How good do you think this game is/10?

#11StephenYap3Posted 6/29/2013 10:40:47 AM(edited)
CaioNV posted...
@StephenYap3 why do you hate Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time?

I felt that it was Superstar Saga with everything good about it thrown out the window. The story was uninspiring, the non-main characters (other than Kylie Koopa and E. Gadd) were very forgettable, the game was far too linear and short (Sticker Star was shorter, but that's a different story), and the humor was dull. I can't even remember at least one part in the game I found myself chuckling.

As for the gameplay, I could handle the removal of a few things from a game's predecessor (like Final Fantasy VI dumping Final Fantasy V's Job System), but not when a successor removes plenty of essential things and Alpha Dream is guilty of this. The fun, unique, and strategic battle system of Superstar Saga has been mauled down to a dull, generic, and depthless battle system. The Bros Attacks have been replaced with button-mashing repetitive minigame fests and they're no longer unique to each of the Bros, making them unforgivingly generic and taking away the strategy that made its predecessor fun. Even worst, they're incredibly broken and can make even the final boss look like a Goomba, especially when you have the Ulti-Free Badge on both Bros. The game was incredibly too easy. I remembered doing a "No Single Coin Spent" run twice and I still managed to win easily.

But aside from these, I did like the graphics on PiT. I felt that they were the best that M&L has to offer, especially a boss's death animation. THAT was awesome. Aside from the battle music tracks, I thought the soundtrack was...pretty good. And lastly, even though they took up too much of the game, I do like the Baby Bros for being...babies, especially Baby Luigi.

Overall, Partners in Time was, even today, the worst Mario RPG I ever played and I can't even remember the very last time I touched it. If Superstar Saga hadn't existed, I most likely would've taken back the hate I had for PiT and BIS, especially the former. I am deeply sorry if my opinions are crippling you or anybody reading this, but this is how I honestly thought about it. I don't like starting arguements.

P.S. I'm still getting Dream Team since I'm a sucker for Mario RPGs.
---
Awaiting for NEW Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (Classic style), Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Mario Sports Mix successor on Wii U...
#12megasoniczxxPosted 6/29/2013 11:35:42 AM
Mariofan15 posted...
4/10. This game was a mess and nothing about it is even remotely memorable.

Wait I thought you liked this paper mario (sorry if your a different guy from the one on youtube).
---
Time to blast off with sonic speed
3DS FC: 1204-0472-2121
#13StephenYap3Posted 6/29/2013 12:34:20 PM
megasoniczxx posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

Wait I thought you liked this paper mario (sorry if your a different guy from the one on youtube).

I read his opinion about this game on a different topic on the Nintendo 3DS board. He hated it.
---
Awaiting for NEW Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (Classic style), Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Mario Sports Mix successor on Wii U...
#14Mariofan15Posted 6/29/2013 12:54:11 PM
megasoniczxx posted...
Mariofan15 posted...

No,I dont. I hate this game.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:2452-5385-5607
#15RundazPosted 6/29/2013 3:53:36 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario-sticker-star/66343550/748699566

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997828-paper-mario-sticker-star/66343550/748699884

Sums it all up. It's mostly stuff I forgot to add in my review.
---
That never would have happened if I'd been there
#16SullyTheStrangePosted 6/30/2013 3:49:11 AM
6/10

Some cool ideas but bad execution in most regards. No story to speak of. Throwaway characters. No real incentive to battle. Puzzles that are insultingly simple, ridiculously obscure, or don't let things that SHOULD work, work.

Outside of the occasional good puzzle, the only redeeming quality is the visuals.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#17greatdimentioPosted 7/5/2013 3:10:33 PM
1/10 it makes me barf. Seriously, throwing it all away after all the effort you put into SPM's story? Ugh...
---
I support Fawful for Mario Kart 8!
Copy this into your signature if you do too!
#18ckpy8Posted 7/5/2013 7:59:04 PM
6/10. The game's battle system had promise to it, but took a cheap way out of establishing any depth when it mattered most: Boss battles. The need to find arbitrary objects in order to beat boss battles ruined the once great boss battles of the Paper Mario series, and made for an overall forgettable experience. The lack of plot made the game very weak, and made the locations seem more like random paths the player had to follow than important areas.
#19Czar_YoshiPosted 7/5/2013 11:02:06 PM
I played through this game once. Up until cht.2-2, my motivation was reaching the Yoshi Sphinx from the e3 trailers in hopes it would be interesting. Once there, the interior design was cool, but it was just another chapter with no reason to be there, and was slightly underwhelming overall.

From there until 4-1, my motivation was seeing if things picked up later on. I got tripped up on the game's moon logic, though, did world 5 first, and then spent hours looking for the proper thing for the snowdrift, which was boring and completely killed my motivation.

From there until the end, I only went on so I could say I've completed the game, and in a vain hope that the game wouldn't throw the PM tradition of having a long, epic final dungeon out the window. It did, and what was left was a tiny hall with no music and an old man.

After a while, I tried replaying the game to see if it was any better when I wasn't bumbling around looking for random stickers to solve puzzles. It wasn't. I got bored in world 2 and haven't touched the game since.

Total gameplay time: 34 hours. That cost me more than $1 per hour. What a ripoff.

The graphics were pretty though, so it wasn't all bad. And early screenshots of this game caused me to jump the gun and buy a 3ds on launch (I wouldn't have done so if I hadn't seen them) so I effectively got Sacred Stones, Minish Cap and Yoshi's Island out of the deal. I give it a 4 overall.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
See how my mustache moves in the wind!
#20BigSexxxyNashPosted 7/14/2013 11:49:43 PM
I thought the game was pretty good,as far as level design and puzzle solving goes . After reading other topics on this board. My general since is that most complaintes are aimed at two thing. Repetitive story and the one time item use . While the story was lacking I whole heartily believe the game was just fine. The stages music and puzzle solving where just fine. But most boards I went on only had the two previously stated above complaintes about the game . I give the overall game 7 out of 10 . ''Just because a game isn't the same a before dosen't make a game bad'' Trial and Error will make the next one better.