Difference between TAS and non-TAS speedruns for OoT?

  • Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  3. Difference between TAS and non-TAS speedruns for OoT?

User Info: Newgamer2009

Newgamer2009
5 years ago#1
What's the difference? Please don't give me a link, just tell me.
You just go tickle a ****ing penguin!-Ray William Johnson
This is a random username

User Info: Captain_Drek

Captain_Drek
5 years ago#2
Tool assisted speedrun.
If you're telekinetic and you know it clap my hands.
Official "Cow That Malon Gives You", of the OoT 3D Board.

User Info: Newgamer2009

Newgamer2009
5 years ago#3
captindrek09 posted...
Tool assisted speedrun.

But what does tool-assisted mean?
You just go tickle a ****ing penguin!-Ray William Johnson
This is a random username

User Info: mashystrr

mashystrr
5 years ago#4

From: Newgamer2009 | #003
But what does tool-assisted mean?


Basically means using a ROM and emulator to slow down the game in order to do things that aren't normally possible. They use frame advance in order to tricks that require input in a very precise amount of frames. Offhand, I don't know any TAS-only tricks for OoT, but a good example is in the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES where you would normally climb up ladders, but a TAS will be able to pretty much fly up a ladder.
XBL: mashystrr || http://www.last.fm/user/mashystrr
http://dlcquickplay.com/songs/mashystrr || http://www.rockband.com/users/mashystrr

User Info: Newgamer2009

Newgamer2009
5 years ago#5
Okay, thanks.
You just go tickle a ****ing penguin!-Ray William Johnson
This is a random username

User Info: Big_Isaac

Big_Isaac
5 years ago#6
another good example is metroid fusion
you normally can't use single-wall jumps or infinite bomb jumps in that game, but using frame advance and such, you can
it's the only way to sequence break it
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF rankings (out of 10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 7.5, VII: 6, VIII: 3, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 8.5, XII: 8

User Info: MetalKirbyPlush

MetalKirbyPlush
5 years ago#7
There's a form of infinite supersliding that moves just as fast as supersliding, but it requires hitting the Z button once every... I think 2 frames. If you are off even once at all, it will stop hence making it a TAS-only kind of technique.
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco

User Info: Newgamer2009

Newgamer2009
5 years ago#8
Aww, everyone is coming together to tell TSA techniques =D
You just go tickle a ****ing penguin!-Ray William Johnson
This is a random username

User Info: MasterAshKetchem

MasterAshKetchem
5 years ago#9
While the differences have pretty much been covered, I wanna add that I find TAS to be much more entertaining.
95% of all Zelda players are afraid of wallmasters. The other 5% are lying.
SS FC: 4855 9038 1698 ACCF FC: 0989-5874-7825 James @ Funky

User Info: Newgamer2009

Newgamer2009
5 years ago#10
One more question; what's Bottle Adventure?
You just go tickle a ****ing penguin!-Ray William Johnson
This is a random username
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  3. Difference between TAS and non-TAS speedruns for OoT?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

  • Topic Archived