Partner Ideas for next game?

#21MagnemightPosted 7/3/2013 7:42:32 PM
Earthisnotflat posted...
Indigo209 posted...
I think it'd be amusing to see partners with ironic character quirks, like:

-A female Hammer Bro. (Hammer Sis.?)
-A female Shy Guy (Shy Gal?)
-A Bumpty who aspires to be a pilot ("Penguins CAN fly, I swear!")
-A Dayzee who's deaf
-A Bandit who's a police officer (or sheriff, a la Paper Mario: Temple of the Sun)
-A Boo or other ghost who's easily spooked and hates the dark

Or something.

Can you make the next Paper Mario game? There is more creativity in this post than all of Sticker Star.

oh boy REVERSE STEREOTYPES MOST CREATIVE THING EVER

There's nothing wrong with having characters that directly defy stereotypes, but it's not a particularly creative thing to do, and characters can be too easily defined by their refusal to follow norms.

also Boos are already really easily spooked what are you talking about

AND I'M NOT SURE WHY YOU WOULD WANT PIRANHA PARTNER.

THEY AREN'T THAT SMART. AND THEY SPEAK ODDLY.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#22DMZappPosted 7/3/2013 8:30:11 PM
A punk Draglet (as a means to bring attention to the newer Mario games)
---
Gameplay & story can and should work with each other, not against each other.
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#23Indigo209Posted 7/3/2013 8:53:04 PM
Magnemight posted...
Earthisnotflat posted...
Indigo209 posted...
I think it'd be amusing to see partners with ironic character quirks, like:

-A female Hammer Bro. (Hammer Sis.?)
-A female Shy Guy (Shy Gal?)
-A Bumpty who aspires to be a pilot ("Penguins CAN fly, I swear!")
-A Dayzee who's deaf
-A Bandit who's a police officer (or sheriff, a la Paper Mario: Temple of the Sun)
-A Boo or other ghost who's easily spooked and hates the dark

Or something.

Can you make the next Paper Mario game? There is more creativity in this post than all of Sticker Star.

There's nothing wrong with having characters that directly defy stereotypes, but it's not a particularly creative thing to do, and characters can be too easily defined by their refusal to follow norms.

Hey, now, no need for the sarcasm. I'm well aware that it's not the most creative way to make characters stand out, but it's still not really something that Paper Mario partners have done, so I was just providing a few examples to solidify the idea. Gawrsh, you're mean. :< You're right about Boos, but I was thinking more of a Boo that's scared of traditionally scary things (haunted houses, spooky forests, darkness), which most Boos seem to enjoy.

I don't see anything wrong with a Piranha partner, either. The talking ones in Paper Mario were kind of dumb, but that doesn't mean all of them have to be.
#24SullyTheStrangePosted 7/4/2013 2:22:19 AM
Partners? In the next game? Ahhh, how optimistic of you, TC...

Indigo209 posted...
Hey, now, no need for the sarcasm. I'm well aware that it's not the most creative way to make characters stand out, but it's still not really something that Paper Mario partners have done, so I was just providing a few examples to solidify the idea. Gawrsh, you're mean. :<

Don't mind him, he still can't accept how awful Sticker Star was. One jab at the game and he'll flip out like one of those flippy dog toys. I thought your ideas were pretty cool.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#25MagnemightPosted 7/4/2013 4:14:33 AM
Indigo209 posted...
Magnemight posted...
Earthisnotflat posted...

Hey, now, no need for the sarcasm. I'm well aware that it's not the most creative way to make characters stand out, but it's still not really something that Paper Mario partners have done, so I was just providing a few examples to solidify the idea. Gawrsh, you're mean. :< You're right about Boos, but I was thinking more of a Boo that's scared of traditionally scary things (haunted houses, spooky forests, darkness), which most Boos seem to enjoy.

I don't see anything wrong with a Piranha partner, either. The talking ones in Paper Mario were kind of dumb, but that doesn't mean all of them have to be.

I APOLOGIZE. I WAS DIRECTING MY POST MORE TOWARDS THE SUGGESTION THAT THESE IDEAS ARE ESPECIALLY CREATIVE, PARTICULARLY CONSID-okay I can't do Piranha Plants at all.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with having a character that exists to defy a stereotype, but those characters tend to have their entire personality defined around their defiance of stereotype, which results in a personality just as terrible as one defined entirely by stereotype.

The issue with Piranha Plants lies within how they've been portrayed; they've never been seen as intelligent before, with even Petey Piranha retaining his status as an ultra-carnivorous monster. The fact that Petey Piranha could talk in Sticker Star, of all games came as quite a shock to me. I suppose IS could go with a sort of 'pet' mentality, but that would make writing cutscenes difficult, and wouldn't that fit a Chain Chomp far more?

There's also the simple matter of coding them being more difficult; all the Paper Mario partners have been capable of ascending, whereas Piranha Plants have to stay rooted. They'd have to write a movement code for a warping partner to include a Piranha Plant, and while that would be easy work, it would still be more work.

SullyTheStrange posted...
Partners? In the next game? Ahhh, how optimistic of you, TC...

Don't mind him, he still can't accept how awful Sticker Star was. One jab at the game and he'll flip out like one of those flippy dog toys. I thought your ideas were pretty cool.

how does "half of the posts on the board" equate to "one jab"

Sticker Star is a bad game, but you don't need to jab at it during every opportunity. I don't go around on Sonic boards constantly complaining about Sonic '06, despite it being a far worse disgrace to its franchise than Sticker Star. You can't watch the segment in World 1's secret level with the Rube Goldberg Machine reference and tell me that Sticker Star is uncreative.

and we've gone without Partners for one experimental game, how does that become 'the whole series no longer has partners'
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#26SullyTheStrangePosted 7/4/2013 4:35:53 AM
Magnemight posted...
how does "half of the posts on the board" equate to "one jab"

I was referring to just this topic. You couldn't, y'know, ignore that offhand remark, or even respond to it civilly, you smashed that caps lock and went to town.

Sticker Star is a bad game, but you don't need to jab at it during every opportunity. I don't go around on Sonic boards constantly complaining about Sonic '06, despite it being a far worse disgrace to its franchise than Sticker Star.

It's weird to go around bashing 06 on every Sonic board, sure, but the 06 board? Fair game. You do remember where you are, right?

and we've gone without Partners for one experimental game, how does that become 'the whole series no longer has partners'

I don't consider the things in SPM partners either, since we're discussing actual characters here. In that sense, only 50% of the series has even had them.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#27MagnemightPosted 7/4/2013 4:44:52 AM
SullyTheStrange posted...
Sticker Star is a bad game, but you don't need to jab at it during every opportunity. I don't go around on Sonic boards constantly complaining about Sonic '06, despite it being a far worse disgrace to its franchise than Sticker Star.

It's weird to go around bashing 06 on every Sonic board, sure, but the 06 board? Fair game. You do remember where you are, right?

A board where half the topics are already "DIS GAEM SUCKS I HATE IT", yes.

I don't consider the things in SPM partners either, since we're discussing actual characters here. In that sense, only 50% of the series has even had them.

Pixl's were terrible partners, but the four heroes were functionally the same as partners. They each had character development, a fleshed-out personality, and had individual dialogues for every cutscene.
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
#28wiiking96Posted 7/4/2013 7:54:46 AM
I'd like to see some partners branch out narrative wise, having different roles in the stories. For example:

- One partner might not have much of an impact on the chapter that you get him in, but he has several important roles later on.
- Maybe some partners would know other partners from some past encounter.
- Maybe a partner could actually die and then get replaced by a relative of his/hers.
- There could be a situation where it seems obvious who your partner for the area is going to be, but then you're thrown for a loop and get someone totally unexpected. As an example: What if you got Kolorado's Wife instead of Kooper?
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#29Luigi4PresidentPosted 7/4/2013 7:20:52 PM
^^

I always felt that the roles of partners weren't as important as the roles of Bowser, Peach, Mario, and the other bad guy at that moment in time.
---
Everytime I find the key to success, somebody changes the locks.
#30firelover1991(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 10:17:44 AM
Wow, can't believe things went off topic for a bit.

Anyways, to everyone who have thought of partners and/or any other related things to partner ideas, all I have to say is: thanks.

I also like to see a Monty Mole or even a Regular/Bald Cleft as the variation of the Bob-omb partners in the first two games. That'll be interesting to see.
---
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country.
A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.