What triggers the Skull Kid to appear when Link is an Adult.

#1donarPosted 3/8/2012 12:46:15 AM
NOTE: I have never played the 3DS version. I am only posting this here because the other boards are dead. So AFAIK this might all be different in the 3DS version, or it might not apply at all. It does apply to the N64 and Gamecube versions though.

I asked this years ago in the N64 board and we never figured out the trigger.

OK first off:

The Skull Kid room is the first left in the Lost Woods (it has 2 tree stumps).

As Adult Link the Skull Kid will try to fight you, if you kill him he gives up an orange rupee.

(I'm pretty sure he only appears after you completed the Adult Link trading sequence, or just the 2 parts of it that are in that room.)

Question What exactly triggers the Skull Kid to appear for Adult link. Alternately, something may trigger the Skull Kid to not appear for Adult link. Or perhaps both.

Reasoning I have played through OoT (seemingly) the exact same way before and have had the Skull Kid NEVER appear for Adult Link the entire game. Likewise, other games he does appear every time Adult Link goes to that room. So, there must be a trigger for him somewhere.

I've tried many different combinations of things, including the below.

Here are some of the Skull Kid interactions with young link:

1: Play him Saria's Song for a heart piece
2: Trade him Skull Mask
3: (Probably Unrelated) 2 Skull Kid's appear in another, opposite, Lost Woods room for a mini game.

...as well as Adult Link events that happen in that room:

1: To obtain the Odd Mushroom, Link must take Cojiro to the Lost Woods and present it to Grog
2: If Link returns to the area where he found Grog, Fado will be there instead. If Link gives her the Odd Potion, she will in turn give him the Poacher's Saw.

In summary, I have played games where I did all of the above and the Skull Kid still never appeared to fight Adult Link. There must be a trigger I'm missing.
#2NintendoerPosted 3/8/2012 4:14:53 AM
donar posted...
1: To obtain the Odd Mushroom, Link must take Cojiro to the Lost Woods and present it to Grog
2: If Link returns to the area where he found Grog, Fado will be there instead. If Link gives her the Odd Potion, she will in turn give him the Poacher's Saw.

That's odd. I thought that this was the trigger to make it appear.
---
Official Nintendoer of...whatever board I decide to post in.
#3banjo kazooiePosted 3/8/2012 5:57:25 AM
I'm pretty sure he's only there whenever neither Fado nor Grog are there.
---
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth.
#4ColebyPosted 3/8/2012 9:54:20 AM(edited)
^I remember fighting Skull Kid while Grog was there, so it's possible. I don't know about the 3DS version however.

And I thought Skull Kid appears as soon as Link turns into an adult.
---
"The PrematureEjaculation blues...any advice on beating this problem?"
"Shouldn't it be "The PrematureEjaculation whites..."?~luvbutts
#5banjo kazooiePosted 3/9/2012 12:38:30 AM
Hmm...

Have you tried standing on the lower "stump"?
---
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth.
#6donar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2012 10:35:08 PM
I've definitely had games where I did all of the things listed in the OP, and yet the Skull Kid never appeared to fight me.

There must be something that triggers him to appear, or something that triggers him to not appear.

I'm thinking that perhaps it is a weird dungeon order. That is the only thing I do differently each time I play.
#7LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/10/2012 5:15:40 AM
You have to give the guy the chicken, get his saw from the creepy Kokari girl, and then come back.

I've been playing through Master Quest and that's how I got him to appear.
#8guapo2003Posted 3/10/2012 8:13:33 PM
I have or had no idea that there was a possible trigger for Skull Kid to appear. Everytime I've played the game, both the N64 and 3DS versions, hes always been there every time I went with the exception of when I'm doing the trading sequence. He's been there before and after, so I doubt the trading sequence has anything to do with him other than him not appearing with the others are there.

Perhaps, it has something to do with when Link is a child and you have to have give him the Skull Mask and/or play Saria's Song to get the Heart Piece. I always do both before becoming an Adult the first time. I've never experitmented with it before, so I don't have a concrete answer, other than what I stated previously.
#9drcossackPosted 3/11/2012 11:38:08 AM

Perhaps, it has something to do with when Link is a child and you have to have give him the Skull Mask and/or play Saria's Song to get the Heart Piece. I always do both before becoming an Adult the first time. I've never experitmented with it before, so I don't have a concrete answer, other than what I stated previously.

That doesn't actually affect it. IF you give him the Skull Mask, he'll be wearing it when you meet as Adult Link.

As far as I'm aware, and as others have said, he can't appear during the trading sequence portions. I don't have a file where I can check this though.
---
Go Phillies!
Pokemon HeartGold FC: 4941-7651-2764. All standard rules apply (read: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, no Soul Dew [in OU] and OHKO moves banned)
#10donar(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2012 12:31:43 AM(edited)
Thanks for all the responses, at least if enough people are thinking about it someone might stumble upon what is making him not appear.

I've played through OoT a sad number of times, but only on the N64 and both GameCube versions as I said in the OP.

I'm not sure, but I think that the playthroughs where the Skull Kid never appeared to fight me when I was Adult Link were on the gamecube versions....

If I had to guess I would say I played through OoT maybe 50 to 100 times, and I know it happened at least 2 or 3 times.

I'm going to test the weird Dungeon Order theory next.