A question about color

#1MagnemightPosted 3/19/2013 7:45:31 PM
So I was wondering about something. Almost philosophical, even.

Let's say that the neighborhood is deciding on a color that all the houses must be painted.

A big part of the neighborhood is up in arms, demanding that the houses must be painted yellow. You, yourself, fervently believe that orange is the best color for the houses, and that people don't appreciate that color as much as they should. You think that orange is the best color for everyone involved.

But you know that if you promote orange, the mean result is going to be pretty biased towards yellow.

Is it not a good idea, then, to promote coloring the houses red? By taking an extreme position, one could more easily sway the mean to be closer to orange. You, yourself, think that red is too far from yellow, but by expressing an extreme opinion, you can get it to the right color.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#2MarioPenguin5Posted 3/19/2013 7:56:27 PM(edited)
the hell is this? a Professor Layton puzzle?

e: red is the best color so that's not an extreme stance at all; blue would be
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#3DMZappPosted 3/19/2013 8:30:44 PM
Since this is on the Sticker Star board, I'm guessing..

Red= extreme old (not even one new storytelling twist or game mechanic, just the bare minimum to separate from older products, know how to design stuff from top of head)
Yellow= extreme new (everything overhauled, including game mechanics and storytelling twists that didn't hurt the original at all, even if the overhauls cause new design problems)
Orange= balance of old and new (base game mechanics and storytelling style kept in, but additions in mechanics and story twists keep things unexpected, while considering design philosophies of old and new)

...or am I wrong on this?

In any case, I'd pick the balanced option anyways (which I'm assuming to be orange), because even I know things can't stay the exact same way forever, yet I also know that new doesn't always equal thought-out. Picking red would just make me look like an old fogey, while picking yellow would imply that I don't care about the consequences of not really thinking things through...assuming that those are the colors that match.

Besides, a vote's a vote, and if the neighbours didn't pick orange the first time when I picked orange, they're sure not going to be more impressed when I pick red. The only thing I can really do is to get them to consider the consequences of picking that color before they vote.

Again, correct me if I missed the point of this topic to any degree.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 2664-2654-8959
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#4Czar_YoshiPosted 3/19/2013 10:58:29 PM
DMZapp posted...
Since this is on the Sticker Star board, I'm guessing..

Red= extreme old (not even one new storytelling twist or game mechanic, just the bare minimum to separate from older products, know how to design stuff from top of head)
Yellow= extreme new (everything overhauled, including game mechanics and storytelling twists that didn't hurt the original at all, even if the overhauls cause new design problems)
Orange= balance of old and new (base game mechanics and storytelling style kept in, but additions in mechanics and story twists keep things unexpected, while considering design philosophies of old and new)

...or am I wrong on this?

In any case, I'd pick the balanced option anyways (which I'm assuming to be orange), because even I know things can't stay the exact same way forever, yet I also know that new doesn't always equal thought-out. Picking red would just make me look like an old fogey, while picking yellow would imply that I don't care about the consequences of not really thinking things through...assuming that those are the colors that match.

Besides, a vote's a vote, and if the neighbours didn't pick orange the first time when I picked orange, they're sure not going to be more impressed when I pick red. The only thing I can really do is to get them to consider the consequences of picking that color before they vote.

Again, correct me if I missed the point of this topic to any degree.

Mostly, except I think Red and Yellow are the other way around.

Personally, I'd start a petition to fire the genius who mandated that all the houses be the same color. No, really. There's no reason why each house can't suit it's member of the community (remember, if a person is hypothetically so at odds with everyone else that the color of the house doesn't mater, they probably shouldn't be a member of the community).

Oh, and I'm answering that specifically as a hypothetical question, with no bearing on SS.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
#5PT_PiranhaPosted 3/20/2013 6:48:08 PM
This is just some metaphor for something, isn't it?
---
OH. BANANA.
"Mints make me lonely."