What's with the sudden hate for the original trilogy's water levels?

#1Thenumber1yoshiPosted 2/27/2013 1:00:06 PM(edited)
I mean how did they suddenly go from being one of the things the DKC trilogy got right compared to other 2D platformers, to being just as despised as much as the ones in the Sonic the Hedgehog games? I mean the controls aren't that difficult (I personally found Sqwaks and Qwaks levels like Parrot-chute Panic, and Animal Antics harder to control than the water levels) or different between the two Kongs other than one slightly swimming faster than the other Kong. I mean there's no oxygen meter making you hurry to the surface before drowning (the closest we got to this was water turning boiling hot in lava lagoon in DKC 2) I mean if it's an issue with darkness in Glimmer's Galleon than why don't I see the hate in DKC 1 for Black Out Basement or the cave level where Sqwaks had to light the place up? The music was amazing and I know you're defenseless but not for every single part of the level, they gave you Enguarde the Swordfish to defend yourself from the enemies in a lot of water levels.

I mean is just saying that every decision Retro made and everything they excluded was a good idea just a cool thing to do? I mean is it just cool to insult the original trilogy's stuff like that for little to no reason? I don't know which games you people were playing but the original trilogy's water levels weren't cons or something that was taken out for the better. I mean they were amazing and not the pieces of crap that everyone is claiming they were I don't get why so many people are quick to just trash them like that, you want an example of poor water levels in a platformer play levels like Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1, seriously did you people even play them? Like I said is it just cool to say Retro every last choice was for the better and to just trash the original trilogy and it's creators holding Retro on a high pedestal to the point where people think anything they make is godly and rag on the original DKCs? If so that's really sad and those who do that make me sick to my stomach.
#2metroidhunterxPosted 2/28/2013 12:53:20 AM
You might as well save your breath on that one. Back when DKC was a new thing, everyone loved the water levels. Now everyone hates them, because it's trendy. Maybe it's just that they want to justify not having having them by pretending they were terrible to begin with. Who knows? I find it hilarious that people just love the single button rocket booster levels. These are modeled after one of the final levels in DKC3, where you steer a rocket left and right, dodging obstacles and enemies. There was a reason it was the only level of its kind. It was annoying as hell to play any more than one time.
#3XXXB0BXXXPosted 2/28/2013 5:50:14 PM
How can anyone hate the water levels? They had the best music and atmosphere.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Bm2Gq.png
#4Thenumber1yoshi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 11:13:33 AM(edited)
XXXB0BXXX posted...

Oh believe me I've read plenty of posts in topics at the Wii DKCR board and the split gaming board where people actually think getting rid of the water levels was for the better. One of the things I read someone post was that DKCR removing them was a pro and not a con. I don't get it myself either, personally I agree with metroidhunter here about the rocket levels in DKCR and how they're annoying and don't understand why anyone would actually take those over the water levels. But I can tell you I've read way too many posts in too many topics about people actually expressing that they're happy the water levels are gone that it's pushed me beyond being just simply upset (or even pissed for that matter) after I've read them.
#5The_SchoolistPosted 3/2/2013 11:10:03 PM
Oh...my. That's disappointing. I loved the water levels too. I never played this game on Wii. Had it and played the first level and got annoyed by the wagging and never continued it. But I'm getting this one because that trailer looked epic! I'm glad I never played it originally haha.

There weren't even that many water levels...they were a nice change of pace and had beautiful music. And weren't even that hard.
---
Just pretend that there's something clever written here, because, right now, there isn't, and it boggles my mind why you are even reading this.
#6blazeUP12Posted 3/3/2013 1:16:32 PM
I still love the DKC water levels
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
#7XXXB0BXXXPosted 3/3/2013 1:43:37 PM
I can't remember the music for the water levels of DKC2, but the water themes for 1 and 3 are some of my favorite songs in the series.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Bm2Gq.png
#8ateballPosted 3/6/2013 2:07:37 AM
I've always hated water levels in every game. I think the DKC series actually did a decent job with making me actually grow to like them, atleast with DKC2 and DKC3...I'm still not a fan of the original DKC's water levels though
---
Now Playing: AC3, NBA2K13, WWE 13
PSN: 96VTECGSR XBL: KrimZon281
#9ateballPosted 3/6/2013 2:17:07 AM
Thenumber1yoshi posted...
XXXB0BXXX posted...

Oh believe me I've read plenty of posts in topics at the Wii DKCR board and the split gaming board where people actually think getting rid of the water levels was for the better. One of the things I read someone post was that DKCR removing them was a pro and not a con. I don't get it myself either, personally I agree with metroidhunter here about the rocket levels in DKCR and how they're annoying and don't understand why anyone would actually take those over the water levels. But I can tell you I've read way too many posts in too many topics about people actually expressing that they're happy the water levels are gone that it's pushed me beyond being just simply upset (or even pissed for that matter) after I've read them.

Water levels just aren't fun and its hard to make them anything but annoying. Water levels in any type of platformer has always boiled down to this: make the controls alot more slippery to take away control from the player and make them swim through obstacles to give the illusion of difficulty. The sequels made this much less of an issue and I'll even go as far to say that some of the water levels were fun but the original DKC was guilty of being just plain annoying and tedious with the water levels.

The only reason I can tolerate these in the original is because of David Wise.
---
Now Playing: AC3, NBA2K13, WWE 13
PSN: 96VTECGSR XBL: KrimZon281
#10BringerOfPiePosted 3/10/2013 12:07:17 AM
I've always liked water levels in 2D games (Sonic aside). It's 3D games where they suck, mainly because underwater camera and control is such a pain to get right (the Banjo games came the closest to getting it right). But I've never minded 2D water levels, especially the DKC series. I think Enguarde was a big factor in that, because on Enguarde, you have swift underwater movement without having to mash a button to tread water.

Not to mention DKC2 in particular was creative with its water stages, featuring them in the ship holds that set them apart from Generic Coral Reef.