the Toad there but I haven't seen this one myself. I'll try some things on my next file.

I'll try and paraphrase the 3-6 green Toad's Bowling Ball hint: "Deep within the Bafflewood sleeps a sacred orb of lustrous black. It is hidden behind an ingenious device called a fence; a device so crafty, it can only be broken by the throes of a child." You've got to appreciate the old-fashioned style they went for with Greeny!
---