Did miyamoto ever explain why he didn't want any new characters in this game?

#1john_the_IIIPosted 5/18/2013 9:35:10 PM
In the iwata asks interview, all he said was "as much as possible, complete it using only characters from the super Mario world", but he never explained the reason why he didn't want any new characters
#2RMR_SS_BBSPosted 5/18/2013 10:00:25 PM
Because he can't stand the thought of a world containing characters that aren't his own; containing canon he didn't write. He's a control freak.

He is, of course, blind to the fact that a lot of people consider the best moments in his series to be the ones that he DIDN'T control. TTYD, for instance, comes to mind.
#3MarioPenguin5Posted 5/18/2013 10:05:55 PM
RMR_SS_BBS posted...
Because he can't stand the thought of a world containing characters that aren't his own; containing canon he didn't write. He's a control freak.

He is, of course, blind to the fact that a lot of people consider the best moments in his series to be the ones that he DIDN'T control. TTYD, for instance, comes to mind.

ah yes, The Thousand Year Door, a game where he acted as producer. yep, he had no say at all.
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!
#4DMZappPosted 5/19/2013 8:20:16 AM
No, TC, he hasn't explained yet, and given the (understandable) reaction people had to Sticker Star, I doubt he ever will.

But, if a guess could be hazarded...

BENEVOLENT/GOOD REASON: Miyamoto might have wanted to see what a literal translation of the Mario series would be like in Paper Mario as an experiment.

IFFY/MIXED REASON: Miyamoto wanted a total revamp of Paper Mario (and if my suspicions are correct, the other Mario spin-offs) as an artificial way to make it look like Nintendo has fresh ideas for the series, regardless of execution.

BAD REASON: Miyamoto did it as a cost-saving measure.

And the "epiphany" he had about the Mario series after Galaxy 1's release in 2007 (only gameplay matters and absolutely nothing else...an epiphany which I call Tauros plop on) may have something to do with what changed between 2004's TTYD and 2012's Sticker Star.
---
Nintendo 3DS FC: 2664-2654-8959
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#5john_the_III(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2013 9:52:22 AM(edited)
DMZapp posted...
No, TC, he hasn't explained yet, and given the (understandable) reaction people had to Sticker Star, I doubt he ever will.

BENEVOLENT/GOOD REASON: Miyamoto might have wanted to see what a literal translation of the Mario series would be like in Paper Mario as an experiment.

IFFY/MIXED REASON: Miyamoto wanted a total revamp of Paper Mario (and if my suspicions are correct, the other Mario spin-offs) as an artificial way to make it look like Nintendo has fresh ideas for the series, regardless of execution.

And the "epiphany" he had about the Mario series after Galaxy 1's release in 2007 (only gameplay matters and absolutely nothing else...an epiphany which I call Tauros plop on) may have something to do with what changed between 2004's TTYD and 2012's Sticker Star.

I highly doubt it was to save costs, I think it could've been either one of the first two reasons, or his epiphany, which like you said was the reason for the lack of a story, may have influenced his decision about not wanting new characters in the game, but one of things paper Mario is known for is it's great cast of characters, so I still think he owes us a legitimate explanation
#6PT_PiranhaPosted 5/20/2013 6:29:18 PM
RMR_SS_BBS posted...

Enough with the petty accusations, if he really hated not having total control over the Mario series, something like this would've happened way earlier than it did.
---
Contrary to popular belief, experimentation is not the same as fixing something that isn't broken. For starters, there's a different principle behind it.
#7john_the_III(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 5:07:07 PM
Bump
#8SMASHKING84Posted 5/21/2013 7:49:13 PM
MarioPenguin5 posted...
RMR_SS_BBS posted...

ah yes, The Thousand Year Door, a game where he acted as producer. yep, he had no say at all.

he obviously didn't he hates games with plots.
---
Gamefaqs where Innovation is more important then quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TuOa40N7hw
#9Luigi_64Posted 5/23/2013 2:11:57 PM
john_the_III posted...
DMZapp posted...

I highly doubt it was to save costs, I think it could've been either one of the first two reasons, or his epiphany, which like you said was the reason for the lack of a story, may have influenced his decision about not wanting new characters in the game, but one of things paper Mario is known for is it's great cast of characters, so I still think he owes us a legitimate explanation

But Galaxy was not an RPG, so we weren't expecting a good story from that, but we were for this game.
#10MarioPenguin5Posted 5/23/2013 7:52:52 PM
I wasn't expecting a good story from this game
---
Trolls have taken over our Mystic Bell Towers. I tried a fire spell on them, but it only made them crazier!