ok i finally beat this game, 2 things

#11avengahPosted 3/17/2013 9:09:57 PM
Getting back to that post I saw the other day, I honestly don't understand why people are already looking for a good FAQ to use before they've even started up the game. ESPECIALLY with an easy game like the recent Zeldas... it's really disheartening. I think the FAQs on this site are a great resource if they're used responsibly, but far too many people use them routinely on their first playthroughs - and I don't mean when they get stuck. I mean they use them for the entire playthrough. That's really sad, and it adds more weight to my theory about younger gamers having lost the ability to think for themselves, due to the state of many games today.
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#12BrianCraigSmithPosted 3/18/2013 4:18:41 AM
daniel1232323 posted...
sticker stars main problem is how there is no direction, without a walkthrough you cant prepare for what you are going to need to get past a enemy or puzzle.

True.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
3DS: 1263-5501-9059
#13avengahPosted 3/18/2013 11:48:00 AM
That attitude causes people to use guides even for simple games. Speaking in general terms, in most games where you might need to prepare for a battle or something, there's a feeling of satisfaction you get from working something out yourself. There's also an element of surprise if you don't know what's coming. Using a FAQ will remove both of these things, making the game nothing more than an interactive film.

Now, getting back to THIS game, the clues may have been implemented badly, but I still think people should be more willing to at least try things themselves before resorting to a FAQ.

Anyway, the comment itself is false. You can prepare; you see the obstacle or enemy, you go back and prepare, you come back. In that order. It doesn't even take long in most cases; World 5-1 is the only real exception where it'll take a bit longer to go back and get what you need.
---
#14avengahPosted 3/18/2013 11:51:04 AM
Sorry, it wasn't a Zelda game, it was Partners in Time. Here's the topic in question:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928290-mario-and-luigi-partners-in-time/57185607

I am going to get this for Christmas and was going to go through all the mario rpg games so I had a few quick questions so I am ready when I get to going through this one.

1.I was look through the walkthrough and found a couple that were in a style I like so I was wondering if you could tell me which one is the best and which one I should use for the best experience.Here are the authors I was looking at CFlames55117&Kratos_42 and domz ninja.

2.Which stats should I upgrade when I level up

3.Could you give me some help with getting better the timing of counter attacks and dodges.
I would appreciate any help with this.

You see? First playthrough, he hasn't even got the game yet and he's wanting a guide. This is a terrible attitude to have.
---
#15MagnemightPosted 3/18/2013 2:46:41 PM
Y'know, I'm personally a bit curious about all the people that complain about not finding things in earlier levels.

I don't think I've ever gone through a game and put off searching for all the secret areas until later, with the exception of particularly fast-paced or action-oriented games like Sonic the Hedgehog....well, outside of most 2D platformers, anyway. I can't actually see why someone wouldn't go for the extras. Whenever I see a path split in a linear game, I try to figure out which one goes to a bonus area and which one goes forward, so that I can go for the secret area first. Why would someone refuse to go to the bonus stage of Snifit or Whiffit, for example?

The only object I couldn't find on the first time was the Light Bulb, and that was due to my lack of attention to detail.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#16TonindoPosted 3/19/2013 7:33:00 AM
avengah posted...
People who routinely use FAQs to complete games are spoiling their own enjoyment.
The problem with Sticker Star is that the game never gives you a fair chance to figure out a puzzle or a boss on your first try. It forces you to fail. The joy of figuring something out for yourself is of course important, but if a game is designed in a way that forces the player to fail at least once, then backtrack and search for the right item to progress, then using a FAQ is more that acceptable.

I don't have the time to keep replaying a level just because I didn't bring the right sticker with me. I use a FAQ to save time, but I only use it if a game is designed the way Sticker Star is.
#17MagnemightPosted 3/19/2013 7:48:22 AM
Tonindo posted...
The problem with Sticker Star is that the game never gives you a fair chance to figure out a puzzle or a boss on your first try. It forces you to fail. The joy of figuring something out for yourself is of course important, but if a game is designed in a way that forces the player to fail at least once, then backtrack and search for the right item to progress, then using a FAQ is more that acceptable.

I don't have the time to keep replaying a level just because I didn't bring the right sticker with me. I use a FAQ to save time, but I only use it if a game is designed the way Sticker Star is.

Oi. I wouldn't consider the first encounter with most Thing puzzles failures.

Most Thing puzzles take place right next to the level entrance, so if you haven't been carrying the correct Thing on you (which works perfectly well in Worlds 1-3 if you just Fling what you find) the exit to the world map is just a few seconds away. The boss battles would seem to be the exceptions to this rule, but the bosses of Worlds 1 and 2 have shortcuts to the entrance of their level that one unlocks by getting close enough to them. The World 3 boss has a very short level to backtrack through, the obstacles to the World 4 boss are gone on revisits (and leaving the level itself from the fight takes seconds), and the World 5 boss doesn't require Things, though I must admit that I reset and flung the Squirt Gun as soon as I saw him at the beginning of the level. The only real exception, as avengah said, is 5-1.

However, while I find following a walkthrough in a game dedicated to puzzles to be silly, I think it's perfectly acceptable to consult a walkthrough if you're having trouble with something. If you've tried more than three different methods on a Thing puzzle and none of them work, that's grounds enough (in my opinion) to consult a walkthrough. If a puzzle has you frustrated for longer than five minutes, go see how to solve it. But don't consult a walkthrough on a regular basis when the backtracking necessary is so short and inconsequential!
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#18TonindoPosted 3/19/2013 10:06:38 AM
Magnemight posted...
Tonindo posted...

Oi. I wouldn't consider the first encounter with most Thing puzzles failures.

Most Thing puzzles take place right next to the level entrance, so if you haven't been carrying the correct Thing on you (which works perfectly well in Worlds 1-3 if you just Fling what you find) the exit to the world map is just a few seconds away. The boss battles would seem to be the exceptions to this rule, but the bosses of Worlds 1 and 2 have shortcuts to the entrance of their level that one unlocks by getting close enough to them.
Another problem is that if you've missed a thing that you need for a boss or a puzzle, the game doesn't point you in the right direction. Kersti might give a hint that you have to use a certain type of sticker, but finding that specific sticker/thing is a whole different problem. This happened to me with the fishing hook thing. I had no idea where to start looking for it so I looked it up in a guide.

This type of game design discourages the player. There is no way to prepare for anything the game might throw at you.
#19MagnemightPosted 3/19/2013 10:09:31 AM
The Toads in Decalburg give you hints as to the location of Things that you have missed, so you can talk to them. Unfortunately, the game doesn't train you to try this out, but...

Still, you're looking for a solution AFTER coming up to the problem and failing to surpass it, so I'm fine with that, personally.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
#20avengahPosted 3/19/2013 1:41:32 PM
The Fish Hook, Light Bulb and Baseball Bat hints can be received before you enter the levels containing those things. The Fish Hook hint can be received as soon as you go to the harbour, and you can get the other two hints one level early. Go to Decalburg immediately before the levels in question for the hint. Since the hints are given before the levels containing the items (and are given until you pick the items up), you can get them long before the items actually become required to progress. (Or almost required in some cases.)
---