I can and will defend this game.

#81Czar_YoshiPosted 3/19/2013 3:06:38 PM
Magnemight posted...
Czar_Yoshi posted...
There's probably also a table containing all the status conditions, that contains atk, def and accuracy modifiers for each one, whether or not they can move and how much damage they take per turn, but there are like 6 or 7 different status conditions and that table should be less than 100 Bytes.

Both of those are a long way off from the 8GB capacity of the 3ds cards.

I don't think he was referring to statuses as much as status conditions. This all depends on how status conditions were coded, but in a worst case scenario, they'd take up a lot of space. I'm not referring to an enemy's individual resistances to conditions, but their graphical reaction to it.

In the first two games (Did SPM have any enemy status conditions?), enemies with a status condition simply changed their sprite and animation speed. A 64-bit sprite takes up memory, but it doesn't take up a huge amount of memory on good systems.

In Sticker Star, every enemy, just like the previous games, needs an animation for dizziness, sogginess, and crumpled....ness, but all the animations in Sticker Star are more than sprite changes. They're model changes, or at the least, the animation of the model changes (I'm pretty sure that Crumpled is a model change). A model can take up a good amount of space in memory, and with one for each enemy, that's a good deal of memory to take up.

EDIT: Forgot to add that there could've been a programming-based method that worked for all enemies for Soggy, just as there most-likely is for Clipped/Tacked/Taped, That would save on space.

Actually, even crumpled can be done by algorithm. Most models in modern games have many vertices that you don't normally see because they appear to be part of a flat plane. However, they can still be manipulated normally and in this case a complex algorithm could be used to draw them closer together without changing the distance between any two of them, achieving the crumpled effect. In fact, if you wanted to optimize further, vertices in the middle of flat planes are very easy to add using an algorithm, too, so crumpled could be achieved entirely through programming.

Just a reminder, file size for games usually looks something like this:

Pre-rendered cutscenes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Textures and models >> Audio >>>>>>>>>>> code and text.

Sticker Star as no pre-rendered cutscenes, isn't particularly long, and doesn't even have a very large number of audio tracks. Compare this to Brawl (which saturated a Dual-Layer Disc's ~8.7 GB), which had almost an hour (I think) of pre-rendered cutscenes, over 100 audio tracks, and mounds of other stuff. There's no way SS has even close to that much material.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#82SMASHKING84Posted 3/19/2013 5:25:49 PM
Rundaz posted...
People using "it's a handheld" for their arguments are still stuck in the Gameboy age.

if games like oot can be put on handhelds there's no excuse anymore.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198321