I'm kind of surprised at the lack of defenders of this game

#1wiiking96Posted 6/23/2013 5:11:36 PM
There were a fair amount initially, but they went away pretty quickly. It's not at all like with Metroid: Other M, which still has plenty of rabid defenders.

Eh, I guess it's for the better.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2ridleyslayer23Posted 6/23/2013 8:39:55 PM
I LOVE THIS GAME ITS THE BEST GAME EVAH!!!!!!!!!!111!!!

jk in all seriousness, I enjoyed this game a lot but its definitely the weakest of the Paper Mario series and I understand the dislike many people have for it.
---
Why does Ganon have no friends?
It's because he's such a boar.
#3Bleck5Posted 6/24/2013 12:01:41 PM
It doesn't deserve defending. It ruined one of the greatest franchises of all time.
#4MagnemightPosted 6/24/2013 4:36:52 PM
Bleck5 posted...
It doesn't deserve defending. It ruined one of the greatest franchises of all time.

oh geez so do you mean that TTYD and PM64 are actually less fun because of this game

because if so dang this game does deserve the hate it gets then
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#5ProphecerLaytonPosted 6/24/2013 6:40:49 PM
this game killed me; I'm dead right now
---
What about piranhas with AIDS? Which I like to call "pirAIDS"!
#6Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/25/2013 2:53:47 PM
It's a great game, and I don't see the problem with it. I thought the battle system was an interesting idea, liked the uses for it. The music was absolutely fantastic, no problems there. In fact, most hate stems from a lack of story and originality. Frankly, it just seems like they went with a more gameplay approach with this one, which to be honest wasn't all that bad. I can guarantee that the Wii U Paper Mario (with it's inevitable release) will use the ideas that go back to PM's roots, and also the ideas that were scrapped for this game- such as the card maze, and chain chomp partner. I've seen all the complaints for this game, and I don't think it gets what it deserves.

Just as a lot of people say that "this game is good, but not PM good". They showed what this game would be like, reviews old you the same, but disappointment still "stuck". Enjoy the game for what it is, and not for what it isn't.
---
Everytime I find the key to success, somebody changes the locks.
#7wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 6:27:54 PM
^ Actually, even as a game by itself, it's really flawed. The gameplay isn't well thought out; the battle system is shallow and gets really repetitive, and it's horribly balanced; the "Thing" system is done very very poorly.
---
#8Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/25/2013 8:34:03 PM
wiiking96 posted...
^ Actually, even as a game by itself, it's really flawed. The gameplay isn't well thought out; the battle system is shallow and gets really repetitive, and it's horribly balanced; the "Thing" system is done very very poorly.

Flawed? I can see some points, but I also see those kinds of points with every game. I want examples! I feel that if it was as flawed as you make it out to be then it would be unplayable. Obviously that isn't so, people have beat the game (with challenge runs too). Getting repetitive is a matter of personal opinion, it certainly felt more entertaining than simply constantly pressing A like in some RPGs. Your timed hits are even in there too, just like in previous games. Bosses can be obnoxiously long, if you don't know their weakness. It's not that hard to figure them out though, and it's not like trial and error is a bad thing, in an RPG especially. Balance? It seemed like they gave out a nice array of HP-Ups throughout the game, and if you felt it to become too easy, just don't pick those up. Honestly, the game felt like a great challenge rate after the easiness that was SPM.

Things are fine too. Using them in the overworld was creative, finding them however I'll admit was a bit rough (but hey, exploration isn't a bad thing to introduce). They work fine in battle, their overpoweredness makes up for large sticker space taken up. I rarely even used them because they're really expensive too. I think they could have done a little bit of a better job with it, but it seems to me like you're just over exaggerating it.
---
#9wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 9:39:10 PM
Luigi4President posted...
Getting repetitive is a matter of personal opinion, it certainly felt more entertaining than simply constantly pressing A like in some RPGs.

It's repetitive because the enemies are undiverse gameplay wise, the attacks are undiverse, and there's no real growth to Mario's arsenal or abilities. You're doing mostly the same thing to the enemies throughout the entire game.

Your timed hits are even in there too, just like in previous games.

And they're been reduced to one of two action commands: Mashing the A button, or pressing the A button with specific timing. That's it, aside from the Squirt Gun. Even the Superguard is gone.

Bosses can be obnoxiously long, if you don't know their weakness. It's not that hard to figure them out though, and it's not like trial and error is a bad thing, in an RPG especially. Balance?

1. The problem with the bosses is that they're either way to hard or way to easy. There's no in between, and gameplay wise they're a huge step down from PM64 and TTYD.

2. Trial and error IS a bad thing. That's a simple truth.

It seemed like they gave out a nice array of HP-Ups throughout the game, and if you felt it to become too easy, just don't pick those up. Honestly, the game felt like a great challenge rate after the easiness that was SPM.

There's little challenge because the the sticker balancing is terrible. Some Stickers can easily wipe the floor with most enemies, while others aren't ever worth using.

And guess what? You're encouraged to blast through battles because of the Coin Bonus for defeating enemies without any damage taken. The Battle Spinner only makes this worse, and defeating most enemy encounters just comes down to blasting through them with 2 or 3 attacks in a row with overpowered stickers. You don't get to experience the enemies properly, which is probably why the developers didn't put much effort into making the enemies interesting gameplay wise.

Things are fine too. Using them in the overworld was creative, finding them however I'll admit was a bit rough (but hey, exploration isn't a bad thing to introduce). They work fine in battle, their overpoweredness makes up for large sticker space taken up. I rarely even used them because they're really expensive too. I think they could have done a little bit of a better job with it, but it seems to me like you're just over exaggerating it.

There are several crippling issues with "Thing" usage in the field:
1) Almost every "puzzle" has only one solution, and at most it's two.
2) Some solutions to puzzles aren't ones that will be reached through creative thought, and you almost always need to use the most boring, simple solution possible. The exceptions are the ones which are blatantly obvious, like the Bowling Pin puzzle.
3) If you guess the wrong solution, you outright lose the sticker, rather than just getting it back or getting the "Thing" back.
4) There's never any hint to where the "Thing" you need will be. You just have to aimlessly look around previous levels and then guess and check to see if the ones you find work.

It's even worse in boss battles, as the "Things" you need to use aren't what most people would think of. Heck, how would someone guess the solution before even knowing what the boss is?
---
#10Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/26/2013 4:22:14 PM(edited)
I don't feel like arguing about the game anymore since it's clear that your opinion is final. Still though, I must say that the whole trial and error thing (as well as exploration) is not a bad thing in games. You may not prefer them, but there are people who do. Heck, exploration is the defining point of many games, and it's not like it takes that much effort to do. Trial and error isn't that bad either. Some people don't want to be spoonfed solutions.

And to answer your question: *spoilers*

-Goomba: The fan was obvious, wasn't it? If it wasn't clear enough, Nintendo showed them being used against that boss in the video. You didn't have that many things to use at that time anyway.

-Pokey: It's in a baseball field. I mean, okay, you didn't see that until the actual fight, but you could have come back.

-Blooper: The sponge makes the most sense for a water and ink based boss. The only thing I could think of otherwise is the fishing hook, but you already used it for the Cheep Cheep (the Toad gave you that info anyway).

-Blizzard: Anything fire. That couldn't have been more obvious...

I didn't include Petey because I don't think he had one. At least for World 4 people could have guessed it'd be an ice boss. I don't even think it's an issue.
---