Thank God, no more forced waggle.

#1Lord_FroodPosted 2/14/2013 6:48:28 PM
Maybe time trial will actually be doable by normal humans now that I don't have a shoddy motion detection issue. DKCR was like a solid 8 for me, it will instantly be a 9 on this system due to controls alone.
---
Her name is Koko, she is loco, I said oh no!
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#2XXXB0BXXXPosted 2/14/2013 7:35:03 PM
Agreed, but instant 10.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Bm2Gq.png
#3chris1001 the sequelPosted 2/15/2013 1:54:54 AM
My number 1 frustration with the wii version: going for a puzzle piece that's under a flower where you have some sort of time limit to get it, and doing a roll away from it instead of blowing it.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#4ReDaZnDraGoN97Posted 2/15/2013 1:56:51 AM
I totally agree!
---
Not changing this sig until I think of something else to put on here
#5ChaosInvokerPosted 2/15/2013 2:33:28 AM
Is this confirmed? The 3DS has a motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

I hope so, cause that forced idea on the Wii didn't control well and felt unnecessarily tacked on for the sake of showing off the motion controller.
---
[ ;; [__] ;; ] * (BANG) * (+o' [___] ' ::)
[ + [__] :: ] {clash of the pocket size toys}
#6DeathSoul2000Posted 2/15/2013 4:14:55 AM
ChaosInvoker posted...

I hope so, cause that forced idea on the Wii didn't control well and felt unnecessarily tacked on for the sake of showing off the motion controller.

you can't seriously think they'll force waggle on a handheld??? can you imagine the backlash they'd get about shaking the whole system?
#7gransPosted 2/15/2013 8:29:02 AM

It's pretty safe to say at this point that they've remapped waggling to a button now. I had the same fears at first until I watched the trailer for the 3DS port. At the end of the trailer where DK punches the crap out of the tiki mask, you'd normally see an icon telling you to shake the wiimote in the original version. But in the 3DS version's trailer, it shows an icon of the X button instead indicating that you tap the button instead of shaking the system. That to be is pretty fair confirmation that this control mechanic is now mapped to a button. I'm willing to bet Retro heard some of the complaints about the waggle controls, that was one of the few complaints people had about the game but it was also one shared by the majority of reviewers and players. They're probably aware that people wanted buttons instead of waggling.

Though I will say that I hope the run/grab button isn't also one of the ABXY buttons. X seems to have taken over the roll and shake mechanic if we go by the end scene in the trailer. I'd wager it's almost a sure thing that jumping is the A button. It would be very awkward trying to juggle between three face buttons while trying to simultaneously run, roll, and jump. Hopefully they had the sense to map the run action to a shoulder button instead of one of the ABXY ones. That's the way Rayman Origins handled its controls, jump and attack were mapped to the 4 face buttons and run was one of the shoulder buttons.

Or at least have an option to remap the controls.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#8XXXB0BXXXPosted 2/15/2013 8:35:14 AM
I'm praying there's an option to remap the controls. Original DKC controls or bust
---
#9gransPosted 2/15/2013 9:29:33 AM(edited)
I'm praying there's an option to remap the controls. Original DKC controls or bust

I don't think replicating the original SNES controls would work well. The original DKC worked very well with the run, barrel grab, and rolling all mapped to the Y button. But to replicate that in DKC Returns 3D, they'll have to separate the ground pound move into its own dedicated button (X). Otherwise I think too many actions will be competing for the same button, that'd be a bit of a mess.

But there's another problem. Returns has a very different feeling to the movement, momentum, and physics from the original DKC trilogy. Waggling sucked but I can definitely see why they'd want to map the run and roll moves to their own separate buttons just due to how the game feels when moving around. I don't think having running and rolling mapped to the same button would have work as well for Returns due to the way the game feels from a control/physics/momentum perspective. Worked for DKC on SNES, I just don't think it would work quite as well here. And you can't just go changing the physics and momentum either, the level designs are constructed around that as well and would also have to be changed accordingly.

I'm expecting that the 3DS port again controls similarly to Rayman Origins. Rolling and ground pounding mapped mapped to one of the ABXY buttons, jump mapped to another ABXY button, and running to one of the shoulder buttons. That kind of control scheme works well with very momentum-heavy platformers such as these. If all of those controls are mapped to just the ABXY buttons then it's going to feel pretty awkward.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#10XXXB0BXXXPosted 2/15/2013 9:24:27 AM

The original DKC worked very well with the run, barrel grab, and rolling all mapped to the Y button. But to replicate that in DKC Returns 3D, they'll have to separate the ground pound move into its own dedicated button (X). Otherwise I think too many actions will be competing for the same button, that'd be a bit of a mess.

Now that could probably be done pretty easily, just rearranging the button mechanics a bit. But there's another problem. Returns has a very different feeling to the movement, momentum, and physics from the original DKC trilogy. Waggling sucked but I can definitely see why they'd want to map the run and roll moves to separate buttons just due to how the game feels when moving around. I don't think having running and rolling mapped to the same button would have work as well for Returns due to the way the game feels from a control/physics perspective. Worked for DKC on SNES, I just don't think it would work quite as well here.

I agree that the ground pound should be X, but rolling needs to be Y.
---