So it's OUR fault that this game has no story?

#1HighRollerHydraPosted 10/13/2013 12:08:24 PM
From what I've read online, Club Nintendo users kept putting down that they didn't care for the "Story" from previous Paper Mario games, which led to the team watering down the plot...and something about Miyamoto saying that they didn't want this to be similar to Thousand Year Door...I'm confused.
#2wiiking96Posted 10/13/2013 3:27:22 PM
It was ridiculous poll that was obviously skewed and biased.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#3HighRollerHydra(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 3:30:52 PM
Makes me glad I passed this game up.
#4DMZappPosted 10/14/2013 10:02:03 AM
HighRollerHydra posted...
From what I've read online, Club Nintendo users kept putting down that they didn't care for the "Story" from previous Paper Mario games, which led to the team watering down the plot...and something about Miyamoto saying that they didn't want this to be similar to Thousand Year Door...I'm confused.

Intelligent Systems probably deliberately interpreted those results "from a certain point of view" to justify not having a story- that is, that many people (99%+) didn't actually put in question 5 that they didn't care for the story. Rather they also probably counted people who said nothing about the story at all.

...plus the idea that other users, such as wiiking96 (I think) bring up that considering it was a survey for Super Paper Mario, which was divisive as it was, it didn't help.

If it makes you feel any better, it's highly likely Intelligent Systems probably knows they mucked up epically for their cowardice, and we'll probably have the series staples in the next game (detailed story, new characters, well thought-out gameplay) to make up for it. They probably won't take Miyamoto's work as gospel next time.

In addition, don't worry about sales numbers being cited as precedent- Super Paper Mario made 1 million+ sales, yet it's gameplay wasn't continued for this...THING. I expect they'll be Abandoning the Sticker Adventure Battle Structure the same way.

As for Miyamoto....ever since the staff put in Rosalina's backstory in Super Mario Galaxy 1 without telling him, he's made it a point to not let any story be in any Mario games...and that's not a good thing.
---
Gameplay & story can and should work with each other, not against each other.
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#5rigadoogPosted 10/15/2013 5:16:20 PM
I agree with DMZ. Anyone who thinks that Club Nintendo survey results are indicative of anything at all is fooling themselves. I guess its possible that they only said that so consumers would take the surveys more seriously than they do, but thats really just a conspiracy theory.
#6greatdimentioPosted 10/15/2013 6:20:23 PM
The fact that they took out a great game element because of a bunch of lazy asses (me included) who fill out surveys without even reading them is horribly sad. Shame shame, I loved SPM's story.
---
I support Fawful for Mario Kart 8! Check out my forum: bit.ly/1544fjT
Sign this petition to support the Fawful for MK8 movement! --> bit.ly/17cCjGw
#7SpunkySixPosted 10/17/2013 9:06:14 PM
wiiking96 posted...
It was ridiculous poll that was obviously skewed and biased.

Hey, let's put up a game changingly vital poll where barely anybody will see it and let's make the question vague and direct poll takers toward a specific answer, then say we let the players decide! That's fair, right guis?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.