I'm kind of surprised at the lack of defenders of this game

#21crispyoPosted 6/30/2013 5:09:32 AM
Im really liking this gane so far.
---
3DS FC: 4253-3731-6211
#22Sega9599Posted 6/30/2013 4:03:26 PM
wiiking96 posted...

2. You shouldn't have to run from the battle and then backtrack back because the game didn't make something clear to you. That's just bad game design.

that's a bit too black and white. if there is a way to make the boss easier, and you don't explore/talk to people to find out what that way is, then I kinda feel that's your own fault. In RPGs, the general rules is speak to everyone, explore everywhere.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#23wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 5:58:34 PM
Sega9599 posted...
wiiking96 posted...

2. You shouldn't have to run from the battle and then backtrack back because the game didn't make something clear to you. That's just bad game design.

that's a bit too black and white. if there is a way to make the boss easier, and you don't explore/talk to people to find out what that way is, then I kinda feel that's your own fault. In RPGs, the general rules is speak to everyone, explore everywhere.

You ignore the main point here. Players don't have a reasonable way to even know that bosses have weaknesses that you need to exploit. NPCs don't give hints on boss weaknesses either, with the exception of the giant Cheep Cheep.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#24greatdimentioPosted 6/30/2013 6:45:06 PM
This game blew its high potential. It doesn't deserve to be defended, it deserves to fade into history as the worst Paper Mario and the same mistake shouldn't happen again. The game I think needs more defense is Super Paper Mario. It is just as strong as the first two IMO. The reason I play Mario RPG's is for the story and characters. Sure, gameplay matters a lot but it is stronger in the main Mario series. Sticker Star is basically bad all around. No story, no interesting characters, bad gameplay, broken battle system, come on, Nintendo, this is not how you bring a game back to its roots! Give us another TTYD or even SPM-styled game on Wii U and I'll forgive this monstrosity.
---
I support Fawful for Mario Kart 8!
Copy this into your signature if you do too!
#25SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/1/2013 9:14:41 AM
I feel sad for people who only play RPGs for their story.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#26megasoniczxxPosted 7/1/2013 4:41:22 PM
Sinfullyvannila posted...
I feel sad for people who only play RPGs for their story.

To be fair, it is sort of half the reason RPG's are even played and honestly without the story for some RPG's they wouldn't even be worth playing.
---
Time to blast off with sonic speed
3DS FC: 1204-0472-2121
#27SMASHKING84Posted 7/1/2013 8:52:32 PM
about the fan:the biggest problem is even if you knew to use it the game gives you no real hint when to use it. if you use at the wrong time it's wasted.

it's like this "Sir some time during this fight you must hit this bat with a stick but if you use at the wrong time it'll break and not work"
---
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. unfortunately i chose the former.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqkRU6WB10
#28Czar_YoshiPosted 7/2/2013 12:01:07 AM
Sega9599 posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Problem: Every NPC in the game looks identical (except for the one with the creased head) and none of them have anything interesting to say. In short, it's really, really hard to remember who you talked to, especially when the "hints" are given at certain times by otherwise inconspicuous Toads with no hint they have something different to say.

An example of the proper way to handle NPC-related progress is the Mr. Mime in Explorers of Sky. Because all of the NPCs in the hub town have unique personalities/appearences, and about half of them are vested in the story with some reaction to what you've been doing lately, it doesn't take long for you to notice there's a new guy and wonder if he's got anything for you. You don't need to find him in some ridiculous corner, he doesn't look like anyone else, and he's newly appeared.

But Sticker Star? Nooo, you need to talk to every single boring, generic Toad after every single chapter to have a hope of getting a useful hint before a boss fight. Fortunately they're not required and you can just push the Hopslipper button to win anyways.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
See how my mustache moves in the wind!
#29akwan_tarotPosted 7/5/2013 4:02:36 AM
wiiking96 posted...
There were a fair amount initially, but they went away pretty quickly. It's not at all like with Metroid: Other M, which still has plenty of rabid defenders.

I liked this game, and initially tended to defend it a bit. And then, there were so many great games coming out on the 3DS after (and also before) this one, I got so busy playing that I didn't bother to revisit here very often.

Especially Megaten 4 and Cardfight Vanguard.
#30MagnemightPosted 7/5/2013 7:47:15 AM
Czar_Yoshi posted...
But Sticker Star? Nooo, you need to talk to every single boring, generic Toad after every single chapter to have a hope of getting a useful hint before a boss fight. Fortunately they're not required and you can just push the Hopslipper button to win anyways.

y'know, I've always found Flashy Slaphammers to be a far more effective/enjoyable way to fight bosses than hopslippers, particularly considering how every hopslipper does the same damage against a shiny enemy

Things can still do a lot of damage, too

and POW Blocks are fun to work with

and once you get to World 5, you get access to Infijumps and their free 100 damage

as well as Clone Jumps, which are still pretty effective

really hopslippers aren't that great beyond the first two bosses
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.