Okay, that was a bit uncalled for? Spoilers, I guess.

#21Czar_YoshiPosted 3/20/2013 10:14:07 PM(edited)
Magnemight posted...
I really don't see how someone can not understand that a Baseball Bat is the correct thing unless you missed the baseball bat (which would be an understandable problem, though it is in the main path) due to all of the heavy-handed hints the battle throws at you. The scoreboard in the background, the stadium itself, the boss showing all of the ball-shaped segments it's composed of to you before the fight, the initial text saying "Play ball!" on the screen as the fight starts...

And aren't a good deal of these speedruns relying on the whole "one overleveled starter can blast through the game" strategy? After the third gym one can usually has enough coverage in their team to take on all types, but for the first three, there isn't too much flexibility for one's party.

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but when I saw the scoreboard, audience, arena thing way back in the e3 trailers, all I could think was "Yay, Glitz Pit!"

And of course I hoped it would be on the saddle of the Yoshi Sphinx, which seemed bigger then than it was now. So when I finally made it up there, after being a little disappointed by the Sphinx and irritated at having to exit the level and come back for more stickers for Toad, I was paying more attention to possible TTYD references than battle hints, and that's what I took all that as.

Actually, a good number of these speedruns are relying on a single, horribly underleveled starter with bad IV's blasting through the game, aided by vitamins in Kanto, glitches in Johto, and buff ledgendaries in all subsequent gens.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonRubySapphire.html

Go ahead and watch segment 30 and you'll see what I mean. That's something you'll never see in competitive battling, no matter how skilled a player is (partly because you can't use the stat boosts from a mid-battle level up to avoid getting KO'ed).
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#22MagnemightPosted 3/21/2013 4:24:43 AM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
Actually, a good number of these speedruns are relying on a single, horribly underleveled starter with bad IV's blasting through the game, aided by vitamins in Kanto, glitches in Johto, and buff ledgendaries in all subsequent gens.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/PokemonRubySapphire.html

Go ahead and watch segment 30 and you'll see what I mean. That's something you'll never see in competitive battling, no matter how skilled a player is (partly because you can't use the stat boosts from a mid-battle level up to avoid getting KO'ed).

Well, an underleveled starter does make sense, as a good speedrun should be trying to skip as many battles through whatever means possible, but the purpose of my statement was to claim that speedruns weren't a good example of how a game should be played.

That said, bad IVs? Wouldn't bad IVs be detrimental to some of those victories that barely pull through?
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#23Czar_YoshiPosted 3/21/2013 10:38:32 AM
Magnemight posted...
That said, bad IVs? Wouldn't bad IVs be detrimental to some of those victories that barely pull through?

Well, they are. The thing is, figuring out the IV's (even approximately) of a Lv.5 pokemon at a glance is sort of difficult, and the nature is more important. In a pokemon game it's good not to reset a lot because the intro is fairly long and the game is very slow until you get the running shoes, which isn't fun to redo. So, for single-segment runs, the amount of soft-resetting you'd have to do per attempt is just too much to be really possible. In segmented runs like the one I linked to, which require a much higher level of manipulation (that full restore came from pickup), and by the time the runner realized how bad his IV's were, it was too late to do anything but force his way through with critical hits.

Nobody would take them by choice, but more often than not you get them and there's nothing that you can do about it.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#24IrcherPosted 3/30/2013 6:50:00 AM
Thing is, Bowser is practically immune to worn or normal stickers.
- Chain Chomps have like 1M Defence
---
King Ircher
3265-6203-3135 3DS Friend Code
#25avengahPosted 3/30/2013 8:06:58 AM(edited)
Chain Chomps have 2 defence but are hard coded to take no damage in battle, except for First Strikes. This gets you 10 coins, usually.
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F
#26avengahPosted 3/30/2013 8:23:13 AM
Spoilers ahead for the boss of World 4.

Thing Stickers are fun to use against the boss, but as it happens they're not the most effective weapons to use. If you pack just four Big Shiny Burnhammers (maybe an extra one or two to be safe) then start the battle with a Fire Flower Battle Spinner, each Big Shiny Burnhammer will do 99 damage, ending the battle in four stickers. The statue form won't even get to attack. BS Burnhammers do 59 normally and Megaflash do 71. A big jump from the standard 20, and a good deal more powerful than every heat-based Thing in the game.
---
My Pre-Hooktail Pit Run of Paper Mario: TTYD without Mega Rush P!
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5045EE00B4B9581F