Geeze this probably means Nintendo will further force the Tikis down our throats

#1Thenumber1yoshiPosted 2/26/2013 12:58:23 PM(edited)
I mean not just in this game, but Nintendo has a history of forcing game templates down gamers' throats. I mean when Yoshi's Story came out everything from Smash Bros. to artwork to pretty much anything representing the Yoshi series used the storybook theme, it took until the GBA port of the original Yoshi's Island to spawn Touch & Go and Yoshi's Island DS before Nintendo went back to using a tropical island theme again, and even then they've kept Yoshi's voice style from Yoshi's Story in all the games to this day I mean his DJ scratching a record sound effect was last used briefly as a sound effect in the GBA Yoshi's Island and only fully in Mario Party 3 which by the 4th one dropped it in favor of the Yoshi's Story one. Then when Wind Waker came out every handheld Zelda title used the Toon Link style and designs in each game (even the ones that didn't look like cel-shaded that were on the GBA), and then there are ones Nintendo refuses to let go even though it's been very long after their release like Mario Sunshine. Sunshine stuff made it into Brawl, a music track and Beach stage in the DS remake of Mario 64, and even has stuff from it shoehorned into Galaxy.

And I'm afraid since that both Mario Kart 7 used the DKCR Tiki template and that this is just a remake of the Wii DKCR game that the Tikis will not only be replacing the Kremlings once in this game but in everything from Mario Kart, to Mario Sports games, and the future DK stage in Smash Bros. 4. I'm pretty pissed that this means they might completely replace the Kremlings and every last thing that the Donkey Kong stages and stuff that used Rare's elements in them when representing the DK series. Meaning that due to not even a handheld game at least having them means the Kremlings and K.Rool have been shelved in favor of the stupid Tikis and everything else from DKCR being used in games that have stuff representing the DKC series.

So pretty much the only characters we can expect from the DKC series to see from now until the next new DKC game is Donkey, Diddy, Cranky, Rambi, and maybe if we're lucky Sqwaks (I say maybe because all he was in the game was a power up).

It just pisses me off that the old enemies of past DKC and DKC-related games are going to be replaced by the Stupid Tiki enemies when Nintendo uses a template to represent a DK themed stage in future games. I'm pissed because Nintendo's been known to force game templates down people's throats when they represent series in future games, I don't want K. Rool and the Kremlings shelved until the next DKC game but this game seems pretty much like they're going to be I mean look at the previous examples I listed up there of them doing it to other series. I don't want that to be the fate of the previous DKC Villains.
#2metroidhunterxPosted 2/28/2013 1:17:24 AM
You may have something there. I never really thought about it too hard until I read this, and it seems to ring true.

Now we wait for that one guy who insists stomping on bongo drum tikis is a great design choice. 'Cause, you know, everyone stomps on bongos or whatever. I guess that's how they're played, nowadays.
#3UltraOshawottPosted 3/10/2013 11:35:27 AM
This isn't your generation anymore.
---
Games on my Preorder List: N/A
#4BringerOfPiePosted 3/10/2013 10:38:08 PM
You know, I miss the Kremlings too, but this just seems like a mindless rant about nothing beyond "I HATE TIKIS" to me.

Of course Nintendo's gonna keep using new assets that it introduces in its franchises. Why wouldn't they keep using characters and scenery introduced in games like Sunshine? I think it would've been a huge shame to not see that stuff again. Especially since Nintendo is so often accused of repeating the same themes over and over again.

And honestly, the Tikis weren't that bad. They weren't the Kremlings, but they were infinitely better than whatever acid trip atrocities appeared in Jungle Beat. THOSE characters sucked.
#5Thenumber1yoshi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 4:08:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Thenumber1yoshi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 9:40:33 AM
BringerOfPie posted...
You know, I miss the Kremlings too, but this just seems like a mindless rant about nothing beyond "I HATE TIKIS" to me.

Of course Nintendo's gonna keep using new assets that it introduces in its franchises. Why wouldn't they keep using characters and scenery introduced in games like Sunshine? I think it would've been a huge shame to not see that stuff again. Especially since Nintendo is so often accused of repeating the same themes over and over again.

And honestly, the Tikis weren't that bad. They weren't the Kremlings, but they were infinitely better than whatever acid trip atrocities appeared in Jungle Beat. THOSE characters sucked.

Don't tell me they didn't try to force the Storybook theme down the throats of people who played the Yoshi series or anything representing it , believe me when I say that the tropical island theme was completely replaced up until the GBA port of the original Yoshi's Island helped spawn Touch & Go and Yoshi's Island DS before Nintendo even went back to how the Yoshi series' theme was before Yoshi's Story's storybook theme took over, pretty much two Smash Bros. games used the Storybook theme and only used a kind of tropical Island after Touch & Go and Yoshi's Island DS. Plus if you look at most of the handheld Zelda titles after Wind Waker they all pretty much use any design that Wind Waker had only in 2D and not cel-shaded.

Plus going back to the Yoshi series you do realize Yoshi's old voice of the reversed scratching a record sound effect has been completely replaced by the Yoshi's Story styled voice (it was even replaced in the GBA port of Yoshi's Island which has the old voice but only uses it after getting Baby Mario back and in the intro that plays after selecting a file)?

I mean yeah Nintendo does use stuff from new games but they've also been known to shove the old ones aside until a new game reintroduces that stuff. Believe me I'm getting worried since the Mario Kart 7 DK track used the Tikis in them and that we might not see the Kremlings until DKCR 2 reintroduces them, it's not that I'm against them using new stuff, it's just I hate that they use new stuff but completely shelve old assets until a new game brings those assets back, Mario Sunshine isn't the only example I've seen it done, they did it to the Yoshi series too, I mean look at how long Nintendo used that storybook theme between then and the time when they did go back to actually using a tropical island, I'm just worried the Kremlings and K.Rool will be MIA in favor of the Tikis in Mario Sports games, Smash Bros. or pretty much anything that represents the DK series until a DKCR 2 actually brings them back but my issue is that I don't want to see them shelved until then.
#7Thenumber1yoshi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 12:10:12 PM
Plus at least the bosses in Jungle Beat did their own dirty work as did the bosses in the Kremling army, only the weakest Tikis ever do anything themselves, and most of the time the only interesting enemies are the Animal enemies that aren't Tikis, plus like I said the bosses in the Tiki army don't even do their own dirty work, instead they hide behind mind-controlled animals for the entire fight, and them being small and threatless is no excuse if they could have made Tiki Tong who's pretty much the only boss to not hide behind a mind-controlled animal fight on his own they sure as hell could have designed other Tiki bosses to fight on their own.

Believe me another reason I think the Tikis are lamer than the Kremlings and even the Jungle Beat enemies is that their bosses with the exception of Tiki Tong don't even do their own dirty work, not even Jungle Beat's bosses were so lame they hid behind something else the whole fight. Not to mention if anything the bosses in the Tiki army only further force a Jungle Beat mentality into the game with you pounding them with motion controls after the fight, plus them being small and unable to fight on their own isn't a justifiable enough reason since Retro clearly could make a Tiki boss fight on it's own with the final boss (which I still find lame since it's just the millionth Nintendo boss fight against a pair of hands) if anything it just further proves that Retro Studios was being too lazy to actually design Tiki bosses to be able to fight on their own without hiding behind something else and force it to do their dirty work the whole fight.

If anything that makes them not only lamer than the Kremlings but also the Jungle Beat enemies at least the bosses in those games actually did their own dirty work when they fought you.