So this is the worst Paper Mario?

#1Grand_BluePosted 3/9/2013 7:19:34 AM
I've never played Paper Mario, so is it a good idea to play this one first since it's the worst so I can enjoy the other ones? That seems like a good idea, what do you all think?
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#2ZendaikPosted 3/9/2013 7:29:57 AM
Or you could just...play one of the better ones and forget about this one.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#3MarioPenguin5Posted 3/9/2013 12:01:55 PM
It's the second best one, right after Super Paper Mario.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#4ExcaliburPosted 3/9/2013 12:14:14 PM
Playing this one first sounds like a bad idea, but after playing the others, you're not gonna want to play this one.

I'd say just play the other ones and pass over this one.
---
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.
#5john_the_IIIPosted 3/9/2013 1:02:09 PM
Excalibur posted...
Playing this one first sounds like a bad idea, but after playing the others, you're not gonna want to play this one.

#6ponyseizuresPosted 3/9/2013 1:20:31 PM
Play this one. With lots of vodka.
Then play the other games with a solid mind.
---
3DS: 4124-4997-6171
#7StephenYap3Posted 3/9/2013 1:40:20 PM
The game isn't that bad, though the others are right. The first two titles were better and you'd most likely have to pass on this one :(
---
Awaiting for Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (Classic style), Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Mario Sports Mix successor on Wii U...
#8Czar_YoshiPosted 3/9/2013 2:29:42 PM
Excalibur posted...

If you play the others first, and like them, you'll probably not like this one.

If you play this one first, and don't like it, you may not play the others later.

Sort of a lose-lose situation, but I guess I'd play them in this order: PM64 -> SS -> SPM -> TTYD -> SMRPG.

PM64 goes first as it's really easy to get a hold of (VC), and is a good introduction to the series and sets the standard for a lot of what makes a good PM game. It could be harder to pick up after TTYD because it's essentially a scaled down version of TTYD for an older console.

SS goes second because it needs to be before SPM to put it in perspective. A lot of people also compare it to PM64, so it makes sense to play them side-by-side. They do share a few similarities.

Next comes SPM, which, IMO, is better if you haven't played TTYD yet. It also returns some of the things in PM64 that SS cut, such as a good story and final dungeon.

TTYD is next. If you *did* enjoy SPM a lot, for any improvements over 64, you might be slightly mad at it when you see how much of that was in TTYD, but will be more likely to forgive it as it still left a good/better first impression. TTYD, as stated before, is PM64 but better.

SMRPG is basically for a look at the series's past. Realistically, it could go anywhere, but as I don't want to prolong the time between 64 and TTYD it needs to go either at the start or at the end. As it's pacing is a little wonky and 64 is a really great way to start the series, it fits best at the end.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that one of the primary complaints against SS is that TTYD is 8 years old now and lacking a proper sequel. If you just play all the PM games in a row, at the same time, you'll be less likely to care about this as you haven't been waiting for the return of star points, partners and BP for an eternity. It's quite possible you may just play SS, not care for it, forget it, and move on.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#9MagnemightPosted 3/9/2013 9:14:50 PM
Y'know, I haven't actually finished SMRPG. I just got bored around the time I reached the Frog Sage. It rarely used recognizable enemies, the graphics (in my opinion, at least) haven't aged too well, the level designs weren't particularly memorable, the story seemed uninteresting, the writing wasn't as charming as the rest of the Mario RPGs..

I'm not sure why I dislike it so much, as it's the only Mario RPG I don't love. I'm not sure if it's due to having grown up with Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door and experiencing the Seinfeld is Unfunny trope with Mario RPGs, or if it's just me not liking Final Fantasy.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#10Czar_YoshiPosted 3/9/2013 9:52:15 PM
Magnemight posted...
Y'know, I haven't actually finished SMRPG. I just got bored around the time I reached the Frog Sage. It rarely used recognizable enemies, the graphics (in my opinion, at least) haven't aged too well, the level designs weren't particularly memorable, the story seemed uninteresting, the writing wasn't as charming as the rest of the Mario RPGs..

I'm not sure why I dislike it so much, as it's the only Mario RPG I don't love. I'm not sure if it's due to having grown up with Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door and experiencing the Seinfeld is Unfunny trope with Mario RPGs, or if it's just me not liking Final Fantasy.

Really? I found the graphics to be really good (considering as this is for the SNES).

The main problem with the game is it's terrible pacing. The first star is all right, the second one is a little fast, the third one is immediately in the next level, and then you have to do a long quest relating to Toadstool without a single mention of the star pieces, and then the next one is literally completely randomly handed to you once you finish.

Mallow: Well now that we've saved the princess, what's next? I know, let's go ask Frogfucius!

Frogfucius (who hasn't been heard from for several chapters): Great news, children! A star's been sighted at Star Hill!

OK... If that isn't a cop-out I don't know what is. Anyhoo, you get the star after that at a reasonable pace, and then you go through a sequence that could and should have been another chapter, but turns out to be a wild goose chase with no relevance to the plot whatsoever, and then you go on a whole huge quest in the sky, and then, when that star is long overdue, someone says, "by the way, a star fell into that there volcano a little while ago!"

Go do the volcano, and from there on it's long final dungeon. Bad pacing, no?
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780